ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Code P0015 for VVTi oil control valve needs a $1200 repair???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 02:58 AM
LexusFan2
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Code P0015 for VVTi oil control valve needs a $1200 repair???

Hi,

Own a 2007 ES 350 with 93k miles that recently had the check engine light go off. Took it to a local Toyota dealer who called back with code P0015 and said the variable valve timing oil control valve needed to be replaced.

He said there were two on this engine, one on the right and left hand side of the engine. One of these needed to be placed but I don't recall which one he mentioned.

Regardless, he quoted $350 for parts and $800 for labor and mentioned the PCV valve would also need to be replaced. Anyone else need this done or have comments on the diagnosis?
Old 03-14-14, 09:08 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

What they said is correct. I would first erase the code and drive for a bit and see if it comes back...
Old 03-14-14, 09:57 AM
LexusFan2
Driver

I'll suggest that to the dealer.

Can the car still be driven with this error code or must it be repaired immediately? I didn't notice any drop in performance when driving to the dealer.
Old 03-14-14, 12:50 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

You can drive it, before and after the code is cleared...
Old 03-15-14, 09:49 AM
LexusFan2
Driver

What exactly does this oil control valve do? What are the symptoms when it's not functioning properly?
Old 03-15-14, 11:24 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There are four oil control solenoid valves (one for each of the four camshafts.....one intake camshaft, one exhaust camshaft for each cylinder bank) that control/direct engine pressure oil to control the intake and exhaust valve timing to improve the efficiency of the engine and to control emissions. The oil control solenoids are controlled by the ECM. The P0015 fault code has been set by the ECM and is for an "overretarded" exhaust camshaft, Bank 1 (rear) which will cause the exhaust valves to be opening/closing late. You can Google this.
I'd be surprised if you have not felt some change in the engine operation/performance, and I would get this issue repaired quickly.
The solenoid valves are mounted in the top of the camshaft covers and even the rear bank solenoid valves are not that difficult to access and are retained by a single bolt. The camshaft timing oil supply tube to each camshaft cover (and the solenoid valves) has a "pilot" filter (at each banjo fitting connection) that SHOULD be removed, cleaned and reinstalled as part of the diagnosing and repair of this issue.
Old 03-15-14, 11:53 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgrump
There are four oil control solenoid valves (one for each of the four camshafts.....one intake camshaft, one exhaust camshaft for each cylinder bank) that control/direct engine pressure oil to control the intake and exhaust valve timing to improve the efficiency of the engine and to control emissions. The oil control solenoids are controlled by the ECM. The P0015 fault code has been set by the ECM and is for an "overretarded" exhaust camshaft, Bank 1 (rear) which will cause the exhaust valves to be opening/closing late. You can Google this.
I'd be surprised if you have not felt some change in the engine operation/performance, and I would get this issue repaired quickly.
The solenoid valves are mounted in the top of the camshaft covers and even the rear bank solenoid valves are not that difficult to access and are retained by a single bolt. The camshaft timing oil supply tube to each camshaft cover (and the solenoid valves) has a "pilot" filter (at each banjo fitting connection) that SHOULD be removed, cleaned and reinstalled as part of the diagnosing and repair of this issue.
You're the best... You are so knowledgeable ... Just curious - are you an engineer?
Old 03-15-14, 01:02 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

I'm not a P engineer.......worked with a bunch. As a kid I tinkered with anything that had an engine and I've owned at least one car built in every decade from, and including, the '50s to the present (except for the '70s), and have done most of the maintenance and repairs myself. Plus four boats. Earned a living in the technical side of the airline industry for thirty four years, with most of those years dealing with the maintenance, repair and overhaul of our airline's large gas turbine (jet) engines.
Old 03-19-14, 07:15 AM
LexusFan2
Driver

Thanks to all who replied. I went ahead and had the repair completed at the dealer as quoted.

Very disappointed that a car that has been well maintained required such an expensive repair.
Old 03-19-14, 08:50 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

What exactly did they do? What did they charge for the parts, and how many hours labor?
Old 03-20-14, 10:32 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Quote will likely be different for you two since he is in US, and Canadian dealers typically charge more for parts and labor... Hopefully you don't have the same problem!
Old 03-20-14, 12:16 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

I was just wondering why the quoted repair cost was so high?
Old 03-21-14, 09:37 AM
LexusFan2
Driver

The car was repaired at a local Toyota dealer, not a Lexus dealer. Here is what's listed on the invoice.

Error code P0015 - diagnostic test replace faulty bank LH oil control valve(s) and related parts

Parts:

(3) 17176-0P021 gasket, air surge
(1) 11214-0P040 gasket, cylinder
(1) 11213-0P010 gasket, cylinder
(1) 12204-20040 PCV valve
(1) 15330-0P020 valve assembly, CAM T
(1) 15330-0P030 valve assembly, CAM T

Total parts: $379.81
Total labor: $823.88 (no number of hours listed)

Are there a total of 4 oil control valves for this engine? The dealer had told me the left side bank needed the replacement valve but the parts list above has 2 valves listed with different part numbers.
Old 03-21-14, 10:29 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

I know that it is a big job to get to the valves but not sure on exact hours, you could have asked the service about it...
Old 03-21-14, 04:19 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

They had to remove the upper intake plenum (Toyota calls it the "air surge tank") to access the rear bank, and they appear to have removed both camshaft covers because of the charge for the two "gasket, cylinder" parts, and they have replaced two solenoid valves. I don't get the PCV valve replacement either but I suspect that this "repair" may be a Service Manual (or some other Toyota document) "standard repair" used when there are indications that the P0015 code may be a result of infrequent oil changes causing one or more solenoid valves to stick (in other words......a "dirty" engine). Other than removing the camshaft covers to "have a look", removing the camshaft covers was not necessary to physically replace one or all of the solenoid valves, as far as I can figure out. If this repair was called up by a Service Department front desk "Service Advisor" without any post diagnostic consultation with the lead tech, or shop foreman, then I'd be asking questions.

Quick Reply: Code P0015 for VVTi oil control valve needs a $1200 repair???