Just purchased 2009 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 05:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tact
Thank you!!!

Driving to Nashville to pick it up. Really, the only negative about the car that I know of is that it only comes with one remote/smart key. I called my friend at the Lexus dealership and he quoted $275 for another one. He also said if I find a used remote, he can reprogram it for $55, and he could cut a blank key for another $25.

I'm sure there are threads regarding smart key replacements. I'll have to do a search, but I need an extra key for my peace of mind.

Why not get the dealer to give you a second key as part of the deal?Try a second key or no deal bluff.Or offer $100.
I doubt they would let the sale die for another key fob.Dealer's key fob and key cost,key cut and programming is way less than $200.
You can buy a new key fob and key is around $175 from Sewell Lexus parts here with Club Lexus discount..

I've read some used key fobs can't be reprogrammed for another car.Better do some searches here and make sure a used key will work.

You can always buy this wallet keyfob for $205 and have it programmed.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/2694.html

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-17-12 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-17-12, 06:32 AM
Tact
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Why not get the dealer to give you a second key as part of the deal?Try a second key or no deal bluff.Or offer $100.
I doubt they would let the sale die for another key fob.Dealer's key fob and key cost,key cut and programming is way less than $200.
You can buy a new key fob and key is around $175 from Sewell Lexus parts here with Club Lexus discount..

I've read some used key fobs can't be reprogrammed for another car.Better do some searches here and make sure a used key will work.

You can always buy this wallet keyfob for $205 and have it programmed.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/2694.html
If I was buying the car from a Lexus dealership I would demand another fob. However, I'm buying from a non-Lexus dealer. I really don't want to cause too much of a stink since I feel like they gave me a pretty good deal to begin with, and I don't want to split hairs, but I don't recall ever buying a car without two keys or two remotes. I'll keep searching
Old 05-17-12, 03:08 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't recall ever buying a car without two keys or two remotes. I'll keep searching
The previous owner will be listed in the owners manuals. Give'em a call and sweet talk with them. They probably have them in a drawer
Old 05-17-12, 05:24 PM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by John U
The previous owner will be listed in the owners manuals. Give'em a call and sweet talk with them. They probably have them in a drawer
It was a lease and there are no previous owner names in the paperwork.

I just got home and the car is nice. I'm a little disappointed as we were short on time and I had to get back home to get the kids from school, so I didn't have a chance to give it a good test drive before purchasing, but the condition was so nice and there was no records of any accidents that I thought it wasn't really necessary,

Once I got on the interstate going about 60 mph I had to apply the brakes coming up on traffic, and the rotor were so warped that it about shook me out of the car. If I wasn't so pressed for time I would have driven right back to the dealer's lot. Before I called the salesperson I called my friend who is a mechanic and explained the warped rotors. He advised that instead of turning the rotors he would just replace them with new ones instead. He said that if I turned the rotor it wouldn't last long and I would be replacing them in another month or two. He also said he would replace the pads that that time as well. He didn't give me a price at that time, but I'm sure it won't be cheap.

I then called the salesperson and explained that I could handle not having two remotes, but I was very unhappy to find out after I made the purchase that the rotor needed fixed. This car should have been inspected by them before I arrived and took possession. If there was a mechanical defect it should have been fixed or advised to me. He said he would check with the owner and call me back. I hope they do the right thing and reimburse me for the expense.
Old 05-17-12, 05:52 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tip: I've tried two different types of ceramic pads trying to cut the brake dust on the front. ......they were worse then the OEM pads. Now this was on a '94 ES I've since sold. Maybe things have changed since then (really odd is the same brand and model on my van were dust free?) Don't skimp on the rotors either or you'll be buying another set in two years.
Old 05-18-12, 01:19 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!!!

Driving to Nashville to pick it up. Really, the only negative about the car that I know of is that it only comes with one remote/smart key. I called my friend at the Lexus dealership and he quoted $275 for another one. He also said if I find a used remote, he can reprogram it for $55, and he could cut a blank key for another $25.

