ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Regarding 6k HID Lighting & Ballast

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 03:13 AM
Rudeboy88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Regarding 6k HID Lighting & Ballast

Okay, So I've been staying up all night trying to figure out if the stock ballast that's already installed in the vechile (Toyota/Lexus Factory D4S/D4R HID Xenon Ballast) Im assuming. Do i need to buy the 6k HID kit or just the bulb it's self? I zoomed in and it states that the factory ballast comes with 35w; Same as the kit? Thanks Guys

PS: Any recommendation on which bulb to get (HID Xenon)? Maybe Halo Lights?

Thanks Guys,
Appreciate It
Old 01-26-13, 05:39 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudeboy88
Okay, So I've been staying up all night trying to figure out if the stock ballast that's already installed in the vechile (Toyota/Lexus Factory D4S/D4R HID Xenon Ballast) Im assuming. Do i need to buy the 6k HID kit or just the bulb it's self? I zoomed in and it states that the factory ballast comes with 35w; Same as the kit? Thanks Guys

PS: Any recommendation on which bulb to get (HID Xenon)? Maybe Halo Lights?

Thanks Guys,
Appreciate It
As long as your bulb is the same size as the factory bulb D4S your factory ballasts will work, 6000k refers to the heat it burns at and the color it gives off. I'm pretty sure that the factory ballasts are 55w but I'm running 35w aftermarket ballasts as my car did not come with hid's. As for halos there a big job which requires removing the lens, mounting the halo, wiring and reinstalling the lens. They look great when installed but hard to do! Go for a hid bulb with a good warranty as a lot of retailers are offering one.
Old 01-26-13, 10:25 AM
Rudeboy88
Driver School Candidate

Forsure man, But is there an actual way where i can check and see how many watts the factory ballast has? Doesn't all 2007 and above lexus come with HID ballast? I called Lexus they weren't much help, Lol. I seen a demonstration on youtube of ballast (
) and notice the difference. That's why i wanted to make sure it was a 35w ballast.

Appreciate it man

Ps. @SICK350 Your old ES Was; SICKKKK!
Old 01-26-13, 10:53 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

So after some research I can tell you 100% that there 35w ballasts, there should be a yellow label on the ballast it's self and it says 35w. I looked at used OEM ballasts on ebay for our cars to confirm.

Thanks I miss the old car.
Old 01-26-13, 11:43 AM
Rudeboy88
Driver School Candidate

Sweet! So I'll just buy the bulb it's self. How about the Fog Lights? Do i just buy the bulbs for that as well? Or they come also w a 35watt ballast? I was researching online an saw that the ES350 contains:

-Low Beam (H7 Bulb)
-High Beam (9005 Bulb)
-Fog/ Driving Light Bulb (9006)

So I just buy a set of each bulb to complete the whole conversion for the front? Turn signals need to be converted as well? I'm sure they have to stay yellow?
Old 01-26-13, 11:53 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

To do your high beams or fog lights you would have to buy the kit with the ballasts. The h7 low beam bulb is for the model not equipped with hid's from factory. The model with hid's from factory contains:

- Low Beam (D4S bulb)
- High Beam (9005 bulb)
- Fog Lights (9006 bulb)

I changed the front parking lights with a led but left my signal bulbs OEM.
Old 01-26-13, 01:06 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

The DRLs are tricky. If you switch your DRL bulb with a HID kit, you will be driving with high beams during the day. But if you switch the bulb with an LED, you will lose the function of the high beams. So...pick your poison i guess.

If you want the best of both worlds, go with a better bulb (not HID or LED). Since the DRL's are running in a lower output, the new bulbs won't look as blue as it should, but it will definitely be better than the stock.
Old 01-26-13, 05:13 PM
Rudeboy88
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, But what are DRLs?! Seems more confusing than it shouldn't be, Lol
Old 01-26-13, 05:43 PM
Rudeboy88
Driver School Candidate

Okay, Plain & Simple
Which bulb or beam is the one which warns drivers you are driving even during the day?

Which bulb or beam is the one where you actually turn it on at night? Same or different?

Which bulb or beam is the one which i do NOT need a kit for? And which one do I NEED a kit for?

Sorry just getting real confusing. I understand how the D4S is the factory bulb so do i need a kit to convert it and is that bulb the one that stays on all day? Or night?

