Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 (2007 - 2012)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

sticky melting dash

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-12, 03:03 PM   #61
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
SW13GS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 7,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiujai86 View Post
Now I've owned this car since New. I used armor all. AMD the car wash uses lexol
I would never use either product on a dashboard

1. Armor All: Armor all has often been linked to melting or cracking dashboards. Now, it is a water based protectant now, and SHOULD be safe, but there are a lot of complaints.

2. Lexol is not a vinyl cleaner or protectant, its for leather. Its going to depsot oils and such on the vinyl dash material that are not designed for that type of material.

I don't put ANYTHING on dashboards.

Nothing wrong with using MF towels on leather, I've done so for years.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-12, 05:41 PM   #62
retired
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: al
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW10ES View Post
I would never use either product on a dashboard

1. Armor All: Armor all has often been linked to melting or cracking dashboards. Now, it is a water based protectant now, and SHOULD be safe, but there are a lot of complaints.

2. Lexol is not a vinyl cleaner or protectant, its for leather. Its going to depsot oils and such on the vinyl dash material that are not designed for that type of material.

I don't put ANYTHING on dashboards.

Nothing wrong with using MF towels on leather, I've done so for years.
I agree.... I dont use anything on the dash except water on a soft cloth...I believe that the heat from the dash instrument cluster can make the vinyl sticky..The armorall breaks down the vinyl due to the heat....This is just my opinion, but supported by the fact that only the area above the cluster becomes sticky..........
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-12, 03:32 PM   #63
Road Rage
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 110
Default

Over the past couple weeks I've seen a few come in with this exact same problem. None of us in the shop can make sense of it. The only conditions that we confirmed were the same in every case are: all were purchased used and all came from Florida. We're thinking it could be heat plus the "eco-friendly" material used but just a guess at this point. ES and IS are what we've seen so far.
__________________
Senior Lexus Technician
Road Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 12:03 PM   #64
Murasumi
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Default

I have been also having this problem. the sticky problem is only on top of the driver's dash, not the passenger. Yiujai86 have you found out wat the problem was?
Murasumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 08:43 PM   #65
bhuminpate
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdyork60 View Post
I just purchased a 2008 ES350 a couple of months ago. When I bought it, it had a sticky part above the instrument panel the salesman ( used car dealer- Toyota Mall of Georgia) said they would clean it up. Turns out it is not just sticky, the whole dash top when it sits in the sun starts breaking down. The dash is a foam, cushy material but I have found hundreds of threads on 2002 IS with the exact problem, but not so many o n th ES. Does anyone else have this problem with their dash? I know it is breaking down due to heat, and it ends up "shining" giving a reflection in the window that is distracting and unsafe. I anticipate pursuing Lexus further as they claiim they have never heard of the problem. Toyota dealer says there is a "paint" they can use to fix it.... I don't like this fix. I think this is a Lexus problem, and I will get this fixed. For a $30K used car, I drive a lot and driving in GA or the south for hours, I can't put a window reflector up- nor should I have to. It's a LEXUS??? Help?? Speak up if you have this problem. Again, ES350, not an IS with melting/sticky dash - unacceptable in my opinion and Lexus does not help.
I am having same proble on my es-350 2007, called lexus corporation but no one want to fix this, cost is arroung 16-1700 $ .. i cannot believe lexus can sell such a cheap product... i will never ever buy lexus again.
bhuminpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 08:54 PM   #66
bhuminpate
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 2
Thumbs down melted dashboard and trunk switch

I cannot believe luxary car like lexus will have issue like this... i bought 2007 ES 350 and my dashboard and trunk switch has melted, sticky ... i took it to dealer from where i bought but its outside warranty, they told me they can cover 50 % of cost which was arround 1600-1700
$ .. my point is why do u make infferior product, I was plannning on buying another lexus before but not now... i lost faith in lexus, will not recommend to anyone... I am not in favor when company dont stand behind their own product. ... made in china products .... I am going for Mercedes m-class now. I wish I would have known this many people with similar problem.
bhuminpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 03:33 PM   #67
mlacomb
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OH
Posts: 302
Default

I understand your frustration, but seriously? Made in china? Ok, go buy your mercedes.
mlacomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 06:26 AM   #68
StickyNM
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Default

It's not about the car you drive but rather the temp, dirt and wrong protectant used. Sometimes it is due to the products produce by the manufacturers. I got this sticky dashboard problems also. before and after.
Attached Images
 
StickyNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 07:22 AM   #69
unklexus
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 60
Default

To summarize:

Top Five reasons for dash surface problems
1) The sun
2) The sun
3) The sun
4) Inappropriate solution applied to dash
5) Factory defect
unklexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 04:24 AM   #70
StickyNM
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Default

Sticky melting condition can happen any where and on any cars. Are you facing the same sticky condition as the one in the youtude, fixing sticky/melting dashboard.
StickyNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-13, 08:41 PM   #71
TLPG
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 1
Default 2007 ES 350 with sticky dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdyork60 View Post
I just purchased a 2008 ES350 a couple of months ago. When I bought it, it had a sticky part above the instrument panel the salesman ( used car dealer- Toyota Mall of Georgia) said they would clean it up. Turns out it is not just sticky, the whole dash top when it sits in the sun starts breaking down. The dash is a foam, cushy material but I have found hundreds of threads on 2002 IS with the exact problem, but not so many o n th ES. Does anyone else have this problem with their dash? I know it is breaking down due to heat, and it ends up "shining" giving a reflection in the window that is distracting and unsafe. I anticipate pursuing Lexus further as they claiim they have never heard of the problem. Toyota dealer says there is a "paint" they can use to fix it.... I don't like this fix. I think this is a Lexus problem, and I will get this fixed. For a $30K used car, I drive a lot and driving in GA or the south for hours, I can't put a window reflector up- nor should I have to. It's a LEXUS??? Help?? Speak up if you have this problem. Again, ES350, not an IS with melting/sticky dash - unacceptable in my opinion and Lexus does not help.
Yes!! I have this identical problem on my 2007 ES 350. Did Lexus take care of yours?
TLPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 05:58 AM   #72
riles3019
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fl
Posts: 22
Default

I bought a used '07 CPO about two years ago. I thought I could get the car home and detail or treat the sticky dash problem somehow. It really was a mess and NOTHING would get the defect out. As I researched this defect, it has been a KNOWN defect by Lexus in hot climate states [Fla,Arizona Cali,Ga,etc] where people park outside all day. If you'll notice, the folks who have this problem, parked their car outside all day and live in Southern climes. My car is a CPO car and I am a three-time Lexus owner. My service tech wanted to paint the dash, but I insisted on talking with the sverice manager and the whole dash was replced, n/c.

Read more: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es35...#ixzz2X86Vyyd7
riles3019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 09:55 PM   #73
dbcolli
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fl
Posts: 48
Default I have Sticky dash also

My 07 is at the Lexus dealer now. The dash is sticky and gummy only above the steering wheel. The service tech said maybe Lexus will make a goodwill gesture, and has heard of this happening in certain states. I'm positive the damage is from the hot Fl sun because the car sat and not moved for over a year where I bought it two years ago at an independent dealer in Tampa...

Don
dbcolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 03:27 PM   #74
dbcolli
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fl
Posts: 48
Default Sticky dash

I received a call from the Lexus dealer and was told Lexus would cover 25% of the $1500, I told them thanks but no thanks.. I will learn to live with it for now. I hoped having told the dealer that I own two Lexus would help my case but did not.
dbcolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 03:41 PM   #75
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
SW13GS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 7,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcolli View Post
I received a call from the Lexus dealer and was told Lexus would cover 25% of the $1500, I told them thanks but no thanks.. I will learn to live with it for now. I hoped having told the dealer that I own two Lexus would help my case but did not.
I mean...the car did sit unmoved and unprotected in the FL sun for a year by your own admission. Thats a pretty severe weathering scenario...I think Lexus' offer to cover 25% was pretty generous given that and the vehicles age, and you not being the original owner.
__________________

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 03:41 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2IS sticky/melting dash/upper door trim teaguedp90 Northern California Lexus Club 2 03-24-14 11:02 PM
Sticky dash emosley Automotive Care & Detailing 7 10-07-13 07:44 PM
Melting dash and doors TSIB Alex350 IS - Second Generation 20 11-09-12 10:52 AM
dash melting Shervin350 IS - Second Generation 11 08-13-12 12:00 PM
Thinking about leather wrapping my dash and doing blue stitching Marexus IS - Second Generation 9 02-15-11 05:05 PM


Tags
2007, 350, dash, dashboard, es350, extremely, forum, heat, interior, lexus, melt, melting, recall, sticky, syndrome, top

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info