I'm sure there are threads regarding smart key replacements. I'll have to do a search, but I need an extra key for my peace of mind.
I agree with Joeb427, but you should not have to pay for the second key fob. The dealer should give you two key fobs automatically. I would press the dealer on this. Call before you pic up the car, and let them know your concerns, or contact Lexus Customer Service, I believe this is standard Lexus policy to give you two key fobs. .....
Old 05-18-12, 05:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I agree with Joeb427, but you should not have to pay for the second key fob. The dealer should give you two key fobs automatically. I would press the dealer on this. Call before you pic up the car, and let them know your concerns, or contact Lexus Customer Service, I believe this is standard Lexus policy to give you two key fobs. .....
LexPaul,the problem is he didn't buy the car from a Lexus dealer.He should have bought from a Lexus dealer.The car would have been completely checked out and would be Certified.
So far he looking at a repair,one key and a extended warranty.
Unless you get a super duper deal,buying certified from a Lexus dealer is the way to go...
Old 05-18-12, 06:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

LexPaul,the problem is he didn't buy the car from a Lexus dealer.He should have bought from a Lexus dealer.The car would have been completely checked out and would be Certified.
Unless you get a super duper deal,buying certified from a Lexus dealer is the way to go...

I agree. Plus, if you are looking to spend $25k-$26k there are a lot of new car choices where you can buy brand new with full warranty for that amount.
Old 05-18-12, 06:40 AM
Tact
Driver

I agree....I should have been able to buy from a Lexus dealer, but their price on the same comparable car was more than $6K difference.
Old 05-18-12, 06:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I agree....I should have been able to buy from a Lexus dealer, but their price on the same comparable car was more than $6K difference.
Sorry Tact,no way a $6K difference.Even with NAV an '09 isn't at $30K.Maybe A Lexus dealer deal would have been maybe $2K more then what you paid with good haggling and the car would have been certified and completely checked out.Plenty of negotiation room on a used car.
The used car mark up is crazy.
I can buy certified '09 non NAV ES350's at Lexus dealers for under $25K easily in my NYC metro area and with lower mileage than your '09.
Now you have the repair (hopefully no others),extra key and extended warranty will cost you over that $2K.
Sorry for being so blunt but it is what it is.

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-18-12 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 07:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I just looked at one dealership in my area and they have 3 CPO '09's all with about 30k-32k miles and they are asking $25k-$27k for them.
Old 05-18-12, 07:05 AM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I just looked at one dealership in my area and they have 3 CPO '09's all with about 30k-32k miles and they are asking $25k-$27k for them.
Not here......my one and only dealership's best price on a certified 2009 w/ 5K more miles was $28,600. By the time you added taxes, tags, and their BS fees it was almost $31K. That is why I bought elsewhere.
Old 05-18-12, 07:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Not here......my one and only dealership's best price on a certified 2009 w/ 5K more miles was $28,600. By the time you added taxes, tags, and their BS fees it was almost $31K. That is why I bought elsewhere.
Ok,maybe there are less Lexus dealers in your area so less competition but that number is ridiculous on an '09 with 40K miles.Even if it has NAV but it's an asking price.Asking prices are always very high.The ES is a common car so there's plenty of wiggle room..
Probably at least $3K off with great haggling.
Old 05-18-12, 08:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Hopefully your dealer will do the right thing for you. If not it sounds like your friend is the way to go for the brakes. Keep us posted on things regarding the extra fob and brakes.
Old 05-18-12, 10:55 AM
Tact
Driver

Just to give you guys a heads-up. I took my car to my mechanic this morning and he would call me back once he inspected it. In the meantime I spoke again to my salesperson in Nashville and advised what I had done. He stated for me not to worry about it, that they would take care of it. It was something that slipped through the crack on delivering my car. At that time I told him that I believed it just needed to have the front rotors turned and pads, but I wasn't sure 100% until it could be inspected. I stated I didn't know how bad they were warped and if it was just the fronts.

Well I just got a call and my mechanic stated that the rotors on all four corners needed replaced and they were so warped that they couldn't be turned. I was kind of shocked that a car with 35K needed new rotors.

Anyways, he stated that the total cost would be $760, which seemed very reasonable since Lexus quoted $375 just to turn the front rotors and new pads.

So I called the salesperson back, told him the quote and stated that he was welcome to call the mechanic to verify if need be. He said he might but didn't really see a need. He advised that he spoke with the owner of the dealership and he stated he would take care of the bill. They faxed me a post delivery agreement stating that they would take care of the repairs for $760. I just hope that they make good on their commitment. I feel a lot better knowing that they are willing to take care of this issue, and didn't tell me to go pound sand.

Now I've got to find me another key fob!

Quick Reply: Just purchased 2009 ES 350