ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Thinking of Purchasing an 07 or 08 ES350, Need Advice

Old 05-18-12, 08:28 AM
JRA2000TL
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Thinking of Purchasing an 07 or 08 ES350, Need Advice

I'm new here; this is my first post. I've been wanting an ES350 for awhile but have some questions / need some advice.

First of all, my primary driver is an 07 4Runner SR5 V6, which has been a drastic change to the cars I formerly drove (00 and 01 Acura TLs for about 6-7 years). I bought the 4Runner for the room and the towing capability (have a Honda Aquatrax PWC); however, my dad just purchased a 2010 RX 350 and is keeping his old Grand Cherokee, which I can use to haul/tow things when I need to.

I really miss having an entry level luxury sedan. The TL was great minus the awful transmission problems they had with those models. The 4Runner is rock solid reliable-but it's a truck. MPGs are also terrible. I'm still trying to figure out whether I want to sell it and get an ES or just keep it. A friend is interested in buying the 4Runner if I decide to sell.

How's the reliability of the 07-08 ES? I was leaning toward an 07 because my budget is $20k and that's about what I can get an 07 for; however, I'm starting to read that they have transmission and window track issues. I also heard about complaints regarding thin/chipping paint. Should I go for an 08? Did they fix those 1st year issues? I'd hate to sell the reliabile vehicle I have and get something that requires alot of maintenance and up-keep. I bought the 4Runner with 63k on it and now have 108k with only oil changes, spark plugs (once at 100k), and front brake pads. Not bad!

My ideal ES 350 is a black/black with the Mark Levinson. I originally wanted the Ultra Luxury pkg., but I'm still uncertain as to what the big difference is and if it's worth it. Local small highline car lot that sold my dad the RX can get me an 07 for about $20k; said they're going at the auction in the 18s.

Last edited by JRA2000TL; 05-18-12 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 08:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
I'm new here; this is my first post. I've been wanting an ES350 for awhile but have some questions / need some advice.

First of all, my primary driver is an 07 4Runner SR5 V6, which has been a drastic change to the cars I formerly drove (00 and 01 Acura TLs for about 6-7 years). I bought the 4Runner for the room and the towing capability (have a Honda Aquatrax PWC); however, my dad just purchased a 2010 RX 350and is keeping his old Grand Cherokee, which I can use to haul/tow things when I need to.

I really miss having an entry level luxury sedan. The TL was great minus the awful transmission problems they had with those models. The 4Runner is rock solid reliable-but it's a truck. MPGs are also terrible. I'm still trying to figure out whether I want to sell it and get an ES or just keep it. A friend is interested in buying the 4Runner if I decide to sell.

How's the reliability of the 07-08 ES? I was leaning toward an 07 because my budget is $20k and that's about what I can get an 07 for; however, I'm starting to read that they have transmission and window track issues. I also heard about complains regarding thin/chipping paint. Should I go for an 08? I'd hate to sell the reliabile vehicle I have and get something that requires alot of maintenance and up-keep. I bought the 4Runner with 63k on it and now have 108k with only oil changes, spark plugs (once at 100k), and front brake pads. Not bad!

My ideal ES 350 is a black/black with the Mark Levinson. I originally wanted the Ultra Luxury pkg., but I'm still uncertain as to what the big difference is and if it's worth it. Local small highline car lot that sold my dad the RX can get me an 07 for about $20k.
I'd pass on an '07 as it was a first year design.
Tough to find a ES350 with Mark Levinson unless it has the UL pkg which is well worth the extra $3K with Mark Levinson,pano roof,semi-aniline leather,wheels etc on a new ES and maybe $2K on a used one.
Old 05-18-12, 09:24 AM
JRA2000TL
Pit Crew

Thanks. The more I read about the 07s, the more I'm shying away from them. An 08 is going to run me $22k though, which is a little more than I wanted to spend. I looked at the IS as well, but it's the "smaller sporty" model; from what I've seen it costs just as much; the only one worth having, IMO, would be the IS350, which go for big $$. What I'd save in fuel might make up for the extra cost to get the 08 ES over the 07.

