ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Thoughts from a Very Satisfied 2007 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 09:49 AM
calmondo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts from a Very Satisfied 2007 Owner

I purchased a 2007 ES350 in July 2006 and it has been the best automobile I have ever owned, and I have had plenty. I obtained a California Driver’s License in 1945 at age 14. It was called a Juniors Operator Permit; for use when going from school or work or on business of parent or guardian. That availability was discontinued many years ago, probably for good reason. I enjoy driving with a passion, cross country trips are a favorite.

I have been an active reader of the Forum and read with interest the problems related to the 2007 model: transmission slippage, cold weather engine noise, dash board rattles, wind noise, etc. I, fortunately, experienced none of these. Numerous Forum posts relate to “what octane fuel to you use?” Answers were varied, with a few owners saying, “If you can afford a luxury car, you can afford the premium fuel”. I have 67,000 miles on my 2007, all on 87 octane; and get around 33 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. I call that outstanding. Maybe my engine is producing a few less horsepower, but there’s plenty there for what I need. And, by the way, I could afford the premium fuel.

A continuing Forum remark is, “The ES is just an expensive Camry”, i.e. a foolish waste of money; I don’t think so. But if that is what you believe, then don’t purchase a Lexus and complain about those who do; buy a Camry, and go on the Camry Forum to announce what a wise decision you made. Another complaint is the ES isn’t sporty like a BMW. If I want “sporty”, I’d pick another model in the Lexus line or buy a sporty BMW. The elegant, quiet comfort of the ES is just what I enjoy.

Now in conclusion, I am getting a serious case of “new car itch”. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 2007, but I’ve got the “itch”. I’m sure I’m not the only person that has been affected by the “itch”. The cure is easy; in a few months I will be the proud owner of a 2013 ES 350. And the pleasure of my 2007 will live on in the hands of some future owner. I don’t need to hear the warnings not to buy a car in the first year of a revision, as in 2007. The engine and power train will be unchanged from the ES of recent years, and the Camry naysayers will have to change their tune; maybe they will use the word Avalon. Thank you for your understanding.
Old 07-06-12, 12:28 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2007 was okay in it's 5 years of ownership (once the transmission was replaced at 1,000 miles from new) and the ticking still wore on. Got the itch when Lexus sent the teaser about low finance rate and extra rebate for being a Lexus owner. That's what prompted us to go for the leftover 2011 in 10/2011.
Old 07-06-12, 06:55 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't agree more. Bought mine in August 2006 and, while I have had a couple of issues, it has been everything I hoped.

Pete
Old 07-07-12, 03:54 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP: Great review and insight. It's always good to hear positive comments instead of negative. If I want to hear negative, I'll turn on the news.

I loved my 2007, as well. While I did have a few issues associated with first-year production, they were issues that were easily remedied. I loved my 2007 so much, I purchased the highly refined 2012 model after seeing the early pics of the 2013, and haven't looked back. Now, my 2012 is the best car I've ever owned and I expect that trend to continue with my next Lexus purchase.
Old 07-07-12, 10:39 AM
RTSM
Driver

Calmondo, I completely agree with your assessment of the ES. A very good value for your money and a lot of luxury as well. I drove the Camry when comparing the ES and while they may be based on the same platforms the changes in final assembly and components between the two make them different cars at the end. I drove the MB, BMW and Inifinity as well and all are nice cars and did not think I would end up with a less powerful ES (UL w/ ML) but I did as I found myself most pleased with the quality of the leather and overall fit and finish and I saved $10k over the others.
I too am interested in the 13' ES, as far as issues go with new model lines I am ok taking the risk because I know that Lexus will take care of me.
Old 07-07-12, 01:28 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Nice, realizable car. The only problem it makes me feel old. I need something more sporty
Old 07-07-12, 02:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
Nice, realizable car. The only problem it makes me feel old. I need something more sporty
If you want to feel young and sporty, the ES is definitely NOT the car for you.
Old 07-07-12, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Interestingly though, my 350 is just a little bit sportier than my 2003 ES300 was. Not much, but just enough that its a little more fun to drive around.

I really like these cars, and for the money they are SO much car. This is my second one, and before that my Dad drove LS's, he had a 98 and a 2004, both with the air suspensions. So, my introduction to Lexus was with the LS, and my plan was in 2003 to get a 2000 CPO LS, and when I got my 2010 I again really considered a 2006 LS or 2007 LS CPO. Having never bought a used car though and not really being thrilled at the prospect, wanting to lease and after really exhaustively driving them back and forth I decided that the ES really is about 75% as much car as the LS, for half the money. People think my ES is a far more expensive car than it is all the time...

My lease is up next year, and I've been driving some things lately, I drove an A6, 535, E350, and a new GS. Even when getting out of vehicles $20-25,000 more, the ES still looks great, rides great, its so refined...its really remarkable. You really do get a mid-class car for an entry-class price with these cars.

I'm sure I'll do the dance again, think about spending more, think about getting a 2010 LS CPO...and wind up in a 2013 ES again...
Old 07-07-12, 02:50 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

GS is more sporty. I like ES comfort and noise reduction. Its reliability is good too, but if I want to step on it or take sharp turns, its not the best. well, there is pros and cons, cars that do well on sharp turns or accelerations are usually more bumpy to drive. its a matter of taste I guess.
Old 07-07-12, 03:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Interestingly though, my 350 is just a little bit sportier than my 2003 ES300 was. Not much, but just enough that its a little more fun to drive around.

I really like these cars, and for the money they are SO much car. This is my second one, and before that my Dad drove LS's, he had a 98 and a 2004, both with the air suspensions. So, my introduction to Lexus was with the LS, and my plan was in 2003 to get a 2000 CPO LS, and when I got my 2010 I again really considered a 2006 LS or 2007 LS CPO. Having never bought a used car though and not really being thrilled at the prospect, wanting to lease and after really exhaustively driving them back and forth I decided that the ES really is about 75% as much car as the LS, for half the money. People think my ES is a far more expensive car than it is all the time...

