ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Good MP3 Player Recommendation? (ES '12)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 04:50 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good MP3 Player Recommendation? (ES '12)

I just bought a brand new 2012 ES 350 on Sat. and I love it... but very disappointed to discover about the STUPID navigation speed lockout feature. If anyone has a hack for the 11.1 hard drive version that doesn't involve ripping out my nav console, please let me know. (I don't understand how that would be an acceptable option for anyone, no matter how car savvy you are).

Brief Rant: Why should it be up to Lexus to decide if and how I am distracted? Even if the driver is distracted, that's why you have a copilot. What good is the $2500 console if you can't use it except when you're stopped? It's maddening to me.

So back to my original topic... can someone please recommend a fairly cheap MP3 player that I can use as a workaround for the speed lock so that I can browse my mp3 folders while moving? (not necessarily me but a copilot). I have about 7 GB of MP3's on a thumb drive - but that won't work because of the speed lockout. I have never owned an ipod, so I don't know how they work. Would such a setup even allow you to browse via the player or would you have to scroll up and down on the nav screen? Once plugged into the car USB port, would it then charge? If left in the usb port while the car is off, would it continue to drain the battery?

I need a gadget that would let me quickly scroll alphabetically through hundreds of folders when searching for songs, with a simple display, that I can store in the center console without getting too hot and blowing up. And a workaround for the navigation would be even better. Thanks.
Old 04-24-12, 05:26 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a 07 ES with nav. I use a classic iPod because it holds my entire music library, and i just leave it in the car all the time. But unfortunately the car doesn't let you see folders or songs while you are moving. You also can't use the iPod controls when its hooked up to stereo, unless you use the earphone jack. Same with the iphone4.
Old 04-24-12, 05:51 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

I don't think the 2012 has an earphone jack. So you can't even scroll on the ipod while moving? How does any Lexus owner tolerate these restrictions? I first snickered about how antiquated the 6 cd changer was, asking who uses cd's anymore, but now it seems we are forced to go back to ripping cds in order to listen to our music. I drove a Honda before this, and had full functionality of everything... the navigation system, scrolling music folders while moving or stopped. I think I would have seriously reconsidered buying this car, or at least puchasing the navigation option, if I knew this restriction existed in Lexus cars. Maybe I'll get over it, but right now I feel like I want to jump out of my skin!
Old 04-25-12, 04:03 AM
jimmy2x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 30g classic IPod that plugs into the center console and is available for scrolling at any time, so no issue there. You would need to install ITunes on your computer in order to synch up playlists, albums, etc. to the IPod. Sounds complicated - it is not. Ipod is hands down the best mp3 player and very easy to learn.
Old 04-25-12, 05:09 AM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Jimmy2x, you can scroll while moving with your classic ipod and JKeller cannot? Any idea why this would be? I would totally go with ipod and itunes if I was sure it would work. Can you use itunes to synch up MP3's already obtained without using itunes? Thanks.
Old 04-25-12, 08:11 AM
nyardich
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the usb port with an 8 gb thumb drive. I have about 300 songs and I use it all the time with my 2011 ES350.
Also I use my IPhone 4S remotely. Just paired it to Multimedia and it works fine with all displayed on Nav Screen.
Dont have to connect IPhone, it works by just having it in the car. Can also change albums by holding down next song up or down arrow key on steering wheel. I have had no problems. Lockout doesnt effect USB or IPhone........
Maybe 2012 has different setup than 2011???????
I also use my Phillips MP3 player thru aux port, however this does not show display on Nav Screen.....\

To use cellphone must use Bluetooth.Tab on Nav Screen and Bluetooth turned on for cellphone to work remotely.

Nick

Last edited by nyardich; 04-25-12 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Bluetooth
Old 04-25-12, 02:57 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Nyardich, perhaps it is different for the 2012. I can push and hold the steering wheel button to scroll albums on the thumb drive, but since my songs are organized by artist (separate folders) I probably have 500 folders, making this kind of scroll not useful. Are you able to scroll on your Philips MP3 player or are you forced to scroll on the nav screen? My phone is bluetooth and works ok except for the lockout which blocks scrolling through the contacts list while moving so as to dial.

If it turns out that I can't scroll with an MP3 player of any kind (ipod or generic player) I guess I will make a new drive of songs with minimal use of folders. That's my plan for now. I'd still like to have a device that I can scroll many folders (artists or albums) quickly so that I can keep my songs organized that way. It would be helpful if other 2012 owners who have mp3 players could weigh in on this.
Old 04-25-12, 05:12 PM
nyardich
Driver

LiPappy,

The only way to scroll or change folders or albums with the Phillps MP3 player is with the MP3 player itself and don't get anything on the nave screen other than the AUX screen.
I use my USB thumb drive the most and I can change folders or albums by holding the up/down on the steering wheel. When I use my USB I usually use Random Play and my songs play that way, but I can also change folders or which I have about 200 Plus albums/folders on the thumb drive.
I Like my new IPhone 4S and use it a lot. I just set it to Shuffle "Random" on my cell phone. It connects automatically when I push BT. All albums, artists etc are on the nav screen. No direct connect needed.
I took some Pictures but for some reason they can't be attached. I also have XM radio and can't decide which has the best fidelity. But I'm getting a little old now and ears can't hear great. My Email address is nyardich@aol.com and if you want I can send picts of the nav screen that I took today.
Hope this helps,
Nick
Old 04-25-12, 05:24 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Wouldn't it take forever to scroll through 200 albums with the push and hold on the steering wheel? I'm just trying to make sure I understand you. If the MP3 player let you scroll with it itself, that is great. Does it also charge it via the USB or does it have batteries? I would definitely be interested in seeing your pics. I'll email you. Thanks!
Old 04-25-12, 05:43 PM
nyardich
Driver

The USB drive is a standard USB and when plugged in to the USB Jack It displays all info on the Nav Screen.
I know that when there is a folder select and a file select which works for me to change folders. I think when car is in motion the select folder button only shows 4 or 5 folders which you can select while car is in motion.
I don't use the MP3 player that much because it doesnt show info on Nav Screen.
Old 04-25-12, 06:17 PM
RTSM
Driver

I tried USB sticks and low cost mp3 players but ended up with an iPod Touch. I have a 2011 and I can use the nav screen to scroll either by song or by artist while the car is moving. The good thing about a iPod Touch is that you can also use it to play games and surf the web if you are in the zone of a wireless point (no driving of course). The iPod also seemed to react quicker then some of the low cost usb sticks. IMHO of course, enjoy your new car!
Old 04-26-12, 07:55 AM
nyardich
Driver

I have an IPhone 4S and works the same. It connects automatically and thru bluetooth...............advantage you have cell phone functionality and also IPod...............................................Also with SIRI I can tell her what song or album or artist. to play. Freaking Magic.......................................................
Old 04-26-12, 09:14 PM
jimmy2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by lipappy
Jimmy2x, you can scroll while moving with your classic ipod and JKeller cannot? Any idea why this would be?
I only know that i can do it - cannot speak for others

I would totally go with ipod and itunes if I was sure it would work. Can you use itunes to synch up MP3's already obtained without using itunes? Thanks.
Yes - I have about 4500 mp3 files - many obtained before anyone heard of ITunes, rr and IPod for that matter. The NAV system display will allow you to scroll by artists, playlists, etc. If you have a lot of files, it may be easier to develop half dozen playlists that would satisfy you in the car - makes for easier scrolling and selection.