ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

de-badged anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 04:13 AM
MikePA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's already been explained in this thread what the ghost image is and what can be done to deal with it. I've done this on other cars and it didn't 'fade' after 2 years. To state the obvious, people debadge to make their car look better, not obviously look like what they did, i.e., remove badges. They need to know there can be other issues than simply whether the badge snaps into holes in the body.

EDIT: To state the obvious, but worth knowing regardless, the paint that has faded is under the clear coat. You don't 'buff' that out.

Last edited by MikePA; 01-05-14 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-05-14, 08:37 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nevernu
Hey Lexus is a luxury car hence piano wire, that fishing line stuff is for Fords and dental floss for caddys
LOL awesome
Old 01-05-14, 08:40 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If you're de-badging an LS I recommend using harp wire.
naw man just make sure the guitar wire is off a classic Gibson and your good
now harp if it was a LS600H then yes but for a bassic LS then Gibson guitar or somehting from a babygrand if piano lol
Old 01-05-14, 04:19 PM
Lefoyxxx
Driver School Candidate

I am having a hard time wrapping myself around the idea that doing all this will make the car look better.
Old 01-05-14, 06:04 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikePA
...and you'll go through all this work to remove the badge and the adhesive only to find out there's a ghost image and decide to put the badges back on, assuming you have not damaged them when you took them off.
oh man... do you have to scare me like this?!?! lol...
Old 01-05-14, 06:07 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by xanderES
Yes. I thought you were planning to paint the emblems also, but that was ThumperPup. Its a lot harder than you would think cutting the tape to size with the adhesive behind the emblem looking oem. Im a bit of a perfectionist though and doubt things like that would bother other people.
If you decide to remove the emblems use either WD40 or Goo-Gone. I found wd40 to work best, but it is still a p.i.t.a.. EIther way you'll have to heat up the adhesive and sort of roll as much as you can off as both wont work well on the full thickness of the adhesive.
Thank you for the tips. I recently added a factory spoiler and made my roof glossy black. I'm just thinking about removing the badges to give my car a clean look.
Old 01-05-14, 06:14 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lefoyxxx
I am having a hard time wrapping myself around the idea that doing all this will make the car look better.
haha... everyone has different taste I guess. To me I think it would look cleaner. Also, I just put on a chrome license frame on recently to replace my old ugly frame. I like how the new frame looks but it makes the rear of my car a bit too much chrome.
Old 01-05-14, 06:17 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by xanderES
This "ghost image" everyone keeps throwing around is nothing more than just paint fade due to to weathering. A good buff can minimize/remove, waxing the car will hide it, or by leaving it alone it will fade over time. Not much to be worried about imo.
i did a bit google search and that's what I found too. Some people got rid of it after some time/work but it seems like some people were never be able to completely get rid of it even after a long time and that makes me worried.
Old 01-05-14, 08:58 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefoyxxx
Totally agree. I understand that different people have different tastes; I just don't see how removing the Lexus and/or ES350 (Whatever model), emblems make the car look better.

I've seen individuals who bought used cars and didn't like the chrome, paint, color, etc... and they totally re-did the exterior. Including having all the chrome professionally colored/painted. Some times the results were pretty amazing. Saw a Caddy CTS where EVERYTHING was the same color; include the CTS badge and all trim. The only thing not, was the Main Caddy center badge. But taking off the make and model emblems just never occurred to me as making it look better. But, to each their own.
Old 01-10-14, 05:11 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

I just used floss and a heat gun. I also used glu-gone to rub out the excess factory glue away.
Here's the debadge with chrome

Here's the debadge after I painted the chrome
Old 01-12-14, 11:05 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
I just used floss and a heat gun. I also used glu-gone to rub out the excess factory glue away.
Here's the debadge with chrome

Here's the debadge after I painted the chrome
man... that looks clean! thx for sharing! too bad my girl doesn't like it like some members on the forum... I guess I'll leave em there for now...
Old 01-14-14, 03:55 PM
jagiovana
Driver School Candidate

I de-badged my tungsten pearl 2007 ES about 2 months ago. Used the wife's hairdryer to soften the adhesive, scraped with a credit card, then cleaned up with an adhesive/gunk remover - no shadowing. I removed both, the ES350 badge, and the matching car dealer badge. I took it another step and got a plain, stainless steel tag frame. I greatly prefer the cleaner look. Don't need a label on the car to know it's a Lexus. Glad I did it - should have done it earlier.
Old 01-14-14, 07:00 PM
Rogarven
Rookie

That is interesting about the dealers name. I don't like advertising for them. This would be a good way to get rid of their badge.
Old 01-15-14, 12:03 AM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by jagiovana
I de-badged my tungsten pearl 2007 ES about 2 months ago. Used the wife's hairdryer to soften the adhesive, scraped with a credit card, then cleaned up with an adhesive/gunk remover - no shadowing. I removed both, the ES350 badge, and the matching car dealer badge. I took it another step and got a plain, stainless steel tag frame. I greatly prefer the cleaner look. Don't need a label on the car to know it's a Lexus. Glad I did it - should have done it earlier.
good to hear no shadowing! I put on a plain chrome frame too... that's why I wanna debadge mine so badly!
Old 01-15-14, 12:48 AM
jacobjohn
Driver

oh yea, I didn't have any shadowing after i rubbed some polish over the areas!

Quick Reply: de-badged anyone?