ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

steering wheel shake at high speeds - brand new (2007 CPO) ES350

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 08:58 AM
feedmitten
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel shake at high speeds - brand new (2007 CPO) ES350

Hi - total n00b here and this issue may not be exclusive to the ES350. I picked up my shiny new used 2007 ES350 from the Lexus dealer yesterday. It's in great shape, and has less than 40k miles on it. It's one of their Certified Pre Owned cars and I got it for a good price.

When I was test driving the car, it had a slight shimmy and a pulsing when i was stopping. They replaced the front rotors and I believe that fixed the issue (though I have to press the brake pedal a lot further down than my last smaller car - is this normal to the ES350 or should I have them check that out too?) Other than that, I had very limited highway driving during the test drive.

My normal daily driving takes me on roads with 65mph speed limits. I did this yesterday evening and noticed the shaking / vibration in the steering wheel. This drives me absolutely crazy! (Had the same issue with the last car for 2+ years despite multiple trips to the dealer, &tc.) The ES350 has, I believe, all brand new tires as well.

Since it's new and bought from the dealer, I'm going to bring it in next week for service and hopefully they will fix whatever the issue is. The purpose of this post (other than to brag - I love having a new (to me) car!) is really to ask what people's experience with the dealers have been when it comes to problems like this. I can tell you that Hyundai was absolutely terrible).

Also, has anyone else had this issue, and would like to share the resolution? I'm praying that it simply a wheel-balancing-then-done issue.

Sorry for the long first post - thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 08-18-12, 09:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like maybe wheel balancing.
Try balancing the front tires.
Old 08-18-12, 10:16 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure they "replaced" the front rotors and did not just cut them down.
Old 08-18-12, 02:56 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by feedmitten
Hi - total n00b here and this issue may not be exclusive to the ES350. I picked up my shiny new used 2007 ES350 from the Lexus dealer yesterday. It's in great shape, and has less than 40k miles on it. It's one of their Certified Pre Owned cars and I got it for a good price.

When I was test driving the car, it had a slight shimmy and a pulsing when i was stopping. They replaced the front rotors and I believe that fixed the issue (though I have to press the brake pedal a lot further down than my last smaller car - is this normal to the ES350 or should I have them check that out too?) Other than that, I had very limited highway driving during the test drive.

My normal daily driving takes me on roads with 65mph speed limits. I did this yesterday evening and noticed the shaking / vibration in the steering wheel. This drives me absolutely crazy! (Had the same issue with the last car for 2+ years despite multiple trips to the dealer, &tc.) The ES350 has, I believe, all brand new tires as well.
Vibration under braking felt in the steering wheel is front brakes, vibration under braking felt in the seat is rear brakes. Resurfacing the rotors, if still within minimum thickness, is the normal correction for these conditions. Rotor replacement would be next step. Brake pedal travel is going to be different in various makes of car, but if you feel uncomfortable with it then have it checked. Someone might have done a poor job of bleeding the system when you had rotor service done earlier.

Vibration felt at speed, especially around the 65mph area, is mostly a wheel balance problem and/or excessive radial runout in the tire(s). Possibly even a bent wheel. Correction for this is to have the dealer perform what is called a Road Force balance of ALL 4 tires. This checks for excessive radial runout in the tires. Because you can still balance an out-of-round tire on the machine but when put to the pavement it will STILL vibrate.

Finally, this should've all been done during the Certification inspection before it got the CPO sticker slapped on it. Lazy technician or manager or both. Will cost you zero dollars.

Last edited by Road Rage; 08-18-12 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-12, 03:01 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Road Rage comes through again with the correct answer. Thanks for your input. I am sure we all appreciate it!!
Old 08-18-12, 03:50 PM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
Make sure they "replaced" the front rotors and did not just cut them down.
I'd be willing to be they just turned them . . . I'm at 50k and am thinking I'll need brakes soon . . high speed heavy braking produces a definite vibration/pulsing that I attribute to rotor warp.

