2012 ES loaner, have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 09:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
In my 2011 ES350 with Navigation (no Mark Levinson):
The ECO light - Press the "DISP" button until you get to the one that says "ECO Indicator OFF" and then hold down the "DISP" button until it changes to "ECO Indicator ON" - you will then notice the bright green "ECO" light will turn on as long as you feather the gas. Rev up beyond 2000 rpms or so and the ECO light turns off. Just a visual encouragement to be lighter on the gas pedal.

2012 should be the same - not sure about older models - maybe it was a dealer change in older Pre-2010 ES's?

The sunroof - you should be able to do one touch open / close by holding down the sunroof rocker switch for roughly 2 seconds in either direction. It isn't a dealer option as far as I know - might be something wrong with the car.

As far as torque steer - I've noticed a pretty significant amount of torque steer in my car, I generally try not to floor it because of that.

Wish the NAVI offered a way to see the Radio and map at the same time - but as far as I know I haven't seen it.

I'm shocked anyone drives this car in Manual mode. The manual mode seems completely broken since the car will not hold a gear for you - the manual mode only prevents a car from upshifting, it still downshifts to a lower gear if you step on the gas too hard. Essentially it is like an automatic with a "D6, D5, D4, D3, D2, D1" that simply is replaced by the manual mode. I guess I'm used to the Sport Shift on my Acura - other than 1 to 2, it will hold the gear for you, it never upshifts or downshifts out of the gear you have selected unless you manually shift it, or you slow down to the point where it has to drop down a gear to prevent the car from stalling. The way it works is closer to driving a manual car than the way Lexus does it on the ES.
I got the sunroof to auto close today. Holding down the button for more than two seconds is what it took. I was figuring it was like a one-touch power window button with two seperate detents, where pressing harder would trigger the feature.

I can't believe they don't allow you to see a radio station with the map up. Is this common amongst other car brands with navs or just a Lexus thing? Am I the only one who wonders what station I'm on before wanting to change it?

The main reason I drive it in "S" mode is because I like having as much control over the car as possible. While it may not offer that much control, at least I can manipulate rpms for accelerating and also enhance braking. Like if there are times you want to slow down without hitting the brakes, it's handy to use. My biggest beef with it however is how slow it takes to actually shift. You move the lever and then there's a good two second delay before anything happens. My IS is similar, but not quite as bad.

While talking about mechanicals, I wonder what this motor would sound like with a little exhaust note. I know that's not the role of this car at all, but with all that power, it's got singing potential. I'm guessing they dailed in some exhaust sound with the IS350 or maybe even the new GS.
Old 05-15-12, 09:55 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

With my 2011 Canadian car (Nav., no MK) I cannot disable the ECO light operation just as the Canadian Owner's Manual states....... but I did go through the menus again anyway. Not sure why this logic difference between the Canada and U.S. cars?? As far as the exhaust note of these cars they do have a dual flow valve in the mufflers. This valve opens to allow for the higher flow when you "step on it". I'm sure if you were behind the car when this valve opens you would hear the difference. However it is a Lexus mind you, so considerable effort has been taken to have a quiet engine intake, as well as the exhaust. If you look under the car in the area adjacent to the driver's door you'll see a HUGE resonator.
Old 05-18-12, 04:35 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe they don't allow you to see a radio station with the map up. Is this common amongst other car brands with navs or just a Lexus thing? Am I the only one who wonders what station I'm on before wanting to change it?

Get the new 2013 GS 350. The screen is large enough where they have set-up the right side to be able to view the radio and or other items.

In my 2010 ES 350, I simply switch with the press of a button from Maps to radio and back, if I ever have any need for it.