ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Power-train Warranty Experiences?

Old 09-14-12, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Which dealership is it at, Rockville? I wish I still knew somebody good at Rockville but my guy is long gone.

If the vehicle was just there, they would have checked the coolant level. Do you have the service receipt? Does it reference that fluid levels were topped off and okay?

If the water pump failed, thats definitely part of the powertrain warranty and it should be covered.

If they absolutely wont do it, I have an incredible Lexus mechanic in Rockville that I can refer you to. He was a Lexus master tech for 16 years, has his own shop now. Hell, he might be able to help you get them to cover it...

Let them work on it, they need to get the regional rep involved and get it covered. I always had good experiences at Rockville, I bet they come back and cover it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-14-12 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-14-12, 10:56 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen Toyota/Lexus technical info (I think that it may be a "Tech Tip") about the coolant pump face type shaft seal leaking issues.......I think it was on this forum. It details how the dealer/techs are to deal with coolant leaks and/or indications of coolant leaks from the coolant pump. It's a known problem........but it's something than can get missed unless the coolant level/quantity is checked on a regular basis. You can also bet that some of the dealers don't even check the coolant level (this is also the responsibility of the owner), never mind checking the coolant pump seal leakage "witness hole" for signs of leakage.......it takes some effort to see it.

Last edited by oldgrump; 09-14-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-14-12, 11:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldgrump
You can also bet that some of the dealers don't even check the coolant level (this is also the responsibility of the owner), never mind checking the coolant pump seal leakage "witness hole" for signs of leakage.......it takes some effort to see it.
If he was just there for service 6 days prior, and had a 5K service done and not just an oil change then they should have checked the vital fluids. If it was a critical loss all at once, then some failure is to blame for that loss of coolant.

I called Lexus of Rockville and was told that when they only do an oil change they do not check or top off anything else, all they do is change the oil. When they do a 5k service, which would be oil change/tire rotation,etc then they do an inspection and check everything.

So, to the OP, which did you have done when you were in 6 days prior?
Old 09-14-12, 01:14 PM
NewCombo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Which dealership is it at, Rockville? I wish I still knew somebody good at Rockville but my guy is long gone.

If the vehicle was just there, they would have checked the coolant level. Do you have the service receipt? Does it reference that fluid levels were topped off and okay?

If the water pump failed, thats definitely part of the powertrain warranty and it should be covered.

If they absolutely wont do it, I have an incredible Lexus mechanic in Rockville that I can refer you to. He was a Lexus master tech for 16 years, has his own shop now. Hell, he might be able to help you get them to cover it...

Let them work on it, they need to get the regional rep involved and get it covered. I always had good experiences at Rockville, I bet they come back and cover it.
Yes its been at Rockville Lexus for the last 10 days. I keep getting "We will call you back . . ." and no answers.

If you know anyone I can contact other than the service department I would love to have some help.
Old 09-14-12, 01:16 PM
NewCombo
Driver School Candidate

If he was just there for service 6 days prior, and had a 5K service done and not just an oil change then they should have checked the vital fluids. If it was a critical loss all at once, then some failure is to blame for that loss of coolant.

I called Lexus of Rockville and was told that when they only do an oil change they do not check or top off anything else, all they do is change the oil. When they do a 5k service, which would be oil change/tire rotation,etc then they do an inspection and check everything.

So, to the OP, which did you have done when you were in 6 days prior?
The service wasn't 6 days prior it was about 30 days prior.

The car has been at the shop for 6 days when I posted with no answer, now its 10 days . . .still no answer.

The receipts are in the glove compartment which is in the shop.

I got whatever they told me to get. I assumed it included the tire rotation thats what I wanted.

It cost about ~$80.00 if that helps.
Old 09-14-12, 02:00 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

I found the info.......it's a TSB. It's the pdf file in nevernu's post #5 here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...lant-leak.html
Old 09-14-12, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately if it was only $80 it was just an oil change, they wouldn't have checked any fluids...a 5k service would have been $200+

Another reason why I like my independent mechanic...he always checks everything even when the service doesn't call for it.