Also worried about the cost of the electronics repairs without a warranty. Never used mine on the 4Runner. Don't need the nav system, so that's not an issue.
Old 05-18-12, 10:58 AM
jasonwalls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRA2000TL

First of all, my primary driver is an 07 4Runner SR5 V6, which has been a drastic change to the cars I formerly drove (00 and 01 Acura TLs for about 6-7 years). I bought the 4Runner for the room and the towing capability (have a Honda Aquatrax PWC); however, my dad just purchased a 2010 RX 350 and is keeping his old Grand Cherokee, which I can use to haul/tow things when I need to.

How's the reliability of the 07-08 ES? I was leaning toward an 07 because my budget is $20k and that's about what I can get an 07 for; however, I'm starting to read that they have transmission and window track issues. I also heard about complaints regarding thin/chipping paint. Should I go for an 08? Did they fix those 1st year issues? I'd hate to sell the reliabile vehicle I have and get something that requires alot of maintenance and up-keep. I bought the 4Runner with 63k on it and now have 108k with only oil changes, spark plugs (once at 100k), and front brake pads. Not bad!

My ideal ES 350 is a black/black with the Mark Levinson. I originally wanted the Ultra Luxury pkg., but I'm still uncertain as to what the big difference is and if it's worth it. Local small highline car lot that sold my dad the RX can get me an 07 for about $20k; said they're going at the auction in the 18s.
I purchased my 2007 ES350 with about 33k miles, I'm at 45k miles now. It rides great and it's extremely comfortable, I have the crystal white/beige interior, I get compliments almost everyday on the car. The only issues I have with the car is that the paint chips extremely easily. I hate going on long trips because I know I'm going to get a few new chips. The other thing is thatI can't see anything around the car, it has really bad blind spots and it's impossible for me to gauge my distance reversing. I don't have the backup sensor.
Old 05-21-12, 08:14 PM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get a 2007, go for a late date of mfg. The door jamb has the date stamped.
Old 05-22-12, 06:44 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned my 2007 ES since new in November of 2006. It has been fantastic. I've had no transmission issues at all. It still runs very smooth and quiet after 52,000 miles. Some cars had transmission problems in early 2007. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing a 2007 as long as you verify that the transmission isn't slipping between shifts.
Old 05-22-12, 06:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
I've owned my 2007 ES since new in November of 2006. It has been fantastic. I've had no transmission issues at all. It still runs very smooth and quiet after 52,000 miles. Some cars had transmission problems in early 2007. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing a 2007 as long as you verify that the transmission isn't slipping between shifts.
I had a very early build (4/06) 2007 which I bought in May of '06. It was problem free for nearly 4 years. Never had to take it in for warranty or service bulletin work during that time (other than the questionable floor mat/accelerator pedal recall) . I liked it so much I bought a 2010.

But I agree, make sure the transmission is working OK before purchasing a 2007 model.
Old 05-22-12, 07:00 AM
retired
Driver

MY ADVICE....Dont buy..07 or 08..Issue with Window failure..Plastic holding tabs break and entire window needs to be replaced...Dealer cost $660...Also rubber hose used to distribute engine oil fails...Has been recalled and should have been replaced.. I have an 01 lx470 and my 07 es350 is not half the car of the 01..Hope this helps
Old 05-22-12, 03:47 PM
retired
Driver

Originally Posted by retired
MY ADVICE....Dont buy..07 or 08..Issue with Window failure..Plastic holding tabs break and entire window needs to be replaced...Dealer cost $660...Also rubber hose used to distribute engine oil fails...Has been recalled and should have been replaced.. I have an 01 lx470 and my 07 es350 is not half the car of the 01..Hope this helps
Forgot to mention --------cost to replace the water pump is $250 for the pump and $1800 labor....The engine has to be removed to replace the water pump..........In my opinion, stay away from the 07/08 es350
Old 05-22-12, 04:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

On the other hand, according to Consumer Reports Owners Surveys, the ES350 is one of the highest rated cars for Predicted Reliability. They've sold a lot of them, I read somewhere on another thread over 300,000 of the current gen, so there must be a lot of good ones out there.

