ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Install Rear Sunshade after purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 07:52 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install Rear Sunshade after purchase

Has anyone ever done or heard of installing a rear sunshade after purchasing the ES350 ?

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...591150010.html
Old 04-15-12, 08:50 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

No, never heard of someone doing that. I think it would be extremely difficult and as always costly. And I assume that this price is just for the switch and relay.

But FWIW I have had the sunscreens for many years on several cars here in Arizona and still seldom use it. Sometimes while parked if I remember to raise it.

Dave Mac
Old 04-15-12, 10:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
No, never heard of someone doing that. I think it would be extremely difficult and as always costly. And I assume that this price is just for the switch and relay.

But FWIW I have had the sunscreens for many years on several cars here in Arizona and still seldom use it. Sometimes while parked if I remember to raise it.

Dave Mac
I've had a rear sunshade on my last two cars and more often than not forget it's even there. For me, it's one of those nice to haves - Not a need to have.
Old 04-16-12, 04:24 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the rear shade a lot in the summer combined with a windshield shade. Both of them together do a pretty good job of keeping the interior temps somewhat bearable until the A/C can kick in.
Old 04-16-12, 07:22 PM
marvinje
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one in my car, I seldom use it aswell, when I was researching options for my car, this was one I THOUGHT I had to have, but hardly notice its there, infact I find it makes its difficult to see out of the rear window, do not waste your time and/or money on this.
Old 04-18-12, 06:11 AM
sutter1961
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear sunshade install

I have a 2007 ultra w/auto sunshade. I use it all the time, and love the idea of the sunshade. My only issue is that it retracts when the car is in reverse. I wish I could shut that feature off and have it remain up all the time. The up and down is a bit much.

I had a 2007 Camry XLE with a standard manual rear sunshade. I left it up all the time. I had no problem seeing through it. The Camry had 2 hooks above the rear window that the sunshade hooked to. It looked great, and I never had a problem with it. It was in the up position for years. You might want to check Toyota for the Camry manual sunshade to see if it might fit the ES350.
Old 04-20-12, 11:10 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use mine all the time as well. I especially like to use it at night when some annoying high-beaming/misaligned-headlight driver is behind me.
Old 04-20-12, 03:02 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess I'm going to be the odd-man-out here. While I might use a sunscreen if I had one, I sure do like window tinting as an option. If our 2008 hadn't had its windows tinted already when we bought it, I would have had it done ASAP. The sun here in western Colorado can be really intense in the summer, and tinting really cuts down on the heat inside the car.
Old 04-20-12, 07:04 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sutter1961
I have a 2007 ultra w/auto sunshade. I use it all the time, and love the idea of the sunshade. My only issue is that it retracts when the car is in reverse. I wish I could shut that feature off and have it remain up all the time. The up and down is a bit much.

I had a 2007 Camry XLE with a standard manual rear sunshade. I left it up all the time. I had no problem seeing through it. The Camry had 2 hooks above the rear window that the sunshade hooked to. It looked great, and I never had a problem with it. It was in the up position for years. You might want to check Toyota for the Camry manual sunshade to see if it might fit the ES350.
Agreed. If you use the backup camera and side mirrors, I don't see the need for it to retract.
Old 04-22-12, 07:26 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Even with a ClubLexus discount, the rear shade assembly and package shelf alone for an ES350 are over $1,500 from Sewell not including wiring which probably is part of a larger wiring loom.

I wish Lexus had continued supplying the dealer installed manually retractable rear shades of the early 1990's. They were very high quality and inexpensive - about $75 not including installation which took less than an hour.

The one on my first LS was still in perfect condiition after 13 1/2 years when I sold the car in 2003. Unfortunately, the new owner didn't retract the shade one dark night and backed into a concrete pillar doing significant damage. Only the side windows were tinted on that car - to 35%. I left the rear window untinted so I could lower the shade and see to back up at night.
Attached Thumbnails Install Rear Sunshade after purchase-90-ls-rear-side-view.jpg   Install Rear Sunshade after purchase-mvc-008f.jpg