Do they have you in a loaner? If so I'd let them take all the time they want.
Old 09-14-12, 03:06 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Any tech with any common sense will check the coolant level on these cars when he accomplishes an oil change. It takes ZERO time and should be automatic.
Old 09-14-12, 04:35 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Our local Lexus dealership uses a "Jiffy Lube" type service shop on their property for oil changes. The shuttler picks up your car from the drop off point, drives it there, they do their thing and then either he or a different shuttler drives it through the automatic car wash for the free Lexus wash and returns it to the same area. I would like to think they check all the fluids for the simple reason to sell a little bit of coolant, brake fluid etc on top on the service done.
Old 09-14-12, 05:55 PM
NewCombo
Driver School Candidate

So I have news. I don't know if it is good or bad.

The service rep told me that they ordered my engine parts.

The rep let me know this is most likely a good thing.

He said this will be a "good will" warranty but they don't have final approval.

So I'm still waiting but it looks like there has been progress.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and tips. I will keep you posted if anything happens.
Old 09-14-12, 09:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Any tech with any common sense will check the coolant level on these cars when he accomplishes an oil change. It takes ZERO time and should be automatic.
I called the dealership his car is at, they said they don't do that when its just an oil change. They said all they do is change the oil, they don't check or top off any fluids. More reason to have someone else do your oil changes IMHO...I mean...Jiffy Lube checks the fluids for $25!

To the OP, thats good! They wouldn't have gone to the expense of ordering the parts I wouldn't think if they weren't going to do it.

Rockville is a good dealership. I used them for years until my service rep moved on, then I found my independent guy.
Old 09-15-12, 05:17 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use an independent guy that lets me hover around too while he is working on the car (two generation Gulf dealer which is more like family). They check all of the fluids, filters are dated / mileage recorded etc. Sometimes mom and pop places are the the best to give your business to. And they keep computerized records of all services performed.
Old 09-15-12, 05:28 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bizarrest case EVER!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by NewCombo
So I have news. I don't know if it is good or bad.

The service rep told me that they ordered my engine parts.

The rep let me know this is most likely a good thing.

He said this will be a "good will" warranty but they don't have final approval.

So I'm still waiting but it looks like there has been progress.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and tips. I will keep you posted if anything happens.
I would have only thought this kind of crap could come from a Chrysler dealer !!!!!!

goodwill gesture ......... give me a break .. aka LEGALLY REQUIRED including court costs if necessary and if it goes to a jury ....... throw in some punitive damages as well !!!!!!!

This one needs to go on your local evening news !!!!!\

Unfortunately if it was only $80 it was just an oil change, they wouldn't have checked any fluids...a 5k service would have been $200+

Another reason why I like my independent mechanic...he always checks everything even when the service doesn't call for it.

Do they have you in a loaner? If so I'd let them take all the time they want.
ONLY $80 for an oil change !!!!!!!
I sure hope it was synthetic.

OK ..... I live near pensacola florida .... closest Lexus dealer is in Mobile AL .... so about 90% of LexusES owners bring them it into bobtylertoyota.com ..... who does not charge extra for a Lexus when it's the same drivetrain as a Camry V6 or Avalon. They charge all of $65 OTD for a Mobil1 synthetic oil change WITH INSPECTION ....... which it so states on the receipt. As well, you also get a separate sheet of paper which shows the results of the "inspection" on a standard toyota checklist entitled "Multipoint Inspection" which tells you which fluids were low (if any), tire pressure, and brake pad depth.

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/s...40KMaintp1.jpg

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/s...1OilChange.jpg

We used to get identical documents from Superior Lexus in Kansas City when our (old) LS400 & ES300 vehicles were brought in.

:
Nobody in our extended family has ever been screwed by a Toyota or Lexus dealer in almost two million miles of driving.
But this wins the award when it comes to STEALERSHIPS.

Last edited by Paul3637; 09-15-12 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-15-12, 09:02 AM
Lexinky
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like they are on the right path, and are going to fix it.

I don't understand why the rep is not being clearer in his/ her wording but maybe it's all that they are allowed to say.

Give them the chance to do the right thing.

I know it has been 10 + days and I hope you were given a loaner car but try to be patient and keep communicating with them.

Please let us know what the outcome is.
Old 09-15-12, 09:31 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

What the hell parts did they order? The loss of power was probably the engine in the early stages of seizing up. Once an aluminium block engine badly overheats (especially to the point of seizing) the engine is basically scrap. Can we assume that they've ordered a long block (an engine assembly minus the accessories)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power-train Warranty Experiences?