Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 (2007 - 2012)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

sticky melting dash

Old 06-24-12, 01:15 PM   #16
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

As others here have mentioned, with no TSB or even a mention of the problem here on CL, it seems like the OP may be out of luck on this. It would be nice if Lexus offered some help, but without much history on the problem probably doubtful.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
LexBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 01:12 AM   #17
LexPaul
Lead Lap

We don't know what kind of cleaner or glossing agent the previous owner(s) used on the dash, (or maybe even Toyota for that matter) but I strongly suspect that a strong cleaner or solution was used that caused this problem to occur. It appears to be causing a kind of decomposition of the dash. I'm in GA also, and it gets really hot here, but my dash is in tack, never had any issues. Maybe Lexus will replace the dash at cost, or at a discount, but there may be a problem with this as well, since the car was not a purchased from a Lexus dealer as CPO.

2005 ES 330 Black/Black Nav
LexPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 04:56 AM   #18
kdyork60
Driver School Candidate

Guess I have to be more specific. When I say a $30K car- it was $38K new ( have sticker in the glove compartment) paid $23,900 plus tax, came out to about $25. Didn't know this was a forum of specifics that people question the integrity of the people posting then go on withBS. Stick to the facts. Appreciate the info on warranty only being 4 years... thought it was 50K. Soft foam dash melting sure does sound like the IS so guess I just happened to get the only one. Will take to dealer this week. Thanks all.
kdyork60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 05:21 AM   #19
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I remember using a stain remover called Goof Off on the plastic door part of my departed 1998 Lumina LTZ years ago and it did penetrate the plastic as if it was melting it. Note - just saw my this old car this past Friday, sold to same owner that has it now for $1,000 back in 2003. Has over 200,000 miles on it and still going. Those 3.8 V6 GM engines keep going and going.

2011 Impala LTZ / Cyber Gray - Gray / Bought 4/2011
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 12:14 PM   #20
kdyork60
Driver School Candidate

Default sticky melting dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklin View Post
Really?

I bet you can get a '12 right about now for not much more than that. With a small list of options.
I you can't be general in these forums. I purchased the car cash for $23K, plus taxes and referenced the car being a $30K car. Guess I should have said 30K ish..... car. Thanks for changing the direction of the discussion. No, I have no idea what the previous owner put on the dash... just know it can't be in the sun. I will work out with dealer and found one comment helpful. I'll stick to my Mercedes and Acura discussions where children are not playing on the computer.
kdyork60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 12:27 PM   #21
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, I love when people come on forums looking for everybody to powder their fannies and agree that the product is **** even though is cost $5 Million and they should have everything and anything done for them to make right on the egregious and incredible deficiencies in their USED cars. Then, when they get confronted with you know...logic...we're all a bunch of "children"...

If you want factory perfection, buy a new car. When you buy a used car these are the sorts of things you take a chance on. The previous owner did something to the dash, which is unfortunate. Its not the manufacturer's fault, and its not a "widespread defect". Sorry.
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 03:47 AM   #22
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdyork60 View Post
I you can't be general in these forums. I purchased the car cash for $23K, plus taxes and referenced the car being a $30K car. Guess I should have said 30K ish..... car. Thanks for changing the direction of the discussion. No, I have no idea what the previous owner put on the dash... just know it can't be in the sun. I will work out with dealer and found one comment helpful. I'll stick to my Mercedes and Acura discussions where children are not playing on the computer.
Do you biatch and moan on those forums too?
You have the only ES with a sticky dash issue that anyone here has heard of.
If you want warranty coverage for a problem buy new or CPO.
I'd never buy any used luxury vehicle non CPO.

'13 GS 350 AWD Starfire Pearl/Black
Luxury&Cold Pkg,BSM,LED Fogs,Puddles,Door Panels,Trunk,Reverse
'15 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring w/Tech AWD Crystal White Pearl Mica/Black

Joeb427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 05:15 AM   #23
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Maybe the detailer that cleaned your car for the sale used some kind of cleaner to remove imbedded dirt / grime or even maybe applied a finish enhancing product to make the dash appear better.

