ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Tires from dealership vs. Tire Retailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 06:44 AM
marvinje
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires from dealership vs. Tire Retailer

I need to get new tires on the front of my car, the dealer wants $588 for two new Michelins MXV4 installed, I found very similar tires at Discount Tire for $100 less, am I'm paying the extra $100 just for the "Lexus" experience?
Old 06-08-12, 06:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by marvinje
I need to get new tires on the front of my car, the dealer wants $588 for two new Michelins MXV4 installed, I found very similar tires at Discount Tire for $100 less, am I'm paying the extra $100 just for the "Lexus" experience?
It sure sounds like you are.

The two dealers I use near me have coupons/discounts for tires online at their web sites. You might check yours to see if there are any savings available if you want to use the dealer.
Old 06-08-12, 06:57 AM
marvinje
Driver

Good idea, let me check
Old 06-08-12, 07:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Good idea, let me check
Look under "Service Specials" or something like that.
Old 06-08-12, 07:24 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I've been a Discount Tire Customer for about 15 years now. And, there's nothing wrong with the "Discount Tire" experience, they now have popcorn Each purchasing experience was and they'll price match. IMHO, going anywhere else is a mistake. BTW, there's a Michelin promotion going on now:

http://www.michelinman.com/promotions.page

Lou
Old 06-08-12, 10:52 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm not sure what "very similar tires at Discount means", they really should be exactly the same as the other two tires you have. I too like the Discount experience with free rotations and balancing etc.

With a late model car it is often possible to get 2 - 4 takeoff tires that are exact matches on Craigslist or some wheel shops for 50 - 100 each. Tirerack is also a good source but it usually cost me about $100 to get them mounted and balanced so include that in your comparison. I believe my lexus dealer "requires" an alignment if they even agree to mount tires they didn't sell - only went for that one time because I thought it was about time anyway..

Dave Mac
Old 06-08-12, 01:18 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have used Tire Rack in the past with good results. The only problem is with any warranty issues. They do not handle locally,in my case with Kumho tires that did not reach their tread wear life warranty, they sent me to Sears. Sears did help me but were not happy to. Took about 6 weeks to resolve with new tires at a steep discount. And the local Kumho dealer told me they would not work with me (I can't blame them).
Old 06-08-12, 02:01 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default do your homework

My experience is to have Sams Club install tires...They sell the road hazard, lifetime balance and rotation at a price much lower than the dealer ...Sams will rotate and balance every 6k FOC..The initial cost is $10 to $15 per tire...I got the GoodYear Assurance Comfort Tred 70k rated tire...and at the time Goodyear had a mail in rebate...I have 15,000 miles on them and they show minimal wear....Whatever tire you purchase, it is benefical to DO YOUR HOMEWORK by checking consumers reviews and tire specs...Hope this helps....In my opinion, Michelin is over rated and over priced........ I also buy four tires, instead of just two, and have them rotated and balanced as recommended..
Old 06-08-12, 02:10 PM
LexusVTS44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the rating on your Lexus tires, they should be "V" rated tires. Yeah you can get cheap tires, but do not complain about the road noise when you do. If you buy an expensive vehicle, do not expect to pay cheaply for parts. If you go to discount tire, check and see how much their "V" rated tires are. If they are less than the Lexus dealer then buy them. I doubt it though. How about this, just buy the right tires, pay more, and be satisfied. Whoever says that cheaper is better is wrong, and that it what everyone else just told you. They are wrong.
Old 06-08-12, 04:01 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusVTS44
Check the rating on your Lexus tires, they should be "V" rated tires. Yeah you can get cheap tires, but do not complain about the road noise when you do. If you buy an expensive vehicle, do not expect to pay cheaply for parts. If you go to discount tire, check and see how much their "V" rated tires are. If they are less than the Lexus dealer then buy them. I doubt it though. How about this, just buy the right tires, pay more, and be satisfied. Whoever says that cheaper is better is wrong, and that it what everyone else just told you. They are wrong.
Again, I say DO YOUR HOMEWORK....I dont say buy cheap tires...Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tred are V rated and I have been pleased with them ....The Goodyear rebates made them a good price....Prior to rebates the price was $700 for a set of four....The original tires lasted 26k and the second set (which were Goodyear non assurance comfort tred) lasted 34k..........Again, I hope this helps.....Check tire rating,,,Treadwear rating,traction and temperature ratings..........Customer reviews can be very informative and helpful.........
Old 06-08-12, 05:55 PM
marvinje
Driver

The dealer is going to install Michelin Energy, put Discount Tire has the Primacy, from what I've read about both tires, they both are quiet, all season tires, just the Energy cost more. I own a 2004 Ford Taurus as well, and those came from Discount Tire, very friendly. I think I will go to them and save myself some money.
Old 06-08-12, 06:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

"V" rated tires are not necessary on an ES350. It's a speed rating. V rated tires are good for up to 149 MPH. An H rated tire is just fine, they're good up to 130MPH. I doubt if any of you have driven that fast. The ES350 comes with a V rated tire from the factory because the NHTSA says a tire mounted on a new car must be capable of performing at the top speed the vehicle they are installed on. An ES can go faster than 130MPH, hence the V rated tire.

See this thread for tire recommendations and a discussion of V vs H ratings:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...s-v-rated.html

Lou
Old 06-08-12, 07:03 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go the Primacy over the Energy.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS
Old 06-08-12, 07:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Consumer Reports rates the Primacy (H) higher than the Energy in their tests.
Old 06-09-12, 04:56 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by John U
Go the Primacy over the Energy.
+1! We put the Primacy on our ES and are VERY pleased with the ride, handling and noise levels. These are GREAT tires!

Also, I like the Discount Tire experience! Free rotations & re-balancing can save you several hundred dollars over the life of the tires.

Quick Reply: Tires from dealership vs. Tire Retailer