my m37x test drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 07:12 PM
nelsonatio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my m37x test drive

sorry for the novel in advance.

So before I decided to commit to Lexus again I wanted to see what else the others had to offer. I currently own a 2010 Lexus Es Ultra Luxury pkg. I will knock off my least contenders first and make my way to the top.
I will go ahead and just knock off the Mercedes E-class. I cannot believe the reviews this car line gets. The inside of it is small, crampy, out dated, and cheap feeling. The 6 cylinder engine sounds like a 1998 Daewoo starting up on a cold Chicago night. ( I have tested a few) I cannot stand when I read a car and driver magazine and some dip $h!t is saying companies are trying to compete with E-class when a majority of them have already passed Mercedes years ago. The BMW 5 series gave me the same impression.
Audi A6 was nice. But the ones I can afford (2010-2011 models) looked to outdated compared to the 2012-2013 to really enjoy it. It is still no match to the smoothness of a ES or LS. I loved the 2011 Lexus LS.
I decided to go ahead and test drive the Infiniti M37x for a full day. It snowed a tad the night I picked it up so I had a good opportunity to put the AWD system to the test. The second I looked at the car I loved the interior. Unmatched! The white ash wood work, the never ending leather, speakers built into the seats, the list goes on. I fired the car up and it has a nice smooth rumble to it. The navigation and gauge cluster has a very warm and comforting sensation to it while night driving.
I pulled off of the lot and instantly the car went sideways. It took a good 2 seconds for the car to realize we were not straight and kicked power to the front wheels to straighten us out. Throughout the night this happened several times. I pulled away from the gas pump and the rear end fishtailed. Once again it took a few seconds for the car to get it together. As you drive you can feel the difference in the steering wheel when the car decides to go into AWD. (Does not matter the setting – snow, sport, eco, or regular the car never stays in AWD it prefers RWD) this was a big issue for me. From a safety perspective the car gets it $h!t together a little too late for my liking.
The next morning the roads were dry and I was able to rip it open. The car moves! Once I hit 50mph and begin to push the engine to its limits, and begin to change lanes… I feel it in the steering wheel the AWD has decided to come on. The handling was excellent. The sound of the car is excellent. It does not ride as harsh as most reviews I have read complaining about the ride quality.
The problems – the shifting. Every once in a while the car could not make its mind up as to what gear it needed to get in. ( was not very noticeable and as long as you are not beating the **** out of the car this is usually not an issue).
THE SHIFTING AGAIN!- I was making a left at a green light, the car was at a complete stop as I waited for oncoming traffic to clear. Once I had a chance to go I hit the gas AND!......nothing. the car rolls a bit and sits completely still. I have the gas pedal half way down at this point. Here I am stuck in the middle of the intersection now with a car that once again cannot get its $h!t together. Finally the car decided to wake up with its throttle half open. But because I was panicky and pushing farther and farther on the pedal to get it to move it woke up and thought I was trying to race it. The car took off and I looked like a a$$ hole trying to show off in an intersection. This was a 3 second situation but still. (Let’s just say I was in a rush and I needed to make a left at the green light with close oncoming traffic. The power of the car would easily get me through this turn with more than enough time and room to spare but instead of flying through the intersection it just sits still for 2 seconds and BOOM! T-bone accident and it is all my fault). This is a very dangerous issue if you ask me. The car does not communicate with itself at all. It’s like a 16 year old with A.D.D. on caffeine.
Other minor problems – the passenger seat shakes and vibrates hard. It is pretty annoying. Not something I would expect from a $60k car.
There is a nasty grindy, vibration sensation in the gas pedal. It feels like it is coming from the transmission. Very hard to explain but it is in every Infiniti I test drove. This sensation takes away the silky smooth feel a luxury car should offer.
The AWD system sucks.
Road noise at 65mph+ is loud.
When the windshield senses a little rain it kicks the windshield wipers on to full blast. Scared the crap out of me every time.
The excitement and style of the car wear off quick. After 24 hours with this car I was ready to get my lexus back.

Conclusion – there is nothing like a lexus. Good amount of power, unreal smoothness and comfort. ( I am at 75k and it still drives perfect) if you are itching for something new and different just go rent a premium car for the weekend and get it out of your system.
Old 12-19-13, 04:25 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice report. Thanks for the info and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-13, 10:28 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe you posted earlier and asked about iM vs LS. Glad you got a chance to go and drive them and thank you for the review. E-class, A6 and M are certainly direct competitors for our ES and to some degree the LS too...

For your experience with M, I can tell you that my owning a Nissan Maxima for 4 years had its "moments" just like you described.

Firstly, the AWD on M is not a true AWD, but rather electronic-clutch-driven system which when it senses the slippage will engage the transfer case/diff, and I also believe that it will automatically go off once the car speed exceeds certain limit. Some grades of G and M come with RS4 stage control (S-button) which will override the system and keep AWD always on.

Second, the hesitation at the left turn: that was my biggest complaint about Maxima. Under any, I mean any light traction issues (you mentioned cold weather and snow), it will engage the VSC and limit the throttle input = which under some conditions will result in no movement for a few seconds = SCARY! I suspect that the VSC programming stayed the same for M as I had in Maxima. To counter this problem I would turn off VSC and car would then behave as expected but one shouldn't have to do that all the time to get the car to drive properly...

Lastly, the seat shake is likely cause the seat back is so top heavy with speakers, headrests, etc. and that will shake at high speeds :P