ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Prepping the ES for service...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 09:20 AM
RainaES350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Prepping the ES for service...

Hey guys...if you've been following along, we just inherited this '08 ES350 with just under 18k on it from my father-in-law who recently passed away.
He lived in SF...which is only 7 square miles...so he couldn't really rack up many miles but getting in and out of a tiny SF garage designed more for Volkswagon's of the day than modern cars, it got about as scraped up as any 86-year old could do...

So the very first order of business was getting the body straightened out and ready for paint, just about everything is getting massaged except the front hood, fenders, and roof.
We got 2 estimates and decided to go with my next-door neighbor who happens to run a collision center here in town, he is Audi & BMW certified and does a lot of Lexus's, he was also the low bidder...here's how it looked as of this morning, body work down and getting prepped for paint:

Should be done sometime early next week then the wheels come off...literally,lol...as I'm having those polished smooth to remove all the curb rash then they get powdercoated in a color called titanium-nickel which is darker and richer-looking than the stock bright sliver which IMHO, clashes with the dark color.

Then the tint man gets involved and finally a complete detail inside and under the hood and finally...my wife takes the keys.

Stay tuned as I'll update this thread as we see progress...
Old 02-11-14, 03:57 PM
Rogarven
Rookie

You are fortunate. I thought I was pretty lucky to inherit a 05 deVille with 35K and a 00 S-10 with 20K. I sold the truck but kept the Caddy as I knew I couldn't get anything for it. Will keep it as long as it doesn't start nickel and diming me. Then, buy another Lexus.
Old 02-11-14, 06:14 PM
RainaES350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rogarven
You are fortunate. I thought I was pretty lucky to inherit a 05 deVille with 35K and a 00 S-10 with 20K. I sold the truck but kept the Caddy as I knew I couldn't get anything for it. Will keep it as long as it doesn't start nickel and diming me. Then, buy another Lexus.
That Caddy if maintained properly should see 200K + easily...

I was in the car biz at the time he bought this car, I helped broker the deal...it replaced a very nice SC300.
Old 02-12-14, 07:17 PM
Rogarven
Rookie

Originally Posted by RainaES350
That Caddy if maintained properly should see 200K + easily...

I was in the car biz at the time he bought this car, I helped broker the deal...it replaced a very nice SC300.
Yeah, the Northstar V8 is what bothers me the most. However, I have heard that by 05, they were a little better. I watch it very carefully and drive it like an old man. LOL Of course , I guess I am an old man. LOL
Old 02-13-14, 09:21 AM
RainaES350
Rookie

Thumbs up Thursday update...

Car is all sanded and ready to be masked for paint, it should be in new color Friday then dry over the wknd and then re-assembled early next week...all but the hood, roof and top of the trunk will see new paint:

He's using PPG paint & clear so the match should be perfect...I'm really happy with the quality of work so far.
Old 02-13-14, 10:08 AM
Rogarven
Rookie

you are going to have a great car. We love our 09 with 17K.
Old 02-17-14, 10:04 AM
RainaES350
Rookie

Thumbs up Monday update...

Car was painted Friday and dried over the wknd, every panel except the hood & roof were re-finished. Car looked excellent in the booth this morning, they did an excellent job using PPG paint & clear:

Rear bumper cap and lower side trim:

Next step is to cut & buff then re-assemble, I should have it back probably sometime tomorrow...then the wheels come off!
Old 02-17-14, 10:49 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Your dash has a "Sat" button that could have had a dealer fitted $600 XM module. As the original owner was unlikely to have had that done you now can have a hard wire Apple connector jacked in to that port. The resulting cable will coil in the glove box, charge the device, respond to steering wheel controls and display songs on the standard radio face! The accessory cable is available through parts for about $300.
Old 02-17-14, 12:30 PM
RainaES350
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
Your dash has a "Sat" button that could have had a dealer fitted $600 XM module. As the original owner was unlikely to have had that done you now can have a hard wire Apple connector jacked in to that port. The resulting cable will coil in the glove box, charge the device, respond to steering wheel controls and display songs on the standard radio face! The accessory cable is available through parts for about $300.
Thanks for that information mcomer...
Old 02-18-14, 01:19 PM
RainaES350
Rookie

Checked this morning, car was re-assembled and being wet-sanded so no real photo op available, LOL!
Dang passenger-side mirror is on eternal back-order so the old ones have to go back on until it shows up then both get painted and installed.

I should have the car before the end of the day...
Old 02-18-14, 07:56 PM
RainaES350
Rookie

Car was personally delivered to my home around 6pm after a full day of buffing and polishing and I must say...it looked stunning to my very discerning eye and the color match is also spot-on as I was figuring on.

I will take some pics tomorrow as I pull the wheels off...
Old 02-20-14, 09:28 AM
RainaES350
Rookie

Got the car delivered to me late Tuesday night (how's that for service?) and the paint looks awesome, great color match and the metallic laid down beautifully:

Broke down the wheels and had them at the powdercoaters by 9:45 am yesterday, I'm hoping to have them back real soon, hopefully by tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.
Made my tint appointment for Tuesday, decided on 35% all-around.
Spent most of the day detailing the undercarriage and will continue on that theme today...
Old 02-20-14, 09:40 AM
driven905
Driver School Candidate

Wow car looks awesome!
Old 02-20-14, 02:34 PM
RainaES350
Rookie

Default Anticipation...

Been cleaning underneath awaiting the return of the wheels, I must say every component has some kind of finish on it rather than just raw steel like most domestics, very impressive:

Old 02-22-14, 10:45 PM
NoKz
Driver School Candidate

Looks great man! Diggin' the color for sure.

Quick Reply: Prepping the ES for service...