Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 09:34 AM
lomarica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery recommendation

my 2007 battery has died.
I do note it has a 84 month warranty so it is about 2 years premature

Not sure if it is worth going to the dealer or not I assume any refund is prorated and the extra cost of the dealer would not make it up

We have our tires rotated at sears so I am thinking one of their batteries. any recommendations appreciated
Old 07-21-12, 11:01 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I probably would not go to Lexus for a new battery. And if it is an 84 month battery I don't even know if it is the OEM battery, never heard of an 84 mo. OEM battery , so maybe it was already replaced at some time and may have a warranty based on a date stamp. Lexus dealers do a great job on battery installation, quick and all settings saved.

Sears would be okay although I never liked dealing with them and they almost always want to do the whole electrical system check before replacing the obvious dead battery. In 50 years I've never had the problem be the charging system. I usually go to some place like Auto Zone or Checker just because they have a better chance of being open when the new battery gives out and are all over.

A side note - I once had a Mazda 929 and when I took it in for a dead battery they told me it would take a day or more because I didn't have an appointment - for a dead battery. That was the last Mazda.

Dave Mac
Old 07-21-12, 11:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I go with Interstate batteries.
Old 07-21-12, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

A battery is a battery, as long as you get something from a reputable brand (Sears Die Hard, Interstate, Auto Craft, etc) it'll be fine. I'd just get one at Sears and put it in myself.

The OEM Battery says "LEXUS" and it does say 84 months. I replaced the OEM battery in my old 2003 with an AutoCraft battery from Advance Auto Parts. The batteries were identical, exactly the same exterior, same covers, if you tore the labels off you'd never be able to tell the difference. I've been told there are only a couple battery manufacturers...
Old 07-21-12, 01:55 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my battery for my 04 ES at the dealer. Price was close to my local shops, Its a Interstate with the Lexus label. I was concerned with reprogramming everything, dealer said they swap them out fast and would reprogram if needed with no extra charge.
Old 07-21-12, 02:06 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A battery is a battery is not completely true...The 07 calls for a 24 or a 35...Either can be used...If my memory is correct, the 35 has more cold cranking amps than the 24...Both are rated 84 months with three years free replacement ....I just had my 07 battery replaced about four months ago..I chose the battery with the greater CCA....The original battery was 4 and a half years old....Sam's Club installed it FOC and they were able to hook in a power pack which saved all the memory settings..If a power pack is not used, then .the pinch protector for the windows might have to be reset, by taking off the door panel and going thru a procedure to reset the pinch protector...what a hassle...Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Anastasia (03-19-23)
Old 07-21-12, 02:28 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Unfortunately going through the replacement process as we speak. have ES2010 yr model..March purchase . Looks like battery is dead...38k miles...waiting on roadside assist to come and see if they can get a chg out of it...thought it would jump start with wife's vehicle..lights came on etc..but then just clicked when attempting to start. Anyway trying to get chg from it so maybe it will have some juice Monday morn to drive to Lexus. BTW they come with 4yr or 50k warranty from what Lexus dealer and Lexus Roadside says.
Old 07-21-12, 02:41 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Several years ago in perhaps another life I was in a battery wholesale's warehouse and he showed me shelves of unlabled batteries, all black, and a smaller shelf of labels. He said he carried two levels of batteries (cranking power) and that all were guaranted for 24 months. All he did was stick on the label before delivery with warranties of 24 mos. to life and the reseller charged whatever was necessary to cover his warranty. I think he said at the time there were just two or three actual battery manufacturers in the U.S., maybe less now. He supplied all of the Checkers, Auto Zones, O'Riely's etc. but not Sears which sold a white Die Hard at the time.

Dave Mac.
The following users liked this post:
Anastasia (03-19-23)
Old 07-21-12, 03:11 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the Interstate battery replacement on my old '07. Look for most CCA and warranty for the $$.
Old 07-21-12, 04:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by retired
A battery is a battery is not completely true...The 07 calls for a 24 or a 35...Either can be used...If my memory is correct, the 35 has more cold cranking amps than the 24..
Well, there are obviously differences in CCA, warranty and size, thats not what I was saying when I said "a battery is a battery", my point was that the battery you buy at the Lexus dealer isn't any higher quality than what you can buy from a myriad of other sources.

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Several years ago in perhaps another life I was in a battery wholesale's warehouse and he showed me shelves of unlabled batteries, all black, and a smaller shelf of labels. He said he carried two levels of batteries (cranking power) and that all were guaranted for 24 months. All he did was stick on the label before delivery with warranties of 24 mos. to life and the reseller charged whatever was necessary to cover his warranty. I think he said at the time there were just two or three actual battery manufacturers in the U.S., maybe less now. He supplied all of the Checkers, Auto Zones, O'Riely's etc. but not Sears which sold a white Die Hard at the time.
Yep...exactly what I have heard. Makes sense with my experience that the Lexus battery was the same physical battery as the AutoCraft battery I had bought, I've also been told that the Lexus battery is a Panasonic battery...which is obviously also the same battery.
Old 07-21-12, 05:52 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Well, there are obviously differences in CCA, warranty and size, thats not what I was saying when I said "a battery is a battery", my point was that the battery you buy at the Lexus dealer isn't any higher quality than what you can buy from a myriad of other sources.

Yep...exactly what I have heard. Makes sense with my experience that the Lexus battery was the same physical battery as the AutoCraft battery I had bought, I've also been told that the Lexus battery is a Panasonic battery...which is obviously also the same battery.
SW......... Great response....just wanted the original poster to recognize that all batteries are not created equal....Glad that we are in agreement....As with anything that you are buying, the purchaser should do their homework prior to purchase..Just because an item cost more, does not guarantee that it is better........HAVE A GREAT DAY
Old 07-23-12, 11:50 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Costco Wholesale
Old 07-25-12, 09:45 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I've also been told that the Lexus battery is a Panasonic battery...which is obviously also the same battery.
Yep, Panasonic. The one in my ES300 lasted an unbelievable 8 years. Got 6 on this one...but this car has more electronics than that one did.

Glad I opened this thread to read about the importance of keeping temporary juice to the car while changing out batteries.
Old 07-29-12, 11:52 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace my battery on my 09 a few months back. It certainly didn't make the 84 month term. However, since I was still under warranty, Lexus just replaced it with another '84 month' battery, but it was free so I'm not complaining. If I had my choice I would go with AC Delco or Sears Diehard. First choice would be the AC Delco.
Old 07-30-12, 05:44 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Free = great!

Quick Reply: battery recommendation