fuel level and range ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 01:17 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default fuel level and range ?

Ok so i was wondering to all the others with the 07-2012 ES350
not whats the average MPG you get but wondering whats the most you got on your rage before having to stop and fill up and
do you let your tank get below 1/4
or do you fill up before it gets to 1/4

me ill let my tank get below 1/4 if im on highway but in city ill always stop off and fill up between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank
most i ever got on my mile range was like 390 before i stopped to fill up
not talking about your mile redout im talking about
how many miles have you actually goten before you stop to fill up have you ever successfully gone more then 400 miles ?
Old 01-24-14, 01:34 PM
AvsFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually fill up with an 1/8 of a tank left. I have gone all the way down to where the needle points to empty and it took about 15.5 gallons to fill the tank, so I figured there was about 2.5 gallons left in the tank. I get 29-30 MPG on the highway so in theory the range for 15.5 gallons is around 450 to 460 miles, although I have never officially tracked it.
Old 01-24-14, 03:42 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never let my car get below 1/4 of a tank. Many reasons. 1) I live in the rural west. When you leave a town; ANY TOWN; it's at least 40-50 miles before the next town or gas station. Sometimes 75 miles. 2) Main reason is because sediments settle to the bottom of your gas tank. Especially over the years. While there is a fuel pump and filter inside your tank, there's less chance of sucking anything into this filter or pump if you've got a good supply of gasoline sloshing around in your tank. Now most cars, if we're talking up to 5-6 years old, that isn't really a problem. But out of habit, I simply won't let a car get that low on gas.

Being I do a lot of long distance trips, my butt couldn't handle going 7-8 hours without a break anyway. So there's absolutely no reason in the world; shy of Armageddon and there's no gasoline available, to ever let your car run almost empty.
Old 01-24-14, 07:28 PM
Rogarven
Rookie

Originally Posted by christcorp
I never let my car get below 1/4 of a tank. Many reasons. 1) I live in the rural west. When you leave a town; ANY TOWN; it's at least 40-50 miles before the next town or gas station. Sometimes 75 miles. 2) Main reason is because sediments settle to the bottom of your gas tank. Especially over the years. While there is a fuel pump and filter inside your tank, there's less chance of sucking anything into this filter or pump if you've got a good supply of gasoline sloshing around in your tank. Now most cars, if we're talking up to 5-6 years old, that isn't really a problem. But out of habit, I simply won't let a car get that low on gas.

Being I do a lot of long distance trips, my butt couldn't handle going 7-8 hours without a break anyway. So there's absolutely no reason in the world; shy of Armageddon and there's no gasoline available, to ever let your car run almost empty.
I totally agree. Living out here in the West, you don't want to run the tank down. Also, I will try to buy gas and use the restroom in a bigger city as the prices for fuel are lower than in a remote location. A person needs to get out and stretch anyway.
Old 01-27-14, 09:20 PM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have recorded 400 miles on a freeway trip. Almost running empty by then.
Old 01-28-14, 06:27 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexusfan05
I have recorded 400 miles on a freeway trip. Almost running empty by then.
If that 400 miles is truly on a freeway trip, then that's some pretty sad mileage. If you really almost ran empty, then you got about 22 mpg on the highway. That's not good. When I hit the open road, I usually average between 29-30 mpg. While I would never run my car almost empty, if there was some Armageddon scenario where I filled up the car, had to leave, and couldn't stop for gas along the way, that would still get me over 500 miles on a tank of gas. I can get almost your 400 miles in city driving.
Old 01-28-14, 10:51 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I am planing a trip up home to ohio in the end of spring 1390 miles each way so I guess that's when I will truly notice

What do you guys thing about fuel injection cleaning not just the bottle dumped into the tank but having it done professionally
Also is there a fuel filter that ever needs changing ? Not sure if it's even something I should worry about with 70k
Old 01-28-14, 05:22 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

In the summer I let it go down to the gas light on the dash . The trip gauge says about 10-15 miles left. Usually the trip gauge has me at around 29-30 mpg on highway trips. 400 miles is not a problem on a tank. This is usually running at 75mph on interstates. In the city I usually get 24-26 mpg. In the winter I let the tank only go down to 1/4 and then fill it. I also fill to the top of the tank up the filler neck when I take long trips.
Old 02-09-14, 07:52 AM
Spitznagle
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by christcorp

We drove to Idaho for the first time last summer. We should have stopped at Little America in WY for gas, but my range had 100 mi left and that place was crawling with minivans. So we opted to keep going. We got on US-30 heading into ID, and it was pretty barren. We made it to the Chevron station about 50 mi from there with no problem, but I was extremely nervous! I think we had driven 460 mi on that tank with room to spare. However, I won't let it run that close again if I don't know the area.

We spent 44 hours round trip in that car. I love her!
Old 02-09-14, 08:15 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Spitznagle
We drove to Idaho for the first time last summer. We should have stopped at Little America in WY for gas, but my range had 100 mi left and that place was crawling with minivans. So we opted to keep going. We got on US-30 heading into ID, and it was pretty barren. We made it to the Chevron station about 50 mi from there with no problem, but I was extremely nervous! I think we had driven 460 mi on that tank with room to spare. However, I won't let it run that close again if I don't know the area.

We spent 44 hours round trip in that car. I love her!
A lot of visitors to Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and most of the Rocky Mountain states have learned their lesson the hard way when they come to visit. I grew up in New Jersey and even when I go back to visit now, you can literally drive through 7 - 10 towns and not know you left one town and went into another. Out here, you never trust what MIGHT be down the road. Even if you know the area, you never know if something out of the ordinary might happen. I.e. With all the snow we have, you could find yourself being diverted and traveling 100 miles out of the way to get past a closed section of highway. Or maybe that station you know is there, could be closed because the owner couldn't get to work that day. (Yes, we have a lot of mom/pop privately owned shops with gas stations). We see a lot of motorists on the side of the road waiting for AAA or similar to get them gas.

Our system here is very simple. If you are stopping to get something to drink, take a pee, lunch, etc... you FILL UP THE TANK!!! Even if there's still a half tank or more still left. It takes an extra 5 minutes. But that full take will give you 500 miles to work with. 100 miles you can't work with here. When I take my pickup or explorer hunting, I keep a 30 gallon barrel in the back full of gas.