Still, do your research before jumping in and buying one, and not a bad idea to look for a 2008-2009 or later if your budget allows, but it might be difficult with the $20k budget.

Last edited by LexBob2; 05-22-12 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 05:31 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Like any car, there are lemons. The '07s especailly had transmission issues, but these weren't as widespread as our complaints here may make it seem. There were a couple of voluntary recalls like the oil hose (which you definitely should make sure was replaced in the car you buy), but then this is normal too - I just got one on my 2008 Tacoma last week.

The important thing is to get a car you LIKE, and is reliable. By any measurement the ES350 is reliable. All the consumer ratings bear this out.

The IS & the ES are two completely different cars. The IS is a sporty car. The ES is a sedate cruiser. The IS has higher maintenance costs (i.e. different high performance front & rear tires) and IMO isn't very comfortable. Forget the rear seat. The ES is smooth and spacious, and as CR says, "not even remotely fun to drive."

I have a 2007 ES350 I bought in July of 2006. It now has 121,000 miles on it and has been a wonderful car. I just replaced the brake pads & spark plugs (for the first time). I'd buy one tomorrow without hesitation.
Old 06-02-12, 09:43 PM
JRA2000TL
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the helpful input everyone. I've decided to go with an 08 over an 07 due to the issues with the 1st year redesign. I test drove an 08 today; dark blue with a very light gray (could not even tell if it was tan or gray) interior. I'm thinking that's what Lexus calls Alabaster. I'm pretty much dead set on black/black and would settle for the smoky granite mica/black. My dad just picked up a 10 RX350 in the smoky granite mica on gray. What a fine automobile! On the 08 I drove, it did not have the perforated leather, so that meant no UL pkg. He did have an 11 in the smoky granite mica on gray. The leather was perforated, so I assumed an UL pkg with the Mark Levinson. I asked to check that one out too. The stereo sounded a little better than the blue one, but only marginally. If it did have the ML sound system, it wasn't that impressive. Is there a way you can tell on these vehicles? That UL drives up the price quite a bit. $22k for an 08 is what I'm looking for--which is pretty much wholesale; but I have some sources. 30-55k on the mileage with no accidents is what I'm looking for.

Overall, the ES350 is a fine car. Now I just need to sell my 4Runner and decide if I want that UL pkg or not. Made me really miss having a 4 door entry level luxury sedan. The 4Runner is a great vehicle built very well; but I'm not a truck/SUV kind of guy.
Old 06-02-12, 09:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The perforated leather doesn't mean it has the UL package, it means it has ventilated seats. On the 10-12 the UL has double stitching on the seats, and of course semi-analine leather. If it had ML it would say "markLevinson" on the radio face. The UL package also has the panoramic roof, different wheels, etc.

The UL package car is significantly more rare, there were actually more of them in 07 than 08...
Old 06-07-12, 09:39 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to get rid of my 2007. I wouldn't get anything before 2009. Toyota really screwed up and refuses to take responsibility for the defects after the warranty is up. Car manufacturers have no pride in their workmanship anymore. The blatant defect in the window clips is evidence of this.
Old 06-11-12, 02:53 AM
JRA2000TL
Pit Crew

Some great advice here on the forum; good to know the pros and cons straight from the owners. If the 09s are as much improved as everyone says, maybe I will hold off until the fall when they essentially become a year older and prices drop slightly on the 09s. I'd rather not worry with a transmission or window issue. Several now have confirmed the fact that 09s and up are the way to go. Thanks for all the help.