ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Hard wiring a portable GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 01:40 PM
Tact
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard wiring a portable GPS

I have a 2009 ES350 w/out navigation and I bought a Garmin GPS. I will probably mount this in the corner of my dash and I want a clean hard wire to my fuse box. I don't want to have dangling wires and plug into my cigarette lighter, having to plug it in and out every time I want to use it.

Has anyone done this before? If so, where do I want to hard wire this to so I have constant power? I also assume I would have to have an inline fuse. If so, what amp fuse would I need. Mind you, I'm not that educated on wiring this, so speak in simple terms.
Old 09-19-12, 05:01 PM
Tact
Driver

I'm now thinking about getting an extra cigarette female socket and wiring that in to a 12v fuse opening/power supply and plugging in the Garmin power cord, leaving it plugged in permanently. I guess I need to find a power supply that turns off with the ignition as I don't want it on the entire time.

Thoughts??
Old 09-19-12, 05:57 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My only thought.... Have you checked with Garmin to see if they offer a hard-wire kit? Most manufacturers of radar detectors offer one for those who wish to semi-permanently mount their detectors. Check their web site.

It would be easiest to wire into the existing cig lighter, as it turns off with the engine and is easy to get to. Be sure to add an inline fuse to your wiring--just in case....

We have a Garmin that we bought long before we bought our ES. It's inexpensive and works as well as the ES factory NAV unit, if not better, plus a lifetime upgrade is only $80, while a one-time upgrade to the factory NAV is $169 or so from Sewell Lexus. Obviously, I would heartily recommend a Garmin to those that don't have factory NAV.
Old 09-20-12, 07:40 AM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assume you're mounting it by the driver's A-pillar ? You can tuck the wire into the space between the dash and the frame to get under the dash. There should be a couple of spaces labeled "ACCY" or cig lighter "CL" that you can plug into.

I'm not sure you have to have an in-line fuse, but it's probably a good idea.
Old 09-20-12, 01:33 PM
majorae
Driver School Candidate

Radio shack sells an adapter that is bare wire on one side and a female cigarette adapter on the other. This has an inline fuse included and as long as it is not too large to fit in the fuse box provides fused protection and you dont have to permanetly modify the GPS power cord.

Never done this in an es350, but it worked great in both an a4 and a6.

Once you are in the fuse box, you can plug into a something that is switched with the ignition. I typically try and find a robust power source that i dont use often. Rear windshield deforster for exmaple, never use this in So fla where i live.
Old 09-20-12, 01:44 PM
Tact
Driver

Thanks for the suggestions. If I find an open space in the fuse panel what amp fuse should be used? I assume the same amp as the cigarette lighter? I'm going to visit Radio Shack on the way home and see if they have the plug.
Old 09-20-12, 04:28 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my '11 direct wired for my radar detector. My normal garage guy had problems with the mini fuses. Had to go to car stereo shop and they handled it without a problem.
Old 09-20-12, 04:43 PM
Tact
Driver

I got the accessory plug at Radio Shack and I thing I'm going to remove the center console to access the back of the cigarette lighter. There I'll splice on to the red/hot wire and ground somewhere nearby.

Currently, the fuse for the cig lighter is 20amp, and the inline fuse for the new socket is 10amp. Should I replace the 20 amp fuse with a 30amp fuse if I decide to run a radar detector and the GPS at the same time?

Last edited by Tact; 09-20-12 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-20-12, 06:13 PM
majorae
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tact
I got the accessory plug at Radio Shack and I thing I'm going to remove the center console to access the back of the cigarette lighter. There I'll splice on to the red/hot wire and ground somewhere nearby.

Currently, the fuse for the cig lighter is 20amp, and the inline fuse for the new socket is 10amp. Should I replace the 20 amp fuse with a 30amp fuse if I decide to run a radar detector and the GPS at the same time?
I don't not think that will be necessary. I highly doubt you will have any issues. I would make sure that what you splice into is switched with the ignition. That would really suck to do all that work, pull the keys out and have that gps still glowing!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-21-12, 06:10 AM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by CQRT
Assume you're mounting it by the driver's A-pillar ? You can tuck the wire into the space between the dash and the frame to get under the dash. There should be a couple of spaces labeled "ACCY" or cig lighter "CL" that you can plug into.

I'm not sure you have to have an in-line fuse, but it's probably a good idea.
That area is my intended spot, but the dash is so tight against the A-pillar I'm concerned I'm going to crack something. My power cord also has a traffic antenna built onto the cord, which is like a big knot sticking out. I wonder if there is enough room by the left speaker to fish the power cord through? Has anyone tried to mount a GPS in the left corner, and how did you feed the power cord to this location? I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything.

There is no room in my fuse box to add another circuit. Also, I thought about dropping the fuse box to access the wires but I can't see how you would loosen the box to remove it.
Old 09-21-12, 07:34 PM
Tact
Driver

I guess mt best bet is to access the hot wire going to the cig lighter is to remove the center console and splice on the hot wire there. I still need some idea how I'm going to run the power cable to the left side of my dash without a lot of issues. Any ideas??
Old 09-27-12, 05:13 PM
glepera
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hang on go to best buy and they will wire the thing for you for $100 bucks it may not be very DIY but i know it saved me a ton of heart ache wiring my aftermarket satellite radio
Old 09-27-12, 05:28 PM
Tact
Driver

Well, I tapped on to the hot wire coming from the cig lighter/accessory plug. I removed the center console part that surrounds the gear shifter to access the plug. After tapping into the hot wire I attached the negative wire to the metal plate that surrounds the steering wheel shaft that goes through the firewall as a ground.

Then I removed the cover that attaches to the side of the dash, the part that fits against the door when the door is shut, and ran my power cord behind the metal framing. After reattaching the cover the power cord is completely concealed. The only part of the power cord that is visible is where it runs out of the top of the cover and onto the dash, which is only about 5 inches of cord, which is where the GPS is mounted. The other end of the power cord is under the dash and plugged into the new ACC plug. Under the dash everything is zip tied out of sight. The power cord is plugged in permanently and is only powered on when the ignition is on and when plugged up to the GPS.

Last edited by Tact; 09-27-12 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 06:59 AM
Sandburn
Driver School Candidate

Pictures please
Old 01-11-13, 04:07 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tact
Well, I tapped on to the hot wire coming from the cig lighter/accessory plug. I removed the center console part that surrounds the gear shifter to access the plug. After tapping into the hot wire I attached the negative wire to the metal plate that surrounds the steering wheel shaft that goes through the firewall as a ground.

Then I removed the cover that attaches to the side of the dash, the part that fits against the door when the door is shut, and ran my power cord behind the metal framing. After reattaching the cover the power cord is completely concealed. The only part of the power cord that is visible is where it runs out of the top of the cover and onto the dash, which is only about 5 inches of cord, which is where the GPS is mounted. The other end of the power cord is under the dash and plugged into the new ACC plug. Under the dash everything is zip tied out of sight. The power cord is plugged in permanently and is only powered on when the ignition is on and when plugged up to the GPS.
All you need is this fuse tap and run the wire up the rubber side door gasket. http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...ge=1&pplan=GSA

Quick Reply: Hard wiring a portable GPS