ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Extreme Cold Weather Alert!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 05:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Its been 5 F here in Buffalo and my 2001 es300 with 211k miles is parked outside and starts up everytime no hesitation, love these cars
Old 01-26-13, 06:44 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Its been 5 F here in Buffalo and my 2001 es300 with 211k miles is parked outside and starts up everytime no hesitation, love these cars
I don't know how u guys survive in NY State!!! I know Syracuse gets the most snow cause I have a few cousins that live there but Buffalo seems to be always digging them selves out of something!!
Old 03-19-13, 01:24 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twistedman
Lol one thing I never go without running is synthetic oil! Especially during cold starts! The oil flows really nice! I also use a MotoMaster Eliminator car battery, which is also excellent for cold weather!
We get the more extreme weather more often than not (-20 C/ -4 F). I notice my ES 350 runs quite noisy at this temperature and anything less than -5 C /23 F, really. It sounds like a diesel engine or old Ford Model T gallopy lol, I attribute this to the piston slap that has been documented here on this site. Makes me really want an autostarter and block heater on this baby, I will have to get one. Have you done this?

I notice quite a bit of steering wheel vibration if I dont let it warm up for more than 6-7 minutes (RPM at 1100 or above). I get slight vibration at 1K RPM, and none at 750 RPM when it is finally fully warmed. I hope this is normal too. The service tech said it is normal at 1K RPM, but I just hope its nothing else. I have had an engine mount replaced also.

I am running regular oil, and am contemplating the synthetic ... Was there any issues when you made the switch? Side note, the dealer charges $160 for synthetic changes! Ridiculous, but if it is necessary I will make the switch.

Last edited by iceblast; 03-19-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 06:36 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running synthetic in my 2008 ES350; still sounds like a diesel. There's a TSB for the engine noise - but good luck getting a dealer to fix it (it involves a pretty good tear-down of the top of the engine to replace things...)

As far as I can tell it's not doing damage, and others in the forum have expressed high milage on their engines with this clanking. It's not piston slap, from what I can tell - but some clanking in the top end of the engine.

I also get the vibration before the car is warmed up - just the engine trying to maintain revs etc. Only when it's cold out mostly. Idling at a stop light in gear....

Purchasing a remote starter to go on the car before delivery was the best thing I ever did! It definitely quiets down the clanking a bit even if it runs for 2-3 minutes before you get in and go. I'd strongly advise anyone in cold weather to have one, even if the car is garaged.
Old 03-20-13, 07:38 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been using Mobil One for many years (even used Arco Graphite oil back in the late 70's / early 80's) for the cold start usage and protection. I would switch over but once you switch, you should not return to non synthetic oil in the car. My 2007 had the diesel engine noise but my current 2011 has none. Used Mobil One in the 2007 to no avail.
Old 03-20-13, 12:50 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mlacomb
I'm running synthetic in my 2008 ES350; still sounds like a diesel. There's a TSB for the engine noise - but good luck getting a dealer to fix it (it involves a pretty good tear-down of the top of the engine to replace things...)

As far as I can tell it's not doing damage, and others in the forum have expressed high milage on their engines with this clanking. It's not piston slap, from what I can tell - but some clanking in the top end of the engine.

I also get the vibration before the car is warmed up - just the engine trying to maintain revs etc. Only when it's cold out mostly. Idling at a stop light in gear....

Purchasing a remote starter to go on the car before delivery was the best thing I ever did! It definitely quiets down the clanking a bit even if it runs for 2-3 minutes before you get in and go. I'd strongly advise anyone in cold weather to have one, even if the car is garaged.
Cannot believe Lexus engineers would let these cars leave the factory sounding like that ... very disappointing, oh well, I don't find it to be a huge issue for me.

What type of auto start do you have? Very curious. Also did you have to sacrifice a key for the security bypass?
Old 03-20-13, 04:33 PM
don6709
Driver School Candidate

i live in Texas and you can count on one finger the number of times it goes below 20F. and yet overnight when it gets cold, tranmission shifts get delayed and when they do shift it is with a jolt. none of those buttery smoooth shifts that we are all accusotmed to.

when the transmission warms up the car goes to sixth gear at 45mph like it normally does. . when it is really cold (relatively) it seems like you have to cruise above 55 for more than 10 secs for it to shift.

none of those buttery smoooth shifts that we are all accusotmed to.
Old 03-21-13, 11:56 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iceblast
Cannot believe Lexus engineers would let these cars leave the factory sounding like that ... very disappointing, oh well, I don't find it to be a huge issue for me.

What type of auto start do you have? Very curious. Also did you have to sacrifice a key for the security bypass?
Dealership installed it; I forget the manufacturer - but to me it wasn't a well known one. I didn't have to sacrifice a key for the bypass; still have both original keys.

The only things that bug me - and one is an installation thing - is that they don't tie in the wire to turn on the rear defrost by default. Seeing as I use it more in winter than in the summer, I'd like that. Also - since it's not "factory-ish", when I open the car door to get in the engine shuts off.

But I'm not giving it up for anything. Warming it up for 2-5 minutes greatly quells the dieseling sound, so much so that when I go home from work it's kind of startling.
Old 03-21-13, 06:59 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Originally Posted by iceblast
We get the more extreme weather more often than not (-20 C/ -4 F). I notice my ES 350 runs quite noisy at this temperature and anything less than -5 C /23 F, really. It sounds like a diesel engine or old Ford Model T gallopy lol, I attribute this to the piston slap that has been documented here on this site. Makes me really want an autostarter and block heater on this baby, I will have to get one. Have you done this?

I notice quite a bit of steering wheel vibration if I dont let it warm up for more than 6-7 minutes (RPM at 1100 or above). I get slight vibration at 1K RPM, and none at 750 RPM when it is finally fully warmed. I hope this is normal too. The service tech said it is normal at 1K RPM, but I just hope its nothing else. I have had an engine mount replaced also.

I am running regular oil, and am contemplating the synthetic ... Was there any issues when you made the switch? Side note, the dealer charges $160 for synthetic changes! Ridiculous, but if it is necessary I will make the switch.
You most defiantly have to go with synthetic oil in these cold temps! I usually goto Mr Lube just up the street and the charge me 84 bucks for Mobil One and top up all my fluids.. The only thing I've gone to the Lexus dealer for is my engine coolant flush which i had done at 106,000 km. My car is also garage parked so those really cold mornings ill let the car run for 5min and she's all good!!

On extreme cold morning starts is when you can do the most damage to your engine which is why you should run the synthetic oil for that added viscous protection..