ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus vs Toyota Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 01:15 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus vs Toyota Service

I own two 2008 ES350's. A gold one that is a basic model and is my daily driver. And a Maroon ultra with everything except ML audio. It has the premium audio. I knew that there would be a difference in cost between the Lexus and Toyota service. What I found was eye opening.
I took the Maroon one in to Lexus for it's 40,000 mile checkup and oil change. It cost me $284.60. Then I took the Gold one in to Toyota for its 15,000 (Yes Fifteen thousand) mile checkup and oil change. The work that both service departments was nearly identical. The Toyota did a 32 point inspection and cost me $0.00. (Yes, nothing) The Lexus dealer charged me $146.03 for a 16 point inspection. Toyota gave a detailed check list, while Lexus gave me a printed list of the checks that the mechanic should have done. (I have No reason to doubt the mechanic) I had both cars changed over to the synthetic oil, the tires rotated, a new cabin filter but did not get an Air cleaner. I have K & N Filters in both.
The final totals are:
Lexus = $284.60
Toyota = $123.10.
I believe that the service was nearly identical at both dealerships. Think that I will be taking both cars to Toyota from now on.
Old 06-12-12, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Doesn't surprise me. The perks at the Lexus dealer cost a lot...

You could do that and rent a luxury car for the day and still come out ahead. Thats why I take it to an independent, my bill for that service would have been about $95.
Old 06-12-12, 03:37 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I took my wife's Toyota SUV Suquioa in for 60k serv maint. being we are about to put 3500-4k ona trip here very soon. Anyway the serv advisor at Toyota let me know forany kind of serv, theyare not allowed to do even as simple as oil change on Lexus. He had done one oil change on my Lexus previously but said they had got a mandate for zero serv on Lexus. Surprised you were able too....he is very large dealership here in Houston. Something to efffect they got caught in bind with couple vehicles and lexus would offer no help so.... Thought i would share.
Old 06-12-12, 04:52 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took my old Lexus ES300 to the local Toyota shop for a timing belt/water pump. I told him I bring it to him because the parts are the same and Toyota parts are cheaper list prices. I went to pay and I noticed the water pump was $100 higher then their original estimate. (Lexus list price was $100 higher). He said Lexus owners like to use Lexus parts......Sorry not me.....after reminding him about the reason I visit him..... The bill got reduced $100.
Old 06-12-12, 07:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRey350hou
IAnyway the serv advisor at Toyota let me know forany kind of serv, theyare not allowed to do even as simple as oil change on Lexus. He had done one oil change on my Lexus previously but said they had got a mandate for zero serv on Lexus. Surprised you were able too....he is very large dealership here in Houston.
This is not a Toyota or Lexus mandate, they can't by law make such a mandate. A dealership is an independent business, and their service department can work on whatever type vehicle they want to.

Not all Toyota dealers will service Lexus vehicles, but most will. A lot of times if the same conglomerate or chain that owns the Toyota dealer also owns a Lexus dealer, the conglomerate management won't allow the Toyota dealer to take higher paying service away from the Lexus dealer.

Try another Toyota dealer, they'll service it.
Old 06-12-12, 08:13 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
This is not a Toyota or Lexus mandate, they can't by law make such a mandate. A dealership is an independent business, and their service department can work on whatever type vehicle they want to.

Not all Toyota dealers will service Lexus vehicles, but most will. A lot of times if the same conglomerate or chain that owns the Toyota dealer also owns a Lexus dealer, the conglomerate management won't allow the Toyota dealer to take higher paying service away from the Lexus dealer.

Try another Toyota dealer, they'll service it.
ok Mr SW. He had no reason to lie .Anyway not a big deal...i dont pinch pennies with my Lexus. he had just serviced the oil once and i mentioned might bring it in for oil change and he let me know they wont allow him anymore. Didnt really need all the law this blah blah....relax enjoy the site and dont be so serious. Enjoy the Ride !!
Old 06-12-12, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

ok Mr SW. He had no reason to lie .Anyway not a big deal...i dont pinch pennies with my Lexus. he had just serviced the oil once and i mentioned might bring it in for oil change and he let me know they wont allow him anymore. Didnt really need all the law this blah blah....relax enjoy the site and dont be so serious. Enjoy the Ride !!
LOL! Whats with the attitude? I'm just trying to help. He wasn't lying, he was told they couldn't service Lexus vehicles by his superiors at the dealership. I'm just saying the reason he can't is not because Lexus/Toyota won't allow it. Its his individual dealership has decided they aren't going to service Lexus vehicles, and what that dealership decides has no bearing on what other dealership's policies are. You said you were surprised he was able to get service at a Toyota dealer and you were not, I just explained why.

I don't think I'm the one who needs to relax

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-12-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-12-12, 08:45 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
LOL! Whats with the attitude? I'm just trying to help. He wasn't lying, he was told they couldn't service Lexus vehicles by his superiors at the dealership. I'm just saying the reason he can't is not because Lexus/Toyota won't allow it. Its his individual dealership has decided they aren't going to service Lexus vehicles, and what that dealership decides has no bearing on what other dealership's policies are. You said you were surprised he was able to get service at a Toyota dealer and you were not, I just explained why.

I don't think I'm the one who needs to relax
sounds good. Chirp chirp chirp .....
Old 06-12-12, 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Chirp chirp chirp .....
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...
Old 06-12-12, 10:49 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by John U
He said Lexus owners like to use Lexus parts......
No such thing. All replacement parts, oil filters, belts and etc. are Toyota parts.

Lou
Old 06-13-12, 04:12 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The independent garage parts (Fram, Hastings etc) have the same part for Toyota and Lexus engines.
Old 06-13-12, 04:41 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just jumped over here to read the posts. I have a 03 LS 430. I spend the summers in Pa. Last summer I took the car to Jim Shults Toyota in Bradford pa. They did timing belt, water pump, complete coolant flush, thermostat, brake pads new all around, oil and filter, and washed the car. With my senior citizen discount (10%) I was out the door for 890 bucks. That same service would have cost me at least 1500 -1800 at lexus. Kudos to Shults Toyota and my service advisor Dathan.
Old 06-13-12, 05:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Never thought of going to a Toyota dealer for service.
I do my own oil and all filter changes myself but considering the ES has a Camry engine and drivetrain,it's not a bad idea.Doesn't void warranty either.
I don't know if any Toyota dealers in my area would work on a Lexus.
Old 06-13-12, 05:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't know if any Toyota dealers in my area would work on a Lexus.
Call around and ask, I bet more will than won't.
Old 06-13-12, 05:34 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, we live in Grand Junction, in western Colorado. The closest Lexus dealers are in Denver or Salt Lake City, over 250 miles away.

I recently called one of the Denver dealers (where our car was originally sold) to ask about the 45K miles service, because I wanted to make sure to NOT void the warranty. The service writer I spoke with told me to just take the car to our local Toyota dealer to get the service done, as it is basically an oil/filter change. No need to drive over the mountains to Denver. Our car had been serviced at this same local Toyota dealer many times by the previous owner.

The only negative is that when Toyota does the work, it doesn't show up in the Lexus database. The owner must enter the info manually. Not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Lexus vs Toyota Service