ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How is Your lexus Holding Up? Mines not

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 02:10 AM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woodfield, Trade up!!!!!!! not likely. I dont consider water pumps and Wheel bearings minor issues and i am still stunned that these went bad so quick. I thought when I first got it, this would be like my other toyota's SOLID. I thought i would be a lexus owner for life. Nope so far no good. i hope i don't continue to see problems in it. I do like (as someone else mentioned) the ride and style of the lexus line. I am hoping for the best after this set of repairs.

Road rage, thanx for the info on the water pumps. Good to know i am not the only one having issues with this. I thought I just got a lemon with these issues so early.
Old 08-13-12, 09:24 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is going great...
what i love is the acceleration.. when u want it.. it is peppy.. contrary to what folks think.....

just be careful about the leather seats.. i feel they are going to start getting deep cracks.. someone posted to keep using some leather varnish product to keep it in good shape
also AVOID the sun AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE...
Old 08-13-12, 09:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

If you think those are major problems...don't buy a german car LOL

All kidding aside, I think you're expecting a little too much. The vehicle is going on 6 years old, mechanical components do wear and break, headlights burn out. I think the water pump and wheel bearings are certainly unusual, but to make the jump from those issues to its "not holding up" is a little bit of a leap. I mean...I had an Explorer that I had forked out $2,000 for a new transmission by 70,000 miles. I had a VW that needed an all new electrical system at 30k miles. THATS not holding up...

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-13-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 10:47 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through three transmissions on my 2007 Impala SS / 85,000 miles. Thank God they were covered under the GM 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty. And the last transmission was acting up, so I traded it. Mechanicals are not made as well as the past. Corporations always looking for the cheaper short cuts. They kept on replacing my transmission with rebuilt units. Their choice but the labor paid out to the dealer costs some $$.
Old 08-13-12, 10:54 AM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

Jkutti, as for my leather the edge of the drivers side is already worn away. It looks grey and should be black. Just one more thing i didnt mention in my original post. the leather should not wear like this.

SW10 I really dont think i am expecting too much at all. when you drop almost 40k for a car you expect it in todays age to reach 100k. Maybe your and many people's expectations are too low and that is why the build quality is what it is. More people need to be mad and let lexus know if there are issues.

I spend significantly less on two other toyotas that have never seen the inside of a shop and they are well beyond 100k. With a lexus shouldnt i expect a Better version of my other toyota's (because realistically that is all this lexus is right?) to hold up worse than those other two. I would expect them to be better right?
I mean dont get me wrong the car is nice and I love all the little gadgets and features that spoil me but in the end I want it to run, i cant do that with water pumps going out and wheel falling off hahahaha.

To sum up if reading for the first time

Lexus Es350 70k miles
Bad water pump,
Bad 02 Sensor,
Two bad Wheel Bearings,
Halogen headlamp out,
and leather worn from drivers seat.

I cant wait until i reach 100k
Old 08-13-12, 10:58 AM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

Garsarno, I also had an impala.
I kid you not it was the worst car I have ever owned in my life. It had problems from the start and never stopped giving me more. I basically just gave the car away it was so bad. i wouldn't have felt right selling it to someone. I will NEVER buy a GMC product ever again.

My father has a Chevy Trailblazer Same thing good thing he got the extended warranty because he is using every month haha.

My moms Cadillac. Same deal every month new issues Mostly electrical.

GMC should have died when the recession started. But nope out wonderful government stepped in and saved what I believe to be one of the worst companies in the world.
Old 08-13-12, 11:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH
Jkutti, as for my leather the edge of the drivers side is already worn away. It looks grey and should be black. Just one more thing i didnt mention in my original post. the leather should not wear like this.

SW10 I really dont think i am expecting too much at all. when you drop almost 40k for a car you expect it in todays age to reach 100k. Maybe your and many people's expectations are too low and that is why the build quality is what it is. More people need to be mad and let lexus know if there are issues.

I spend significantly less on two other toyotas that have never seen the inside of a shop and they are well beyond 100k. With a lexus shouldnt i expect a Better version of my other toyota's (because realistically that is all this lexus is right?) to hold up worse than those other two. I would expect them to be better right?
I mean dont get me wrong the car is nice and I love all the little gadgets and features that spoil me but in the end I want it to run, i cant do that with water pumps going out and wheel falling off hahahaha.

To sum up if reading for the first time

Lexus Es350 70k miles
Bad water pump,
Bad 02 Sensor,
Two bad Wheel Bearings,
Halogen headlamp out,
and leather worn from drivers seat.

I cant wait until i reach 100k
If the car (any make) starts to nickle and dime you, especially wth 70k+ miles on the odometer maybe it's time to get something else. I'd sure move on there are a lot of options out there..
Old 08-13-12, 11:20 AM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

Very true LEXBOB very true. When i see car companies like kia and Hyuandai making cars with all the same toys and features, much longer warranty's and significantly less money i start to wonder if it is time to give them a try.

Some higher end car owners care more about the logo on the front of their car than the reality of how well it holds up. I dont hahah.
Old 08-13-12, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Do you treat the leather? This is my 4th Lexus, second ES. 2003 ES has 165k miles, and the leather shows wear of course but nothing is "worn away". My 2010 has 37k miles and the leather is like new...and its parchment. Leather is a natural material and breaks down, especially if you don't care for it.

And it will reach 100k miles.

I spend significantly less on two other toyotas that have never seen the inside of a shop and they are well beyond 100k.
Then sell your Lexus and drive your Toyotas. I'm not sure what you want us to tell you...