Old 07-03-12, 01:15 PM   #24
frankbcnt
Driver

My mothernlaw has a 07 Camry with a melting dash. She doesn't
Clean the car much because it's not used much. It's got like 24k on it now. Anyways she said the camrys have issues with the dash melting. It looks horrible I'd be really irritated if it was my car. She is the only owner too. She got one of te first camrys on 06 with the v6
1998 Eclipse gsx, awd, 30psi of boost - toy
frankbcnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 01:17 PM   #25
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

I was in an 07 Camry today, dash is a totally different material than the ES though...

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
Old 07-03-12, 08:46 PM   #26
retired
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW10ES View Post
LOL, I love when people come on forums looking for everybody to powder their fannies and agree that the product is **** even though is cost $5 Million and they should have everything and anything done for them to make right on the egregious and incredible deficiencies in their USED cars. Then, when they get confronted with you know...logic...we're all a bunch of "children"...

If you want factory perfection, buy a new car. When you buy a used car these are the sorts of things you take a chance on. The previous owner did something to the dash, which is unfortunate. Its not the manufacturer's fault, and its not a "widespread defect". Sorry.
In my opinion, this type of comment is neither helpful or warranted..Assuming that the previous owner did something is just conjecture....The original post is about a specific dash problem and responses should be helpful and informative...I have an 07 that I purchased used, but I purchased it from a friend...I have not experienced a sticky dash, but I have read that another owner has had this problem..What is needed is a solution to remendy the problem..Replacement of the dash might be the only fix....Buying a new car does not mean perfection....Responses should be FOCUSED on the problem and not on the person who asks for constructive input....HAVE A GREAT DAY.

Last edited by retired; 07-03-12 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 09:55 AM   #27
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Responses should be FOCUSED on the problem and not on the person who asks for constructive input....HAVE A GREAT DAY.
I agree, until the OP calls us children because we don't agree with him. He's not looking for help, he's looking for someone to pad his fanny. We answered all of his questions, he just didn't like the answers.

Quote:
Assuming that the previous owner did something is just conjecture
Its occam's razor, what is more likely? That there is a widespread dash melting issue that we have never heard on the two largest Lexus forums on the earth? Or that the previous owner put something on the dash that damaged the material?

Quote:
I have not experienced a sticky dash, but I have read that another owner has had this problem.
Where? Point the OP to that, it would help him.

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
Old 07-04-12, 01:35 PM   #28
retired
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW10ES View Post
I agree, until the OP calls us children because we don't agree with him. He's not looking for help, he's looking for someone to pad his fanny. We answered all of his questions, he just didn't like the answers.

Its occam's razor, what is more likely? That there is a widespread dash melting issue that we have never heard on the two largest Lexus forums on the earth? Or that the previous owner put something on the dash that damaged the material?

Where? Point the OP to that, it would help him.
It is great that we are back on the real issue...Helping him with his dash problem...I would like to point him the right direction, but I cannot remember where I read it...Possible result of my old age LOL Lets try to point him in the direction of fixing the problem such as a dash cover on ebay.( as previously suggested) or going to a junk yard....This forum is a great source for information, lets try and keep it that way.........
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 07:12 AM   #29
garsarno
Lexus Champion

There is a complete top dashboard for sale on e-bay motors. Seller is out of CA. Asking $800 but does have some scuff marks. www.ebaymotors.com, search for ES350 dashboard on parts and accessories, tune it to most expensive search.

Old 07-05-12, 07:32 AM   #30
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsarno View Post
There is a complete top dashboard for sale on e-bay motors. Seller is out of CA. Asking $800 but does have some scuff marks. www.ebaymotors.com, search for ES350 dashboard on parts and accessories, tune it to most expensive search.
I would think the removal and install labor would be a big job.

'13 GS 350 AWD Starfire Pearl/Black
Luxury&Cold Pkg,BSM,LED Fogs,Puddles,Door Panels,Trunk,Reverse
'15 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring w/Tech AWD Crystal White Pearl Mica/Black

Joeb427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 07:32 AM

Tags
2007, 350, dash, dashboard, es350, extremely, forum, heat, interior, lexus, melt, melting, recall, sticky, syndrome, top