Drive Transmission not enaging 07 ES350 in cold car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 07:22 AM
Hopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive Transmission not enaging 07 ES350 in cold car

Hi All,
Please advise. I recently bought 2007 ES 350 drove @700+ miles, 2 times I had this incident in this week, the latest is today. In cold morning when I try to drive the vehicle when it is cold when I pull the lever to drive mode the accelerator increases the RPM but the car is not rolling or I should say very very snail pace, so I tried pushing the lever back to park, then reverse drive the vehicle and then enage to drive mode it works fine but I hear lot of fan sound. For inital few min I feel that it is not picking up much speed but then it becomes normal. It really tensed me. Can any one advise if this incident sounds familiar and what action was taken to resolve this?

As per the Autocheck report this was manufactured in Jun 2006 and the vehicle service records from Lexus web there is no sign of any tranmission problem or fix to transmission. The car has 100K+ miles on it.
Old 02-13-14, 05:19 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It could be that your AT oil level is low and in cold conditions it does not generate enough pressure. If this was a purchase at a dealer I would take it back there, otherwise, just take it to Lexus service and ask them to confirm the AT oil level and top it up if necessary...

Btw, there was another thread here with the same symptoms a few days ago, see what he found with his...
Old 02-15-14, 02:16 PM
Hopper
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Igzy, I did checked with dealer today, they did diagonsis it as per their computers there was no issue everything checked out well
He mentioned that when the wheels are on ice, VSC kicks off and it restricts the drive, I didn't buy it but may be he is telling the truth...I will wait and check if this issue reappears. Btw, both the occurences happened onthe icy snow from last week(but I did not tell this to him before)
Old 02-15-14, 06:19 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If either the VSC system and/or the Traction Control system was actually operating and limiting engine power then the "slip indicator" light on the left side of the instrument cluster would be flashing. When you were having your problem did you notice this light flashing? If your problem occurs again try disabling both systems by stopping the car (leave the engine running) and pressing the VSC/TC button for three seconds (and releasing it). This is all explained in your Owner's Manual under "Traction control".
Old 02-16-14, 05:28 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar issue a month ago in my 2008 ES. I started the car and pulled out of my parking spot, making my way about 200 yards to the stop light at the intersection of my office complex. Once there, I was idling in drive for about 3 minutes before the light turned. Attempting to take off, the engine revved up to 3000 rpm or higher and was creeping forward. No matter what I did, the car's speed wouldn't get much above 20mph. No VSC/slip lights, nothing.

After feathering the gas for a bit searching for a place to pull over, the transmission felt as if it fully engaged - almost like the torque converter was "frozen up" and didn't have enough flow to move power back to the tranny. No issues at all since, even in some of the same chilly weather.

The whole issue lasted around 30-45 seconds, but felt much longer since I was really worried that the car was broken - especially since the issue didn't happen right out of the parking spot.

Last edited by mlacomb; 02-16-14 at 05:28 AM. Reason: added model year
Old 02-16-14, 12:13 PM
Hopper
Driver School Candidate

Exactly same Malcolmb, my experience was in the my parking lot itself no lights onthe dashboard but car was not moving it was creeping @5 - 10 miles with RPM 3000 +, I first reveresed my car no issues there but when I put it on drive the problem appeared. As I was still inthe parking lot I parked the car, reversed little bit and then put it back on drive it rolled out good. I am hoping I should never see this again, it really freaked me out
Old 02-16-14, 12:19 PM
Hopper
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldgrump
If either the VSC system and/or the Traction Control system was actually operating and limiting engine power then the "slip indicator" light on the left side of the instrument cluster would be flashing. When you were having your problem did you notice this light flashing?
No lights were on the dashboard, it just freaked me out...
Old 02-16-14, 07:07 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper
Exactly same Malcolmb, my experience was in the my parking lot itself no lights onthe dashboard but car was not moving it was creeping @5 - 10 miles with RPM 3000 +, I first reveresed my car no issues there but when I put it on drive the problem appeared. As I was still inthe parking lot I parked the car, reversed little bit and then put it back on drive it rolled out good. I am hoping I should never see this again, it really freaked me out
What year ES?
Old 02-16-14, 07:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
What year ES?
1st post says 2007.
Old 02-16-14, 08:10 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Default Experienced the exact same scenario

