ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 2007 Trunk & Fuel door won't open, no rear camera, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 06:49 PM
goku2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 2007 Trunk & Fuel door won't open, no rear camera, etc.

Earlier today I think I really ******ed myself because my ES350 trunk and fuel door will not open. The problem started out with me addressing the "Check SONAR" issue where all of my rear SONAR sensors weren't working. This issue with the SONAR working intermittently has been an issue now for about 8 months. Anyway so I had read somewhere to check under the front right passenger footwell and I did. With the car in ON mode (engine not running) I tried to disconnect each of the harnesses from the plugs one at a time so that I could isolate the harness that controlled the sonar.

Anyway I plugged everything back in and now the trunk won't release either from the Keyfob, or from the interior. The fuel door also won't release either and I've already tried the Valet button to no effect. I'm wondering if the computer that handles the trunk or whatnot got deactivated from the other computers and is no longer talking to it or something to that effect. I'm hoping I just blew a fuse but otherwise I just don't know how to proceed from here. It sucks this car has no way to open the trunk with a key, I think that was a huge oversight. I also cannot open the trunk by opening the pass through because the internal trunk release cable was broken by my dad several years ago and was never repaired.
Old 06-16-13, 08:16 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

heres a fuel lid opener diagram and the luggage compartment diagram, see if they have a common junction etc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
flo.pdf (64.1 KB, 1041 views)
lcdo.pdf (84.9 KB, 699 views)

Last edited by nevernu; 06-16-13 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-16-13, 08:24 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That probably is not too serious. Since they are both completely non fuctional the problem may be something as simple as a loose connector or a blown fuse. Those two features are always hot and I assume on the same circuit so it would be easy to short the hot side of the connector out while disconnected or even though you thought you plugged it back in you may have later pulled it loose checking something else.

Good luck.

Dave Mac
Old 06-17-13, 02:46 PM
goku2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nevernu
heres a fuel lid opener diagram and the luggage compartment diagram, see if they have a common junction etc
This is very helpful, thank you! What I'm wondering is the "courtesy switch" that soft switch that is on the trunk lid? And that switch E56 and E57 are the switch valet switch in the glove compartment and for the main trunk switch near the steering wheel?

Also why would the entire trunk (meaning everything in the trunk like tail lights, trunk release, fuel door, etc. go "dead" if the fuel door isn't computer controlled at all?

Also Where is EL1 and EL2? The place that I'm looking is the front passenger foot well and my concern is that the colored wires that I'm seeing in person and what I'm seeing in the wiring diagram aren't matching up. Some of the connectors are re-used multiple times throughout the car so that doesn't help either.

Last edited by goku2; 06-17-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 04:47 PM
nevernu
Instructor

well i dont know about the relation but here are the tail, brake, and turn diagrams for you to think on
Attached Files
tail.pdf (117.3 KB, 300 views)
turnhazard.pdf (105.1 KB, 277 views)
stoplight.pdf (106.9 KB, 297 views)
Old 06-17-13, 06:04 PM
goku2
Driver School Candidate

any schematic for removing the back seats and then opening the trunk manually from within? After all, the safety trunk release is missing... I'm just wondering if something happened with the harness inside of the trunk or something... I can't understand how so many systems aren't working in the trunk area when some don't appear to be computer controlled.
Old 06-17-13, 07:20 PM
nevernu
Instructor

i think the key to your problem is

"With the car in ON mode (engine not running) I tried to disconnect each of the harnesses from the plugs one at a time so that I could isolate the harness that controlled the sonar.

Anyway I plugged everything back in and now the trunk won't release ....
"

I would redo that step making sure u didn't reconnect some in error.

btw have u read any dtc codes ? that might narrow down the area.
Old 06-18-13, 12:31 AM
goku2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nevernu
i think the key to your problem is

"With the car in ON mode (engine not running) I tried to disconnect each of the harnesses from the plugs one at a time so that I could isolate the harness that controlled the sonar.

Anyway I plugged everything back in and now the trunk won't release ....
"

I would redo that step making sure u didn't reconnect some in error.

btw have u read any dtc codes ? that might narrow down the area.
I've connected and reconnected the harnessess a few times and the way they're Molded it's kinda hard to imagine any of them not being installed in the right spot. **** even the plugs are different on all of them except two of them. As for CELs, there are none. One thing I did notice is that in this harness cluster in the front right passenger footwell, if one of them is disconnected, the Smart Key system doesn't work so you can't start the car UNLESS you put the key right next to the ignition, otherwise car starts and operates fine.

I have to mention that I DID play with a set of harnesses on the Left (Driver) rear trunk but I re-attached them and everything before shutting the trunk. I remember testing disconnecting and connecting those Left rear harnesses to discover they were necessary for the trunk lights to work but I don't remember checking to see if they were involved with the unlocking of the trunk or not.

So does lexus have any weird computer glitchy crap like volvo does to get the computer systems throughout the car to talk to each other? I know on the Volvo S60, a very similar issue like the one I'm experiencing now could arise if you don't do things just right and to keep the trunk lid open when working on the car...

Last edited by goku2; 06-18-13 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-18-13, 07:17 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Connect everything back up and try resetting the ECU.

Also go through the fusebox and check for any blown fuses. I think you're overcomplicating what should be a pretty simple problem. Both the trunk and fuel door are run by momentary current through an actuator. Either that, or pull the switch panel out of the dash and ensure the connection on the back of it is secure and that the switches are operating as they should.

It seems like you're having an issue with the back 1/3 of the car getting power to certain components. Do all your tail lights work? Blinkers? Reverse lights? License plate lights?
Old 06-18-13, 08:07 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

There should be a manual trunk opening pull at the top just on the inside of the small part that folds down to put you hockey stick Thru eh! Here's some pics. I hoping you referring to your glow in the dark lever as the broken and not this one.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails ES350 2007 Trunk & Fuel door won't open, no rear camera, etc.-image.jpg  

Last edited by SICK350; 06-19-13 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-18-13, 08:08 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

And here's the pull just on the inside at the top.
Attached Thumbnails ES350 2007 Trunk & Fuel door won't open, no rear camera, etc.-image.jpg  
Old 06-18-13, 08:12 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

If this one is the broken one, reach for the glow in the dark trunk release with a long snow brush or a piece of bamboo depending on weather conditions.
Old 06-18-13, 03:32 PM
goku2
Driver School Candidate

The glow in the dark trunk release was broken already and would be very difficult to access. However this trunk release you just showed me was an absolute life safer! I had no idea about this and neither did any of the dealerships!!! I couldn't find any reference to this in the owners manual so I'm curious how you knew about it!?
Old 06-18-13, 03:39 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Originally Posted by goku2
The glow in the dark trunk release was broken already and would be very difficult to access. However this trunk release you just showed me was an absolute life safer! I had no idea about this and neitso I'm curious how you knew about it!?
/he probably put a new LED on his

good work SICK350
Old 06-18-13, 04:11 PM
goku2
Driver School Candidate

I was able to get most of the electrical issues resolved, I can open the trunk, fuel door and tail lights all work now, the cause was a disconnected harness on the left (Driver side) of the trunk behind the upper carpet (quarter panel).

Now the only issue left is why a whole set of my rear sonar are working intermittently. (Shows error CHECK SONAR)

Just want to put out my thanks again for all the help.

Quick Reply: ES350 2007 Trunk & Fuel door won't open, no rear camera, etc.