Need advise on Brake service cost for my ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 11:43 AM
bhaskarsai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise on Brake service cost for my ES 350

Hi,

I was informed to replace my brake pads on my LEXUS ES 350 as there is only 10% of life on it. I figuredout from my research that justbreaks.com is offering the brake replacement service for $100 for all 4 wheels VS. $640 from Lexus dealer. Is it how it costs? I spoke to justbrakes customer service and they informed that they would use aftermarket brakes of my choice (either semi-metallic or ceramics). (LEXUS dealer mentioned their brakes are semi metallic)

http://www.justbrakes.com/ (also offered lifetime guarantee on their brake pads...)

What do you recommend?
Old 04-24-13, 03:14 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

$100 just buys pads. I bet when you are into it, they will advise resurfacing or replacement of rotors and some other surprises once the car is on the lift. They call this "lowballing". Not that Lexus is offering a good deal either. Your at both ends of the deal.
Old 04-25-13, 01:26 AM
dman00001
Rookie

Originally Posted by bhaskarsai
Hi,

I was informed to replace my brake pads on my LEXUS ES 350 as there is only 10% of life on it. I figuredout from my research that justbreaks.com is offering the brake replacement service for $100 for all 4 wheels VS. $640 from Lexus dealer. Is it how it costs? I spoke to justbrakes customer service and they informed that they would use aftermarket brakes of my choice (either semi-metallic or ceramics). (LEXUS dealer mentioned their brakes are semi metallic)

http://www.justbrakes.com/ (also offered lifetime guarantee on their brake pads...)

What do you recommend?
Google justbrakes.com ripoff. That should tell you everything you need to know. They got me once but never again.
Old 04-26-13, 05:46 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi,

What do you recommend?
If your brakes are working correctly now with no pulsing then just have the pads replaced. Do not resurface or replace the rotors. This would be the least expensive way for this repair. The dealer will do a complete replacement of pads and rotors for that price. Lexus parts costs are high and so is the labor. An independent can do the same job for half the price but if only pads are needed then cost would be much lower. Also before you get the job done make sure that you tell the shop you want the old parts back. Also if they tell you the rotors are not to good ask them what is the thickness and what is the thickness specification. If they are more than 60% worn then replace them otherwise just leave them. Good luck
Old 04-26-13, 05:42 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

just had my front rotors Machines with a on the car Pro Cut Machine and Pads replaced with Ceramic at pep boys for 180 after online cupon and mail in rebate
a day later my rear started makeing noise i was not about to spend an extra 120 for the rotors they wanted telling me mine couldn't be saved

so i ordered Akebono rear pads and rotors off amazon going this weekend to have a friends mechanic put them on for 50 bucks
Old 04-29-13, 04:47 AM
bhaskarsai
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply friends. Just brakes resurfaced my rotors and changed all brake pads with posai quite ceramic pads along with replacing allb the hardware for 307. They also offered me a life time warranty on the pads. I.e. anytime brake replacement will be done for free after paying $28 labor per wheel. I feel
Like it is a nice deal.
Old 04-29-13, 07:46 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can buy quality ceramic pads and premium vented rotors from any auto parts supplier (Napa, etc.) for about $300. For a weekend's worth of work and a couple steaks/beers for a buddy, you can do the job yourself pretty easily.
Old 05-02-13, 05:35 AM
johncoby
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

What do you recommend?
Well, just as a data point. My 2007 es350 had the front brakes done and the rotors replaced by a local mechanic that I trust. He charged me $233.00. They are great.

Lexus will charge you out the ying yang. They are absolutely off the wall. You have to be rich and stupid to take your car there.
Old 05-02-13, 06:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by johncoby
Well, just as a data point. My 2007 es350 had the front brakes done and the rotors replaced by a local mechanic that I trust. He charged me $233.00. They are great.

Lexus will charge you out the ying yang. They are absolutely off the wall. You have to be rich and stupid to take your car there.
Many rich people are not stupid - That's how they got rich.

I agree Lexus service is expensive but worth it to some people. Different strokes.
Old 05-02-13, 08:08 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When my 2007, at 18,000 miles, needed new rear brake pads (fronts were way good), the Lexus service writer told me that it was normal for them to wear out by then and the cost was going to be upwards of $200+. That is until I pulled out the recall on the rear brake pads, then it was n/c. From that point on, only warranty work only for the Lexus dealer with my honest / personal friends local garage getting the repair and maintenance business.
Old 05-02-13, 04:19 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
the Lexus service writer told me that it was normal for them to wear out by then and the cost was going to be upwards of $200+. That is until I pulled out the recall on the rear brake pads, then it was n/c.
What a crook!!!!
I still turn my own wrench so I know what's going on and I still enjoy knowing what makes my car tick. The dealer calls and talks to my wife about having service done $$$$ and they of course cannot believe a Lexus owner gets his hands dirty.
Old 05-02-13, 05:33 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Many rich people are not stupid - That's how they got rich.

I agree Lexus service is expensive but worth it to some people. Different strokes.
agree
very smart
i know im smart not dumb but not rich either darn where the hell did i go wrong lmao
Old 05-02-13, 05:34 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by garsarno
When my 2007, at 18,000 miles, needed new rear brake pads (fronts were way good), the Lexus service writer told me that it was normal for them to wear out by then and the cost was going to be upwards of $200+. That is until I pulled out the recall on the rear brake pads, then it was n/c. From that point on, only warranty work only for the Lexus dealer with my honest / personal friends local garage getting the repair and maintenance business.
what recall was on the rear breaks ? i mean break pads but when was the recall ?
Old 12-01-13, 09:33 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
just had my front rotors Machines with a on the car Pro Cut Machine and Pads replaced with Ceramic at pep boys for 180 after online cupon and mail in rebate
a day later my rear started makeing noise i was not about to spend an extra 120 for the rotors they wanted telling me mine couldn't be saved

so i ordered Akebono rear pads and rotors off amazon going this weekend to have a friends mechanic put them on for 50 bucks
How are the akebono's for this car? Notice any difference between OEM?
Old 12-02-13, 07:56 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by iceblast
How are the akebono's for this car? Notice any difference between OEM?
I had installed Akebono pads on my IS, they worked just fine

Quick Reply: Need advise on Brake service cost for my ES 350