Print Wikipost

sticky melting dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 07:26 AM
Skowalski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdyork60
I just purchased a 2008 ES350 a couple of months ago. When I bought it, it had a sticky part above the instrument panel the salesman ( used car dealer- Toyota Mall of Georgia) said they would clean it up. Turns out it is not just sticky, the whole dash top when it sits in the sun starts breaking down. The dash is a foam, cushy material but I have found hundreds of threads on 2002 IS with the exact problem, but not so many o n th ES. Does anyone else have this problem with their dash? I know it is breaking down due to heat, and it ends up "shining" giving a reflection in the window that is distracting and unsafe. I anticipate pursuing Lexus further as they claiim they have never heard of the problem. Toyota dealer says there is a "paint" they can use to fix it.... I don't like this fix. I think this is a Lexus problem, and I will get this fixed. For a $30K used car, I drive a lot and driving in GA or the south for hours, I can't put a window reflector up- nor should I have to. It's a LEXUS??? Help?? Speak up if you have this problem. Again, ES350, not an IS with melting/sticky dash - unacceptable in my opinion and Lexus does not help.
I have 2007 ES350 - What you noticed is the same with my car. Since i bought it, I just wipe it with soft cloth and have it detailed clean interior one time. I noticed a sticky, shiny residue (thought at first) and when I ran my finger, the dashboard texture changed. I think it is melting. I used cotton cloth that would stick....I leave it that way. I was so frustrated, and thinking of bringing to Lexus dealer. I will have them solve this.
Old 10-14-13, 12:15 PM
romuald
Driver School Candidate

My 2008 ES350 also has a sticky dash. Whatever is leeching out is so shiny, the glare is a real safety issue for my wife. Our service writer at Lexus of New Orleans said, after he submitted photos, that it is the eco-friendly materials that are used in this car. Since it is out of warranty, they would replace the dashboard, eat the cost of the part, but my labor would be $1000. Lexus corporate said to speak to service manager to see if he would cut me a deal, but he is out of town for a week. If they know about this 'defect', you think they would recall or issue a TSB
Old 10-14-13, 01:22 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd think 800-1000 for labor not bad considering its what a 10 hour job to remove and reinstall it

I just had issues with mine after some major work it was damaged when the dash was removed for other reasons lexus paid for half and the dealer paid the other half
Old 10-14-13, 01:53 PM
tonys958
Driver School Candidate

Default sticky dashboard 2007 ES350 50K miles

My dashboard has a sticky shiny surface when its out in the sun too long. This car has spent most of the time in covered parking space. When its left out in the sun for a few hours it seems like its rotting off. Not what you would expect from a Lexus. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 10-14-13, 02:24 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by tonys958
My dashboard has a sticky shiny surface when its out in the sun too long. This car has spent most of the time in covered parking space. When its left out in the sun for a few hours it seems like its rotting off. Not what you would expect from a Lexus. Any ideas on how to fix this?
no way to fix it from what i understand
they have fixed the issue with the new replacement dashes they are making atleast this is what lexus says

but no way to fix it with a dash that has it other then replace the dash
you can try to prevent it by using a sunshade i guess or just try to always park in the shade
Old 10-15-13, 10:12 AM
dtesney
Driver School Candidate

Default Sticky Dash

I have a 2008 ES350 that I purchased in Jan. 2013 and when the weather was cold.
Hot weather arrived and I have a big sticky spot above the instrument panel. It
reflects light off the spot onto the windshield and creates a blind spot. I am really
disappointed in the Lexus build quality as I thought it was world class. Live and
learn.
Old 10-18-13, 01:51 AM
VeVe13
Driver School Candidate

