ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Was I knowingly sold a Money Pit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 04:44 PM
ebilyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was I knowingly sold a Money Pit?

I purchased a 2007 ES350 with 50K miles in January 2014 (two months ago) from a Lexus dealership 500 miles from home. Yep, I traveled far away to get what I thought was a great deal with the color/options I wanted. Anyway...Today, with 55K miles, I took it to my local Lexus dealership for an oil change. They told me that it has an oil leak, and the service technician seemed surprised that it wasn't identified by the selling dealership (though he acknowledged that it might have occurred during my two months of ownership). The selling dealership had done an oil/filter change just before selling it to me. I asked my local dealership (today) if was known where the leak was coming from, and the technician said they can't really tell until it's broken down to see more clearly. I'm pretty sure that he said it was near the "front cover," and on my receipt, they noted "Recommended Head Gasket/Front Cover Reseal. Lexus Factory informed." Strangely enough, the service technician said that it will be a few days before he hears back from the factory, but "we should be ok" (???)

The original in-service date was May 2006; therefore, I purchased it without any manufacturers warranty, and my purchase documents clearly state that I purchased it as-is. I have not purchased any extended warranty either.

There was VERY limited information in the Lexus vehicle history when I purchased -- just two recalls performed (floor mats and trunk release lever), and an oil change during the days before I purchased it. No TSBs, etc. appear to have ever been done.

What should be my next step(s)? Do I have any recourse? I don't want to make any mistakes in how this is handled.

Thank you, in advance, for any comments, suggestions, etc. that you have.

Eric

Last edited by ebilyn; 03-18-14 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate information
Old 03-19-14, 01:23 AM
MikePA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ebilyn
...the service technician said that it will be a few days before he hears back from the factory...

What should be my next step(s)?
Wait for your local dealer to hear from the factory.

What else would you do?
Old 03-19-14, 09:37 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Based on what you are saying is that the timing cover is leaking? If that 's the case, factory won't be able to help you, it is the dealer that sold it to you that should really correct that, but with buying it as-is you may be out of luck there. So you may have to pay for the repair yourself...

Otherwise, if it is oil hose leak that may be covered by Lexus as it is a known problem...