Appreciate it Guys! Wanna order these ASAP!

PS. DDMtuning or Ebay? Or? Any suggestions on brands?
Old 01-27-13, 01:41 AM
jacobjohn
Driver

Okay. When you are driving your car during the day, you will notice this ugly yellowish light that's turned on. This is called the DRL (Daytime running lamp/light) (9006 bulb). With lexus, your DRLs are also your highbeams (same bulb, same everything, just different output). If you want to test this out, turn on your highbeams during the day and you will notice that your DRL's just became significantly brighter. Again, these two things are the same bulb. You have three options to change your DRLs/Highbeams.
1. buy a HID kit for 9006 bulb. Like i said in my either post, if you decide to go with this kit, your DRLs during the day will have the same output as your highbeams. In other words, instead of a weak light turned on during the day, your highbeams will just be blasting the whole time.
2. buy an 9006 LED bulb. Like I said in my earlier post, if you decide to go with this LED bulb, you will lose the functionality of a highbeam just because an LED bulb can't push out that much bright, useful light. Modern day LED bulbs have ****ty output, so even though you might turn on your highbeams with your car, you will hardly notice them.
3. buy a better regular 9006 bulb. This will function just like your stock bulb, but the color may or may not be better, depending on the brand of the bulb. (Which brand to buy....don't ask me)

Personally, I would go with option 3

The bulb that is turned on automatically at night is the D4S bulb (lowbeam; HID bulb). One way to know if you have the D4S bulb is by turning your steering wheel while you're driving. If your lights change directions as you turn, then you haave HID bulbs (in this case, a D4S bulb). Since you already have an HID bulb in your car, no kit is required. Just buy a bulb that has a 6000k output (or w/e color you like)

Another bulb that is turned on automatically at night is the parking light. This is the dark yellow light that is in-between your blinker and your lowbeam. This bulb number is 194. The only bulb you can switch this with, that is worthwhile, is an LED bulb (no kit required, just straight plug in and it will work).

As for the fog lights (9006 bulb number), you will need an HID kit if you want to match the color of your lowbeams. You could also go with an LED bulb, but the output will definitely not be the same and the color match might be off a little. (color match as in the color of your lowbeams and fog will not match.)

As for the blinkers, only worthwhile change would be LED bulbs.

THAT IS EVERYTHING IN THE FRONT. For the taillights and the reverse light, change them to LED bulbs or keep it stock! Find the bulb number, and pretty much everything else that you need to know by using the search button!!!

Last edited by jacobjohn; 01-27-13 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-27-13, 11:23 AM
Rudeboy88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Fantastic

Forsure Man!! That's all i needed appreciate the help!! Now time to find thest prices on ebay!

Thanks Agian! @jacobjohn

Pictures coming soon!
Old 01-27-13, 05:31 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Haha, no problem man. I know it was confusing for me as well when I started to change the lights on my car!! Can't wait for the pictures though! What did you decide for the DRLs/Highbeams?
Old 01-28-13, 02:23 PM
Rudeboy88
Driver School Candidate

Yeah for the Highbeam I actually just went and bought a 7500k Halo Japan Halogen Bulb since the output is not the same at 6k i went up to 7500k for the highbeam after reading a few reviews (Instead of converting to HID Kit) But yest. I did notice that instead of D4S i have H7 lights on the lowbeam. Thank god i checked! Lol
Old 02-13-13, 02:37 AM
hulkswole
Driver School Candidate

Default Light conversion

I used a site recommended on here by a few of the members and got the white LED DRLS/high beams. While they look cool the functionality is non existent. I definitely wont be going back to the yellowish OEM bulb but don't want that color either. You said you went with a 7500k output bulb? Im assuming its plug in play? Hows the color?
Old 07-22-22, 01:11 AM
daviddarwi
2nd gear

Ballasts for some more recent vehicles must be Canbus compliant. It is an electronic communication system that enables intercommunication between electrical components and gadgets. Imagine attaching a non-Canbus ballast to a vehicle with a Canbus system. In that case, even if you have a brand-new, fully functional HID kit installed, you will frequently notice caution lights on your dash.

Quick Reply: Regarding 6k HID Lighting & Ballast