2007 RX350 bought new - I have just begun having the dash problem. Have a crack over passenger side airbag and another on driver's side near windshield. My car has been garaged, has close to 25,000 miles on it. It does not sit in the sun unless I go somewhere to shop. I am getting ready to pursue this with my Lexus dealer.
Old 10-22-13, 11:07 AM
agustin
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 ES 350, purchased used in 2011 and the tip of the dash behind the steering wheel ihas been "chipped". I noticed the damage after driving one day and raising the steering Wheel to exit the car. It looks like the sun has "eaten" into the rim/lip of the dash.
Old 10-28-13, 05:38 PM
romuald
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by romuald
My 2008 ES350 also has a sticky dash. Whatever is leeching out is so shiny, the glare is a real safety issue for my wife. Our service writer at Lexus of New Orleans said, after he submitted photos, that it is the eco-friendly materials that are used in this car. Since it is out of warranty, they would replace the dashboard, eat the cost of the part, but my labor would be $1000. Lexus corporate said to speak to service manager to see if he would cut me a deal, but he is out of town for a week. If they know about this 'defect', you think they would recall or issue a TSB
After his vacation, the service manager called to say that he would contact 'corporate' to see what help they would be then get back with us. He then called back to say that they were no help but he would cover the entire cost of the replacement dashboard at the dealer level. Thank you, Sean. Thank you Lexus of New Orleans.

We just got email today that the part is in. Now, just have to schedule.
Old 11-13-13, 01:28 PM
bfirmin
Driver School Candidate

I have the sticky, melting dash on my ES350. Lexus says they will not cover it, even though they are aware of the problem in IS models. After reading many threads on here, its mostly in hot climates. The newer models have a different material for the dash board. Seems they know the problem, but are trying to hide it. Anyone have any suggestions for a fix?
Old 11-13-13, 09:10 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

What the Body Shop Manager at the dealer told me is that there Supplier that makes the dashes that they call sticky dashes has changed the material or the recipe so to speek of how they make the dash so they claim its not a issue on the new replacment dashes but
the dealer also told me it is usualy 5 to 6 years when they see one starting to fall apart or damage
so won't know if its true for about that time frame

i would go to another lexus dealer have them try to contact Lexus about it because they do know its a issue and they replaced a few of ours i know mine they did
Old 11-17-13, 07:35 AM
romuald
Driver School Candidate

Just got our new dash this week. They did a nice job, and at no cost to me (even though we're out of warranty) Thank you again, Shawn Sevier, service mgr at Lexus of New Orleans.
Old 11-17-13, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

This is one of those times when having done all your service at the dealer and building a relationship with them pays off. When you just walk in off the street and the dealer has never seen you and you say "Hey, I want you to get Lexus to pay for this dashboard out of warranty"...its tough. But when they know they see you every 5k miles, and would like to keep on seeing you its easier.
Old 11-17-13, 02:13 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is one of those times when having done all your service at the dealer and building a relationship with them pays off. When you just walk in off the street and the dealer has never seen you and you say "Hey, I want you to get Lexus to pay for this dashboard out of warranty"...its tough. But when they know they see you every 5k miles, and would like to keep on seeing you its easier.

yeah very true

originaly when The Body Shop Manager contacted Lexus to have them Replace my dash
they had only agreed to pay 1/4 because i was the 3rd owner of the vehicle
then when they saw that i am in for service every 5k no matter what and thats like every 2 months for me they agreed to pay half
Then the Dealership took into account that
I just gave them 16k in Business with the Insurance work
so they agreed to pay the other half considering
that the dash was not damaged before they started the job and that there was the possibility that it was damaged by there tech and also just these dashes being hard to do anything to without them falling apart once they get to age and weather wear

This is exactly why
yes i could go to Tire Kingdom or firestone and pay 19-22 dollars for a oil change but id rather go to the dealer they also match other dealer coupons for me on oil changes cause the lexus dealer near my school only charges 34.99 on coupons for oil change and the one near my house where i go charged 59.99
so they take the 34.99 coupon

when i had my fluids changed yeah i could have gone to a independent shop and paid 80 bucks for a coolant exchange or 99 for a ps fluid excahnge
the dealer cost more but i knew that it would look out for me if i ever did need something
and from what i know
Lexus is the only one that does stuff like they do for us owners out of warranty no one els does it from my understanding

With Lexus it's all about Loyalty
Old 03-13-14, 07:32 PM
Jolivera
Driver School Candidate

Default Sticky dashboard

I'm the original owner of my 2007 ES350 and I live in Florida, and I've had the melting issue for over a year now. It's extremely dangerous with the glare that it causes on the windshield, and now that I found this forum, I can't believe this has not become a legal issue against Lexus. I guess we have to wait till there are a few accidents caused by the glare before Lexus does something about it.....

Quick Reply: sticky melting dash