ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

FLYAUDIO Help Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 05:56 AM
MilasMom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation FLYAUDIO Help Please!!!

I drive an 08 ES 350. I just got my flyaudio last year. It was installed by a professional and was working fine - sort of. after 3 months, I got a blank screen one day after starting my car. Then it showed a (+) sign and prompted to calibrate screen. Confused, I pressed the on-screen (+) symbols that showed up on the top left and bottom right. Then all was fine as the system booted up. A few months after that, it did it again. I did the same thing and it was okay again. Then recently, It did it AGAIN! This time, the (+) cursors did NOT appear, and I couldn't calibrate the screen. To my surprise, the system booted up anyway. HOWEVER, because it didn't calibrate, the screen didn't function as a "touch-screen." Since I still had manual radio tuning controls as well as manual AC/heater accessibility, I assumed it would shift itself into place. I ignored it until I needed to use the navigation. I pressed the "NAVI" button- that also booted up, but It was useless not being able to use the touch screen features. UGH! I work a hell of a hectic schedule and decided Id take it in to a shop when I had the time.

SO, 3 weeks ago, I couldn't start my car. The battery was dead and I had to get it jumped. After it got jumped, I took it to Lexus, furious because the battery was less than a year old. They couldn't figure it out, so they replaced it for free. GUESS WHAT.... Last week, my car wouldn't start again!!! I was FURIOUS with Lexus because it took time out of my working schedule to bring it back. My car is still under warranty, so I was upset that something else could be wrong. Well, they ran a full diagnostic check. A headache and a couple of espressos later, my service person approached me. He said, "Your after-market stereo system is draining my battery drastically. It is pulling 427 milliamps, over 20 times the normal range." I felt like an idiot for being angry with them because the flyaudio system not functioning properly is certainly NOT warranted.

I can't fork over another grand or so for another system and I gave away my original unit. I had to disconnect the system in fear of my car not starting after work. In the meantime, I drive while I am FREEZING in this crazy winter weather because unfortunately, the flyaudio system controls the AC and Heater.

I have NEVER been in an accident, nor have I added other electronic devices to my car other than the fly audio unit - with navi, 6 cd, DVD, and back camera.

I am a simple woman - a teacher at that, and have no experience in toying with electronics, mechanics, or programming. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know where I could go to get it repaired or looked at. Can someone please help me? If you tell me what to do, I'm pretty good at following directions.

Thanks so much. :-(

Last edited by MilasMom; 03-10-14 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-04-15, 08:43 AM
mrfresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a late reply but I would probably suggest having a local car audio shop do the BIG THREE electrical upgrade.

They should change you that much it is just 3 wires as I understand it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...upgrade-2.html

Also consider getting an aftermarket HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR and / or upgrade to a better battery up front.

I do believe that the stock OEM battery that the dealer give us is pretty cheap.

06-12 LEXUS IS250 320A HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR
http://www.mechman.com/alternators/l...ut-alternator/
Old 01-04-15, 01:04 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MilasMom
I drive an 08 ES 350. I just got my flyaudio last year. It was installed by a professional and was working fine - sort of. after 3 months, I got a blank screen one day after starting my car. Then it showed a (+) sign and prompted to calibrate screen. Confused, I pressed the on-screen (+) symbols that showed up on the top left and bottom right. Then all was fine as the system booted up. A few months after that, it did it again. I did the same thing and it was okay again. Then recently, It did it AGAIN! This time, the (+) cursors did NOT appear, and I couldn't calibrate the screen. To my surprise, the system booted up anyway. HOWEVER, because it didn't calibrate, the screen didn't function as a "touch-screen." Since I still had manual radio tuning controls as well as manual AC/heater accessibility, I assumed it would shift itself into place. I ignored it until I needed to use the navigation. I pressed the "NAVI" button- that also booted up, but It was useless not being able to use the touch screen features. UGH! I work a hell of a hectic schedule and decided Id take it in to a shop when I had the time.

SO, 3 weeks ago, I couldn't start my car. The battery was dead and I had to get it jumped. After it got jumped, I took it to Lexus, furious because the battery was less than a year old. They couldn't figure it out, so they replaced it for free. GUESS WHAT.... Last week, my car wouldn't start again!!! I was FURIOUS with Lexus because it took time out of my working schedule to bring it back. My car is still under warranty, so I was upset that something else could be wrong. Well, they ran a full diagnostic check. A headache and a couple of espressos later, my service person approached me. He said, "Your after-market stereo system is draining my battery drastically. It is pulling 427 milliamps, over 20 times the normal range." I felt like an idiot for being angry with them because the flyaudio system not functioning properly is certainly NOT warranted.

I can't fork over another grand or so for another system and I gave away my original unit. I had to disconnect the system in fear of my car not starting after work. In the meantime, I drive while I am FREEZING in this crazy winter weather because unfortunately, the flyaudio system controls the AC and Heater.

I have NEVER been in an accident, nor have I added other electronic devices to my car other than the fly audio unit - with navi, 6 cd, DVD, and back camera.

I am a simple woman - a teacher at that, and have no experience in toying with electronics, mechanics, or programming. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know where I could go to get it repaired or looked at. Can someone please help me? If you tell me what to do, I'm pretty good at following directions.

Thanks so much. :-(
Is the professional who installed it still around. I would go back there first to see if he can fix it.
Old 01-04-15, 10:58 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfresh
I know this is a late reply but I would probably suggest having a local car audio shop do the BIG THREE electrical upgrade.

They should change you that much it is just 3 wires as I understand it.

Also consider getting an aftermarket HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR and / or upgrade to a better battery up front.

I do believe that the stock OEM battery that the dealer give us is pretty cheap.

06-12 LEXUS IS250 320A HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR
http://www.mechman.com/alternators/l...ut-alternator/
^Seriously? You cannot fix a parasitic draw problem with either an alternator upgrade or big 3 upgrade. The above mentioned alternator doesn't even work with our engine.
There would be absolutely no reason to do any of those upgrades unless you were running a massive sound system.

Also, this thread is from 10 months ago and OP has not logged back into CL since the day after they posted this. /thread