Very true LEXBOB very true. When i see car companies like kia and Hyuandai making cars with all the same toys and features, much longer warranty's and significantly less money i start to wonder if it is time to give them a try.
Go for it. The resale value difference will cost you way more than the small repairs your Lexus has needed cost however. I think Hyundai is making great cars, better cars than Toyota overall right now I believe, but the resale is still a huge disparity.

Some higher end car owners care more about the logo on the front of their car than the reality of how well it holds up. I dont hahah
Yep, we're all just a bunch of brand obsessed idiots. As is everyone else who responds to independent dependability, quality and satisfaction surveys.

Your experience doesn't negate our experience. If you expect perfection, no failures...no signs of aging after 6 years...you're never going to be satisfied with any car.

GMC should have died when the recession started. But nope out wonderful government stepped in and saved what I believe to be one of the worst companies in the world.
Lot of bad history over the past 30 years I agree, but you should give some of their new products a look. Big improvement over the past. Hell...I have a Chrysler (Jeep), never thought that would happen.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-13-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:19 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

good info here, I have a 04 es, the only part I replaced was the alternator. 95000 miles, same struts, leather very good, wear on drivers side, minor. I had a 2002 Blazer, first day radiator leaked all over my driveway, brand new, dealer said its a lease, don't worry about it. 22000 miles trans. went. junk.
Old 08-13-12, 12:23 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My parents bought a 08 ES yesterday, I sure hope they don't have problems like these! I have a 98 GS400 that hasn't see 1/10th of the issues on these ES's in this thread. And I have 166k miles now. Suspension wear is the only issues the car has. But that is expected >140k too. But thankfully, very easy to work on in every aspect.
Old 08-13-12, 01:59 PM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

SW10 Ok, in response to some of your statements

No I dont treat my leather, so in all fairness maybe its my fault. (Although once again my other cars have never been treated and look great)

As far as the reaching 100k yes it will with a ton of repairs that is.

As far as selling the Lexus, i just might and I am not looking for you guys to tell me anything other than how well yours were holding up. It seems most people's are doing ok other than the lexus tech saying that water pumps are a known problem. So maybe I just had a run of bad luck and it will get better from here.

Resale value, I could care less. I drive a car until i am ready to get another one which is usually pretty old by then so resale does not out weight repair costs to me. Ok so i might get a few extra bucks when i sell it, if I sell it and dont give it to a family member.

I think my expectations are realistic and fair. I dont expect perfection but I dont expect this at this mid range stage of the cars life. Especially a car this. This isnt an impla but the problems are showing up like it is.

GMC will never get a dime from me again. I had such bad expereinces with them over the years from the cars to the service. At least at lexus i get reasonable service when I go in and people are reasonably polite.

I think my next car will be a hyundai genesis. Its worth a try.

I am glad you are having great experiences with your lexus i wish i was.
Old 08-13-12, 02:14 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

SW10 Ok, in response to some of your statements

No I dont treat my leather, so in all fairness maybe its my fault. (Although once again my other cars have never been treated and look great)

As far as the reaching 100k yes it will with a ton of repairs that is.

As far as selling the Lexus, i just might and I am not looking for you guys to tell me anything other than how well yours were holding up. It seems most people's are doing ok other than the lexus tech saying that water pumps are a known problem. So maybe I just had a run of bad luck and it will get better from here.

Resale value, I could care less. I drive a car until i am ready to get another one which is usually pretty old by then so resale does not out weight repair costs to me. Ok so i might get a few extra bucks when i sell it, if I sell it and dont give it to a family member.

I think my expectations are realistic and fair. I dont expect perfection but I dont expect this at this mid range stage of the cars life. Especially a car this. This isnt an impla but the problems are showing up like it is.

GMC will never get a dime from me again. I had such bad expereinces with them over the years from the cars to the service. At least at lexus i get reasonable service when I go in and people are reasonably polite.

I think my next car will be a hyundai genesis. Its worth a try.

I am glad you are having great experiences with your lexus i wish i was.
A Hyundai would be a good choice.Not a Sonata but a Genesis.
I just bought a new Elantra for my son.I also have read of dealer service warranty horror stories on the Elantra forums.
If true I would guess because when you have cheap cars with 5/60 warranty,Hyundai won't make it too easy with warranty repairs.
People always complain on car forums so those warranty horror stories may be exaggerated or very rare.I guess I'll find out.
Old 08-13-12, 02:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A Hyundai would be a good choice.Not a Sonata but a Genesis.
I just bought a new Elantra for my son.I also have read of dealer service warranty horror stories on the Elantra forums.
If true I would guess because when you have cheap cars with 5/60 warranty,Hyundai won't make it too easy with warranty repairs.
People always complain on car forums so those warranty horror stories may be exaggerated or very rare.I guess I'll find out.
You are correct, sir. You don't see posts where someone says I drove my car (ES350) today and nothing happened.

If you look at the long term reliablity information that's available, the ES350 ranks high. I read they've sold over 315k of the current gen car and you don't really see any widespread pattern of failures etc. Problems? Yes all cars them to one degree or another.
Old 08-13-12, 03:04 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems with your ES. I also have an 07 with about 60k. Had the oil hose, rear brakes replaced under warranty. Last year one fog lamp went out, had it replaced and then the same bulb went out 3 months later. Bummer, buts thats life. Overall I hope you are still enjoying your car. But if you can't there's no sin in trying something else. Once an awhile I look at a BMW 3 series forum, wow, try looking at the reliabilty of an 07. Not to mention the repair costs.

Quick Reply: How is Your lexus Holding Up? Mines not