Everything will be new when we get around to making the change . . .
Old 08-18-12, 04:21 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I never have the rotors turned anymore. When it is really time for brakes, then I do the whole thing: new rotors, pads etc. Been through the cost of turning the rotors, and then after a few thousand miles, always told there is no more to turn. But then I treat my gas and brake pedals as on and off switches. Just my style of driving.
Old 08-19-12, 04:21 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default My Choice

I replaced the rotors and pads on my 2008 recently.
My rotors were warped also. I really like these parts.
THe parts are from www.carparts.com:

Parts Ordered
Brake Hardware Kit 2008 Lexus ES350
Centric Brake Hardware Kit ES350
Price: $ 7.67
Qty: 1.00
Part #: CE117.44083

Brake Disc and Pad Kit 2008 Lexus ES350
Powerstop Brake Disc and Pad Kit ES350
Price: $ 193.80
Qty: 1.00
Part #: P15K186

Sub Total: $201.47
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $18.32
Handling: $4.40
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Total: $224.19
Old 08-19-12, 07:20 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The 07 had a recall on the rear brakes. Probably not related to steering wheel shake, but you should have it checked to make sure it was completed.
Old 08-19-12, 08:38 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Had my rear brake pads replaced on my past 2007 under recall. Sly dealer tried to quote me for the replacement but I whipped out the recall notice to give to him. The service writer said that it was normal for them to need replacement in 19,000 miles. Told her the fronts, I would maybe buy it but not the rears. I researched on this website, returned to the Lexus dealership and gave her the recall information. Told me I would still have to pay for the rotors to be cut. I declined and they installed the replacement pads. No problem after 50,000 miles and then I traded the car in.
Old 08-19-12, 09:33 AM
feedmitten
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks all

Thanks all for the advice!

To be clear, there is no longer any pulsing or vibration when braking, it just seems like I have to push the pedal in waaay too far before they start braking properly. Maybe it's just low fluid? I'll check the recall as well to see if there is any recourse if necessary.

As for the vibration, I drove my mother-in-law's '09 250 (hybrid) across NY State yesterday and it felt like it was sticking to the road with velcro (very good!) with no shaking. My father-in-law has an '07 ES350, exact same one I bought, and he reports that it drives a lot smoother than I'm seeing. My mother-in-law drove mine this a.m. and said that it seemed off (shaking, vibration), too.

Anyway, I feel like none of this should be my problem (including the chip in the windshield that they had covered up with the for sale sign!), and this is why I bought from Lexus, so I wouldn't have to deal with these issues. Will bring it in to service on Tuesday and see how they handle it. They are the only Lexus dealer in the area so I don't want to start off my 'service relationship' on a bad foot!

Appreciate the advice - now off to figure out why the freaking garage door opener programming isn't working!!
Old 08-19-12, 08:37 PM
AgentRS
Driver School Candidate

had the same issue myself and my problem was wheel balancing...good luck
Old 08-20-12, 06:46 PM
Caliholik
Driver School Candidate

Yeah i had the issue as well..
Old 08-21-12, 06:53 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by feedmitten
Now off to figure out why the freaking garage door opener programming isn't working!!
Re-read that section in your owner's manual. Chances are that you have what is known as a "Learning Door Opener" and you will have to first press the "Learning" button on the door opener's motor assembly, and THEN quickly jump in the car and do the thing with the buttons.

I found that programming the buttons in the ES was much simpler & easier than the Hondas we previously owned. Only took me one try to get it done.
Old 08-29-12, 01:53 PM
feedmitten
Driver School Candidate

Update(s): garage door opener thingy fixed. Yay!

Unfortunately, the issue with the shaking was not fixed. The car was picked up and apparently the mechanic drove it and said that it was fixed. I drove it at 70+mph this a.m. for the first time since last week and it still vibrates in the steering wheel. They said they Road Force Balanced the wheels.

I registered on Lexus.Com and looked at the vehicle history for this VIN. It looks like the road force balanced the wheels BEFORE I bought the car as well. They also did 4 wheel alignment and fielded complaints from the previous owner about this issue.

That said, I have absolutely no idea why they road force balanced the car when they clearly did the exact same thing (says so on their own website and they were the dealer that did this!) two months ago to no avail.

I'm assuming my only recourse is to bring it back to the dealer AGAIN? This is stupid. I bought this car because I was having stupid issues with the last one that the dealer kept giving me the run around from.

Thanks again all for your advice!

Quick Reply: steering wheel shake at high speeds - brand new (2007 CPO) ES350