My lease is up next year, and I've been driving some things lately, I drove an A6, 535, E350, and a new GS. Even when getting out of vehicles $20-25,000 more, the ES still looks great, rides great, its so refined...its really remarkable. You really do get a mid-class car for an entry-class price with these cars.

I'm sure I'll do the dance again, think about spending more, think about getting a 2010 LS CPO...and wind up in a 2013 ES again...
I had a similar experience when I was looking for a replacement for my 2007 ES350. I cross shopped several cars and CUV's really wanting something different. But in the end I opted for the 2010 ES that just receieved the mid-cycle refresh and am very satisfied with my decision. I don't have the itch yet for the 2013, I need to see it in person, but who knows I may end up with another ES. It wouldn't be a bad thing at all I'm sure.
Old 07-10-12, 01:10 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by calmondo
I purchased a 2007 ES350 in July 2006 and it has been the best automobile I have ever owned, and I have had plenty. I obtained a California Driver’s License in 1945 at age 14. It was called a Juniors Operator Permit; for use when going from school or work or on business of parent or guardian. That availability was discontinued many years ago, probably for good reason. I enjoy driving with a passion, cross country trips are a favorite.

I have been an active reader of the Forum and read with interest the problems related to the 2007 model: transmission slippage, cold weather engine noise, dash board rattles, wind noise, etc. I, fortunately, experienced none of these. Numerous Forum posts relate to “what octane fuel to you use?” Answers were varied, with a few owners saying, “If you can afford a luxury car, you can afford the premium fuel”. I have 67,000 miles on my 2007, all on 87 octane; and get around 33 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. I call that outstanding. Maybe my engine is producing a few less horsepower, but there’s plenty there for what I need. And, by the way, I could afford the premium fuel.

A continuing Forum remark is, “The ES is just an expensive Camry”, i.e. a foolish waste of money; I don’t think so. But if that is what you believe, then don’t purchase a Lexus and complain about those who do; buy a Camry, and go on the Camry Forum to announce what a wise decision you made. Another complaint is the ES isn’t sporty like a BMW. If I want “sporty”, I’d pick another model in the Lexus line or buy a sporty BMW. The elegant, quiet comfort of the ES is just what I enjoy.

Now in conclusion, I am getting a serious case of “new car itch”. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 2007, but I’ve got the “itch”. I’m sure I’m not the only person that has been affected by the “itch”. The cure is easy; in a few months I will be the proud owner of a 2013 ES 350. And the pleasure of my 2007 will live on in the hands of some future owner. I don’t need to hear the warnings not to buy a car in the first year of a revision, as in 2007. The engine and power train will be unchanged from the ES of recent years, and the Camry naysayers will have to change their tune; maybe they will use the word Avalon. Thank you for your understanding.
Well written, my sentiments are same, I have been very happy with my 2007 and will be keeping it for another year. Congratulations on your 2013 ES and let us know how it compares.
Old 07-12-12, 06:13 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate your comments and insight...However, I do have serious concerns with the long term reliabilty of the 07 es350 plus I only get 26.7 mph combined city/highway driving using 89 octane..I guess I will begin to use 87 octane....I usually keep an auto over twenty years, however I plan to get rid of this auto in the next two years...It is great when someone can replace a car within five years and not have to worry about the out of warranty problems. ..I have an 01 LX 470 that is twice the car compared to the es 350...I believe my next new car will be a Mercedes......

Last edited by retired; 07-12-12 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-12-12, 09:54 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RTSM
Calmondo, I completely agree with your assessment of the ES. A very good value for your money and a lot of luxury as well. I drove the Camry when comparing the ES and while they may be based on the same platforms the changes in final assembly and components between the two make them different cars at the end. I drove the MB, BMW and Inifinity as well and all are nice cars and did not think I would end up with a less powerful ES (UL w/ ML) but I did as I found myself most pleased with the quality of the leather and overall fit and finish and I saved $10k over the others.
I too am interested in the 13' ES, as far as issues go with new model lines I am ok taking the risk because I know that Lexus will take care of me.
I work in car rental and you might be interested to know that, although the ES is based on the same platform as the Camry, they are very, very different to drive and sit in. I drive the new Camry regularly, and I have been very unimpressed by the declining quality of the interior materials (as well as that strange, 2-piece floor carpet thing they're doing).

The Camry is still a competently designed and built car, and drives well, but it's...well...boring. And Toyota needs to get its act together and stop making the interior feel like a Kia before they lose their market share.

The ES is just a nicer car in every way. High quality interior, excellent fit and finish, better looking IMO, and is actually fun to drive.

Last edited by RalAegidius; 07-12-12 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I spell gooderly
Old 07-14-12, 04:31 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read this again and feel like commenting.

Mine was one of the first to arrive at my dealership back in may of '06. Still love driving it. I had 10 years of trouble free driving on my ES300. Undecided on whether I will go for it with this car, but I WILL let you guys tell us about the new ES.
Old 07-23-12, 05:18 PM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting discussion - - I drive an `07 ES350 . . . much better than wife's `05 ES330 that she traded on a brand new Camry XLE. The Camry is nice-- I rent them often, but it doesn't hold a candle IMO to my "old" ES.

I just hit 50k miles and completed a 750 mi trip at 29.7 mpg on 89 octane. I'd considered a 2012 compared to a `13 because I'm just not a fan of the new front facia.

Guess I've just about convinced myself to keep this one for awhile longer . .

CQRT in AZ

Quick Reply: Thoughts from a Very Satisfied 2007 Owner