ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES350 UL edge of glass roof (moulding?) peeling

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 07:00 PM
chbow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BC93
Sorry to pop on here late. I'm still shopping and considering the UL package. Came back to the forum to research some more. I wondered if there were any things to look out for with the panoramic roof. I was specifically interested in cracking or damage from falling items: acorns, hail and such. I hadn't even considered if/when the gaskets might go bad. I saw a post on another forum where a member was quoted $2700 in 2008 for glass replacement.

Would be very interested to hear back from chbow on how things worked out.
Hi, as far as damage from acorns and hail, I don't think I would be so concerned. The glass seems fine to me. As far as an update - to be honest I first emailed Lexus to see what the would say. I received an email that they were looking into it, and then received a call in which the woman I spoke to could only be described as mean (not rude at all, just almost angry). To be clear I hadn't been overly aggressive or complaining, I had just described the issue and asked what could be done. She first made a point of saying the last time I had been to the dealer I had gotten a $30 oil change (I wish - recently raised a few dollars to ~ $60) I really had no idea what that had to do with anything but she was just getting started. She berated me that the car was out of warranty, and that the dealer had inspected it and said it was not a defect but normal wear and tear.... I did not say much because I was really bewildered by her tone, maybe she thought I was accusing Lexus of something? Anyway the real answer to your question (sorry just had to get that off my chest ) is I haven't done anything yet. I'm still looking for a real glass shop, not someone mobile that just repairs windshields to look at it. Meanwhile it has not leaked but I'm probably pushing my luck...
My two cents: the panoramic roof is nice to look at and nothing else, but if YOU like to look at it and you don't see others with this issue or any peeling or separating on the car you're looking at - go for it! Good luck
Old 01-13-14, 11:56 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for checking back in chbow! I like the looks of the roof, but I'm more interested in the Levinson stereo, to be honest.
Old 09-03-14, 03:57 PM
99PanozAIV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BC93
Sorry to pop on here late. I'm still shopping and considering the UL package. Came back to the forum to research some more. I wondered if there were any things to look out for with the panoramic roof. I was specifically interested in cracking or damage from falling items: acorns, hail and such. I hadn't even considered if/when the gaskets might go bad. I saw a post on another forum where a member was quoted $2700 in 2008 for glass replacement.

Would be very interested to hear back from chbow on how things worked out.
I had started another thread about this issue, missing this thread. A quality body shop near here said about $4,000 for the glass panels and the work to replace them. There is no replacement trim for those panels. A auto glass guy who looked at it said he would just let it be or trim it all off with a razor blade or similar. Three different dealers didn't even want to look at the car and our extended warranty didn't cover it either. IMO, it's a material defect.
Old 11-16-17, 11:55 AM
RosieBoy
Driver School Candidate

Default Just gets worse

I brought this to Lexus attention via an email and had a response from the guy handling the case that the car was no longer under warranty and that they would give me a bit of help on the repair but it is still super expensive to fix and I think they should own up to it. 8 years is not an old car and this is a Toyota/Lexus and it should last.

Shows dry rot in corner but it is all over.
Completely delaminated
This happens when it is cold out.
Old 11-16-17, 11:56 AM
RosieBoy
Driver School Candidate

By the way, if you have a problem like this and could share your email or other contact information I would like to help them understand that it is an issue with more than just my car. There are not a lot of panoramic roofs out there so they don't think it is a problem.
Old 01-06-23, 07:08 AM
Master309
2nd gear

Default '09 ES350 UL with Pano issue

What a mess. Walked out to my car the other morning and saw this. Auto glass place told me $3K to fix. Then said or sell the car. All posts and threads I read have had the same response from repair facilities. Guess we are euchered.

Old 01-07-23, 04:23 AM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Do not think you read all then. I had a recent post on this around 2 months ago. This is not an issue and is purely cosmetic.

If it's stretched, I would cut the appropriate amount off if needed, then just use Permatex sealant to seal it back on. Make sure to take your time if you want it to look nice. If you have a garage, do it in there, try to use cardboard along the edge and then apply the permatex, and then smoothly do it on the top of the seal as well.

My friend did it with an old credit card to make it look nice. Although I still haven't done the whole thing to make it look nice, I have it no longer popping up from using the sealant.
Old 01-07-23, 08:07 AM
Master309
2nd gear

Thank you for your response...I did in fact read that post about the Permatex. The point is Lexus clearly had a design flaw and I do understand that it is cosmetic. But to say it is not an issue is misleading. It is an issue and now everyone who has this issue has to deal with it. The weatherstripping disintegrates in my hand when I touch it. It is expensive to fix correctly.
All good....I will deal with it as Lexus provides an above average driving experience and I still love my car.
Old 01-07-23, 09:21 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

When I wrote not an issue, I meant meaning regarding sealing of the sunroof. A lot of people including me paniced thinking water will start leaking in. I actually had flex tape across my roof the entire winter season last winter thinking so until I did more research online through a couple of forums. The reason Lexus never addressed it is because they revealed it was cosmetic as the actual seal is underneath the glass. It was just way the glass was designed. I believe all later Lexus models got rid of this rubber or whatever it is around the edge due to this issue, but they didn't do a service bulletin as you have to replace every piece of glass on the roof over cosmetics.

Unfortunately we must deal with it but the permatex is not too difficult of a fix. I noticed though when the Fall was transitioning to winter this year, or after heavy rain, the seal around my pano glass' started separating, but when it warmed up or wasn't raining it resealed. Very odd.

Interesting enough the original owner of my ES had the whole pano roof replaced early on it's life, before 2010. I'm not sure why as it doesn't say, but I wondered if it was because of this issue.
Old 04-16-24, 09:33 AM
MalabarMapleLeaf
2nd gear

Originally Posted by TCoolest2
Do not think you read all then. I had a recent post on this around 2 months ago. This is not an issue and is purely cosmetic.

If it's stretched, I would cut the appropriate amount off if needed, then just use Permatex sealant to seal it back on. Make sure to take your time if you want it to look nice. If you have a garage, do it in there, try to use cardboard along the edge and then apply the permatex, and then smoothly do it on the top of the seal as well.

My friend did it with an old credit card to make it look nice. Although I still haven't done the whole thing to make it look nice, I have it no longer popping up from using the sealant.
Hey, do you know what Permatex you used?
Old 04-16-24, 11:14 AM
Rshall99
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TCoolest2

How well has the Permatex held up since you applied it?
Old 04-16-24, 03:47 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Hi all. I believe this is the one I used.
https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...-sealant-3-oz/
I got it in autozone.

It lasted around a year, it actually just fell apart a few weeks ago. I would say it's more of me not doing a good job applying it, as my friend who did a small section was a lot more patient and that area seemed to withheld better. The winter weather here was pretty intense with the amount of moisture that fell with the cold this year. Since it wasn't sealed well and plus the whole thing just seems to be coming off the whole piece of glass at this point from the cold temps, the stripping starting bulging all over, until it was so stressed it broke completely (ripped) I will have to try to seal it again as summer approaches here.