Print Wikipost

sticky melting dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 06:27 AM
bfirmin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky dash

My 2007 ES 350 had a sticky dash from the hot sun exposure and I had to pay to replace it. Lexus covered the dash, but I had to pay for labor.
Old 03-17-14, 06:28 AM
bfirmin
Driver School Candidate

Default ES sticky dash

My 2007 ES 350 had the sticky dash and I had to replace it last month. It does happen to the ES models and they have since replaced the dash with a more leather material.
Old 03-20-14, 07:56 AM
maximus54
Driver

My father is looking to trade in his '07 ES350 w/ 95k miles, and he has the melting dash. Lexus agreed to pay half the replacement cost, so it would cost us $900 to replace the dash. Considering he will probably trade it in do you think it would increase the value more than the $900 it would cost us? Thanks!
Old 03-20-14, 09:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by maximus54
My father is looking to trade in his '07 ES350 w/ 95k miles, and he has the melting dash. Lexus agreed to pay half the replacement cost, so it would cost us $900 to replace the dash. Considering he will probably trade it in do you think it would increase the value more than the $900 it would cost us? Thanks!

With 95k on the car, and not knowing the overall condition of the rest of it, it's hard to tell. If he traded it into a dealer they could replace the dash at a lower cost than you guys so maybe it's best just to expect to get a little less on the car because of the dash.

If he has a replacement car in mind he could get the '07 appraised by the dealer and find out what they'll offer with and without the dash replaced. To get the sale quickly they might move a bit on the trade in price and you guys wouldn't have to bother with the replacement.
Old 06-09-14, 02:25 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If I had not seen and felt it for myself, I would have been inclined not to believe it. I experienced it firsthand today... And I must say it's nasty. Lexus should really step up and recall those cars with that problem. I know it's an 07+ but it's plain to see that it's a safety issue, not to mention that it also stinks and is an eye sore. A friend of mine just purchased an 07. I'm surprised he bought the car knowing that there was a problem with the dash. But yes, the sticky dash does exist...
Old 08-29-14, 06:26 PM
Victornw
Driver School Candidate

Default Es 350 dashboard problem

Thread, i also have the same problem you have on my 2007 ES 350 the dashboard is shiny and sticky as well as melting. i took it in to Lexus service who Juan the service guy informed me for this to happen i had to of used tire shine on it. i informed him i used dashaway to clean the dash. He then informed me that this only happens on the is model and he never heard of it happening on any other models. i looked online and found out that it happens on the is,RX and yes even the ES 350. Not satisfy will see manager tomorrow if not satisfy will go to news then Clark Howard and the bbb.
Old 08-29-14, 08:16 PM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reading the last few pages of this thread, is this still primarily happening to 2007/2008 models?
Someone stated in an earlier post that they changed the composition of the dash, what year did they implement the change? Is it known?

And what should we be using to clean/protect the dash? Any good suggestions?
Old 08-30-14, 07:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GrnIdKjun
In reading the last few pages of this thread, is this still primarily happening to 2007/2008 models?
Someone stated in an earlier post that they changed the composition of the dash, what year did they implement the change? Is it known?

On both of my ES350's I used either a very slightly damp cloth or Meguires Quick Detailer (which works great). No issues using either method. The material on the dash shows very little, if any, dust and I didn't want to add a shine.
Old 08-30-14, 10:21 PM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!
Old 08-31-14, 11:30 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GrnIdKjun

It looks like there was a class action lawsuit filed by two owners ...think it was earlier
this month. Anyone seen anything about that?
Old 09-06-14, 10:48 PM
babowc
Driver

I would like to join in on that class action as well.
My mother's 07' ES350 has been in our possession the entire time, although we cleaned the dash with microfiber, we did not apply any sort of chemical on it (protectant or not).

Our dash is a MESS. It has a shimmer/shine on it and anything that lands on it is basically stuck unless we pick it off.

What's going on with that class action? Lexus must be aware of this by now...
Old 09-24-14, 01:51 AM
Fahd
Driver School Candidate

Default Help

I have same problem. What should I do to get this away
Old 10-24-14, 03:02 PM
cj3600
Driver School Candidate

Default i got es350 2007 same thing its horrible

Originally Posted by kdyork60
I just purchased a 2008 ES350 a couple of months ago. When I bought it, it had a sticky part above the instrument panel the salesman ( used car dealer- Toyota Mall of Georgia) said they would clean it up. Turns out it is not just sticky, the whole dash top when it sits in the sun starts breaking down. The dash is a foam, cushy material but I have found hundreds of threads on 2002 IS with the exact problem, but not so many o n th ES. Does anyone else have this problem with their dash? I know it is breaking down due to heat, and it ends up "shining" giving a reflection in the window that is distracting and unsafe. I anticipate pursuing Lexus further as they claiim they have never heard of the problem. Toyota dealer says there is a "paint" they can use to fix it.... I don't like this fix. I think this is a Lexus problem, and I will get this fixed. For a $30K used car, I drive a lot and driving in GA or the south for hours, I can't put a window reflector up- nor should I have to. It's a LEXUS??? Help?? Speak up if you have this problem. Again, ES350, not an IS with melting/sticky dash - unacceptable in my opinion and Lexus does not help.
I bought the car in December 2006. the car had 11 miles on it. I NEVER put anything on the dash and slowly year after year it started getting sticky and stickier. I don't k now why this happened all I can think of is when I had it detailed maybe they put something on it and it took years to soak in
Old 10-26-14, 07:36 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I just sent a email to the lawfirm here in South Florida that is handling the case lawsuite against lexus trying to get it to be a class action
asking to join in.
i just realized now that the accident i had last year due to the glare of the son and dashboard glare into my face that blinded me for a moment last year in august causing me to get into the really bad accident i did
and then a month latter the dealership agreed and replaced the dash board at full cost for free i wonder if maybe that was lexus trying to avoid possible lawsuits against them perhaps they knew they might be liable for product defect and that.
Old 10-26-14, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i just realized now that the accident i had last year due to the glare of the son and dashboard glare into my face that blinded me for a moment last year in august causing me to get into the really bad accident
Really? You just now realized what caused your accident last year?

Quick Reply: sticky melting dash