ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Weird humming buzzing noise front of car when shut off

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 04:07 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Weird humming buzzing noise front of car when shut off

So a few days ago I started to notice at night when I pulled in the garage and shut the door turned the car of and got out that there is a weird buzzing notice comming from front near the grill and headlamps area
At first I thought maybe the fan but no it's more of an electrical static buzzing
I know tomorrow the dealer will call me and let me know what they think it is but I'm just wondering does anyone els hear something like this ? Or anyone have any ideas of what it could possibly be
Old 02-12-14, 04:44 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2007 has a similar sound. If I sit in the car and turn off the vehicle, I hear the power steering wheel move totally forward. Then, when I open the door, I hear a short buzz sound. I haven't really sat there and timed it to see if it will happen minutes later or if it's part of turning the car off. But it definitely happens AS or PRIOR to me getting out of the car. So it might be different than yours. I don't have time to hear mine when I walk to the front of the car. Mine happens at about the same time I open the door or within a few seconds of turning off the car.

What I THINK it is; not that I'm a genius or anything; is that it might be the headlights. I think they are resetting to center because they move when you drive. At least mine do because I have AFS. Anyway, that's what I "THINK" the noise in mine is.
Old 02-12-14, 06:12 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

For the OP.......how long does the "buzzing" sound last?
Old 02-12-14, 06:14 PM
driven905
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it could be the ballasts if you have hids? Is the noise only when the headlights are on or off?
Old 02-12-14, 06:51 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by christcorp
My 2007 has a similar sound. If I sit in the car and turn off the vehicle, I hear the power steering wheel move totally forward. Then, when I open the door, I hear a short buzz sound. I haven't really sat there and timed it to see if it will happen minutes later or if it's part of turning the car off. But it definitely happens AS or PRIOR to me getting out of the car. So it might be different than yours. I don't have time to hear mine when I walk to the front of the car. Mine happens at about the same time I open the door or within a few seconds of turning off the car.

What I THINK it is; not that I'm a genius or anything; is that it might be the headlights. I think they are resetting to center because they move when you drive. At least mine do because I have AFS. Anyway, that's what I "THINK" the noise in mine is.

i have the AFS lighting also and it last a whyll i mean the noise
Old 02-12-14, 06:56 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by oldgrump
For the OP.......how long does the "buzzing" sound last?
id say from the time i shut the car off to the time i get into the house i still hear the buzzing
its parked in the garage at night so it make it even more annoying because the sound bounces off the walls int he closed garage
but id say im in the car a good 60 seconds to 2 minutes after i shut the car off then i can walk up to the front of the car and listen to the buzzing trying to hear where its coming from stand up there for a good minute then walk to the door and walk int he house so im out there for a good 3 to 5 minutes and it hasn't stopped by the time i shut the door into the house

i have a not a lexus warranty but a service contract threw my finance company platinum it is supposed to be the best one they offer
so im hoping that what ever it is they will cover it and i just pay the 100 dollar deductible
i did notice once about 2 weeks ago the driver side headlamp did not come on and i turned the headlamps off and back on and they then came on the last time that happened to the other side it was the ballast that needed replacing
and the insurance company covered it because it was damaged from part of the accident
Old 02-13-14, 04:52 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It is likely the evap purge valve. Normal operation for it when the engine is turned off...
Old 02-13-14, 12:17 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

havn't heard from the dealer yet so still waiting to
they aren't charging me to look at it and see whats going on i straight up told them when i went in that i don't remember ever hearing this noise before and id just like them to look at it and let me know if its normal or if its not normal then see what needs to be done
Old 02-13-14, 06:52 PM
JerryM
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I leave my headlights on auto. When I get home, after dark, I have the same noise and for me it's definitely the HID ballasts. If I turn the lights off the noise stops. Nothing to worry about.
Old 02-14-14, 05:16 AM
Tpcorr
Rookie

I leave my lights (HID) on auto also, pull into my garage at night, and never hear any type of buzzing sound. If you hit the lock button on your key fob twice, to shut off your lights, does the sound cease? If it does, does that mean the buzzing sound occurs whenever the lights are on and you don't notice it when you're in your car and driving it? If so I would have that checked out.

Tom
Old 02-14-14, 06:15 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryM
I leave my headlights on auto. When I get home, after dark, I have the same noise and for me it's definitely the HID ballasts. If I turn the lights off the noise stops. Nothing to worry about.
Yeah that's what it is the headlamps they said howevere the tech is now trying to find out if it's normal or not because a few other cars there do it and a few don't
Old 02-14-14, 11:16 AM
JerryM
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if they determine it's NOT normal, please let me know.
Old 03-02-14, 08:51 AM
ShogunSTL
Driver School Candidate

Mine does this as well, I'm a relatively new owner, but in looking trough the owners manual yesterday I think they mention some buzzing sound when you turn off the car and that it is normal.
Old 03-02-14, 11:13 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
id say from the time i shut the car off to the time i get into the house i still hear the buzzing
its parked in the garage at night so it make it even more annoying because the sound bounces off the walls int he closed garage
but id say im in the car a good 60 seconds to 2 minutes after i shut the car off then i can walk up to the front of the car and listen to the buzzing trying to hear where its coming from stand up there for a good minute then walk to the door and walk int he house so im out there for a good 3 to 5 minutes and it hasn't stopped by the time i shut the door into the house

i have a not a lexus warranty but a service contract threw my finance company platinum it is supposed to be the best one they offer
so im hoping that what ever it is they will cover it and i just pay the 100 dollar deductible
i did notice once about 2 weeks ago the driver side headlamp did not come on and i turned the headlamps off and back on and they then came on the last time that happened to the other side it was the ballast that needed replacing
and the insurance company covered it because it was damaged from part of the accident
What year ES350...what mileage? Little feedback please.
Old 03-02-14, 03:04 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexi66
What year ES350...what mileage? Little feedback please.

its a 2007 currently with 72k

i picked it up and it wasn't makeing the noise but then started again and then we found out it was the headlamps when it was turned on it would make that noise they said to bring it back i still havn't got back there
going in this week will have it taken care of when i get oil changed and detailed this week

Quick Reply: Weird humming buzzing noise front of car when shut off