ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

LED taillight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 11:44 AM
crashman
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LED taillight bulbs?

I just bought a 2012 ES350. I had a 202 ES300 that i had the LED tail lights and really like them. I looked around here on the forum and Ebay and didn't see the whole light assembly. So I'm guessing that I need to get the LED bulbs. Does anyone have an opinion what type to use? How about the flasher mod for hyper flash? I don't what to add in line resisters.
Old 04-13-13, 05:15 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crashman
I just bought a 2012 ES350. I had a 202 ES300 that i had the LED tail lights and really like them. I looked around here on the forum and Ebay and didn't see the whole light assembly. So I'm guessing that I need to get the LED bulbs. Does anyone have an opinion what type to use? How about the flasher mod for hyper flash? I don't what to add in line resisters.
I had led tail lights on my 02 ES300 as well and I miss them, I emailed Eagle Eyes to see if they plan on making headlights and tail lights for the ES350 with no response. Ill keep my eye out for error free indicators without in line resistors, I have seen a plug and play module so you don't have to tap into factory wiring. Ill see if I can find a link.
Old 04-13-13, 08:42 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

i ordered 2 set of plug and play turn LEDs from an (ex) vendor on CL, they didn't snap into the existing holder properly and they hyperflashed. /and he accepted the return and didn't return my $70.

the rear backup LEDs installed properly and help w my 3rd party backup camera.
Old 04-13-13, 12:19 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done LEDs in the forward parking lights and reverse lights.

LED turn signals can be done, but require resistors to be wired in as without them, they'll hyper-flash as nevernu said. With the resistors wired in, they'll work properly.

I would imagine that you could get LED replacement bulbs for the tail and stop bulbs, but they may need resistors wired in as well to prevent the computer from throwing a bulb out indicator and keep the bulbs from not working. I would also recommend pulling the existing bulbs and measuring their overall length and diameter so that you can avoid any issues with bulbs that may be too big. It may be tempting to order those 48-LED bulbs to get the extra light output when in actuality they won't even go into the housing, etc.
Old 04-13-13, 05:53 PM
crashman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcat_350
I've done LEDs in the forward parking lights and reverse lights.

LED turn signals can be done, but require resistors to be wired in as without them, they'll hyper-flash as nevernu said. With the resistors wired in, they'll work properly.

I would imagine that you could get LED replacement bulbs for the tail and stop bulbs, but they may need resistors wired in as well to prevent the computer from throwing a bulb out indicator and keep the bulbs from not working. I would also recommend pulling the existing bulbs and measuring their overall length and diameter so that you can avoid any issues with bulbs that may be too big. It may be tempting to order those 48-LED bulbs to get the extra light output when in actuality they won't even go into the housing, etc.
Thanks for the info, good advice.
Old 04-13-13, 05:56 PM
crashman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SICK350
I had led tail lights on my 02 ES300 as well and I miss them, I emailed Eagle Eyes to see if they plan on making headlights and tail lights for the ES350 with no response. Ill keep my eye out for error free indicators without in line resistors, I have seen a plug and play module so you don't have to tap into factory wiring. Ill see if I can find a link.
I saw your write up and mods nice
Old 11-19-13, 01:23 PM
mnedescu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to replace my turn signals to LEDs and from reading the thread, I expect them to hyperflash. However does anyone know the location of the flasher relay? Since they hyperflash with LEDs, i assume there is a simple flasher relay that can be replaced with a digital one which will not hyperflash the LEDs.
Old 11-22-13, 09:49 AM
mnedescu
Driver School Candidate

any idea where the Flasher relay is located?
Old 12-02-13, 08:04 AM
mnedescu
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have the wiring diagram or rough location of the flasher relay?
Old 12-03-13, 09:02 AM
mnedescu
Driver School Candidate

so a little google search, I found the diagram and a replacement led flasher:

Electronic Car Flasher Relay to Fix LED Light Flash Signal 8 Pin for Toyota: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors Electronic Car Flasher Relay to Fix LED Light Flash Signal 8 Pin for Toyota: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

Old 03-03-24, 12:25 PM
Qbassophone
1st Gear

Originally Posted by crashman

Hi. Can you please tell me which tail light bulbs you used for your 2002 ES300? I switched to LEDs in mine and I'm getting a error message. I don't want to use a resistor since there's no mounting room, unless there's a good way to go about it. Thank you.
Old 03-03-24, 06:50 PM
elfpcf
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 cents, I have the tail light out symbol on the dash so I removed the driver side stop light (not working) It was LED. The parts house did not have any so I bought a standard bulb. Installed and don't see difference twix driver and passenger side brightness. I will go for a standard bulb for the passenger side and toss the LED.
Ed
The following users liked this post:
Wilson2000 (03-05-24)