Originally Posted by mlacomb
I had a similar issue a month ago in my 2008 ES. I started the car and pulled out of my parking spot, making my way about 200 yards to the stop light at the intersection of my office complex. Once there, I was idling in drive for about 3 minutes before the light turned. Attempting to take off, the engine revved up to 3000 rpm or higher and was creeping forward. No matter what I did, the car's speed wouldn't get much above 20mph. No VSC/slip lights, nothing.

After feathering the gas for a bit searching for a place to pull over, the transmission felt as if it fully engaged - almost like the torque converter was "frozen up" and didn't have enough flow to move power back to the tranny. No issues at all since, even in some of the same chilly weather.

The whole issue lasted around 30-45 seconds, but felt much longer since I was really worried that the car was broken - especially since the issue didn't happen right out of the parking spot.
I experienced the exact same scenario a little over two weeks ago with my 08. Never happened before even under similar weather conditions.
Old 02-18-14, 01:13 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Once in a recent snow storm, I had to briefly stop on a hill in traffic. When time came to go, I stepped on the gas and nothing happened either, no movement, no lights on, simply nothing. It was a pain to get it to go, involved some sliding down and sideways. Now I have the procedure how-to disable VSC ready on my phone for situation like that...
Old 02-08-15, 01:01 PM
chbow
Driver

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I just had this exact issue - it felt like the transmission had died. I had been feathering it as well due to the cold and then when the light changed and I gave it some gas the engine revved but the car just crept. Really freaked me out. Anyone ever find out what causes this and if it's a warning sign? It could be if I would've given more gas it would've started to move but I was nervous about revving when it felt like the transmission was not engaged?
Old 02-08-15, 06:31 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Default knock on wood

Knock on wood, I have not had my 08 ES350 do this to me this year. However, I am pretty diligent now in parking close enough to my office door that if it's really cold (10 or below) I have it remote started for at least 5 minutes before I get in. Makes it oh so much more comfortable!

The situation I had last year was from a dead cold start, probably below 0 degrees F in my "normal" work parking spot, which is too far away to remote start. I've just started parking closer in the cold weather - and praying my colleagues don't ding the **** out of my doors.
Old 02-08-15, 07:09 PM
chbow
Driver

Originally Posted by mlacomb
Knock on wood, I have not had my 08 ES350 do this to me this year. However, I am pretty diligent now in parking close enough to my office door that if it's really cold (10 or below) I have it remote started for at least 5 minutes before I get in. Makes it oh so much more comfortable!

The situation I had last year was from a dead cold start, probably below 0 degrees F in my "normal" work parking spot, which is too far away to remote start. I've just started parking closer in the cold weather - and praying my colleagues don't ding the **** out of my doors.
What worries me partly is that I don't think I experienced this last year which seemed to have been colder temps where I am. I had noticed a long time ago that my car seems to really need to warm up before "behaving" perfectly, much longer than a 2007 avalon which surprised me considering the similarities in them. If this is not an indication of a serious problem then I guess I'll live with it - maybe I'd join the remote start gang.
Old 02-09-15, 04:50 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

I've driven enough cars thru miles to know that they all develop personalities that aren't really an indication of failure - at least, not so much as any dealer would say something is "failed". I drive them until there's a consistency in the issue before I make a fuss about it, which is why I forgot all about this issue - only happened once. I'm not in the mood for it to happen again, but I'm definitely glad that it hasn't - to me anyways.

Honestly though, it might just be a slightly low fluid condition combined with the cold... that's all I can think. Transmission shifts normally other than this one time.

Quick Reply: Drive Transmission not enaging 07 ES350 in cold car