ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Back to a ES350!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 02:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Back to a ES350!

Had one a couple of years ago and decided to get another.
Went for a Ultra Luxury this time and I'm very happy to be back to that smooth and quiet ride.
Just love the perks of the UL pkg.

Not many tungsten or starfire pearls with black interior around.On cars.com and autotrader.com,I only found two tungsten/black.one in at McGrath in Chicago where I was going to go but found one closer at Pohanka Lexus in VA and drove down Saturday and picked it up.I traded a very low mileage '10 IS 350.
Pohanka gave me $33252 for the IS350 and the ES UL at invoice.I feel it was a great deal.
There's maybe 4K ES350's available with a new generation coming.2900 on Autotrader.com.Great deals out there.
I was looking for a starfire/black as a close second choice but only found two and both were at one dealer in CA.
Saw the pics of the new generation '13 ES350 and I'm not liking it.Maybe it will grow on me but not a fan of the front spindle grill.Especially with the hood line and also not a fan of the interior.
I think Toyota is going for more handling so the ride may be less smooth.I think unlike the new Camry,it will still remain very quiet.

My review after 300 miles.
The ES has the same ride as my last ES350.Smooth and quiet.A nice difference from the IS350.Especially on a long ride.
Hit 28.8 MPG average on the way home and that's varying speeds because it's new and hitting 80 MPH at times.Not bad for a first tank of gas.I'm still going to use premium even though regular can be used.I don't do much mileage per.
The UL interior seats and door panels are a bit different with the UL pkg.Stitching on the doors panels and console arm rest and I believe the seat trim may be different too.Saddle brown center seat accents with the black interior looks great.
Love the pano roof look both in and out.
The ML sound is good but I somehow expected more.I'd say the stock system is a 6 and the ML is a 8.5,IMO.
The thigh seat cushion extender really doesn't do much.
I like the wheels but more spokes make it a bit tougher to clean and detail.

The only tiny negative I have is that the UL pkg has the satellite radio antenna small color keyed box on the trunk because of the roof being glass.Not a big deal but can't figure out why Toyota couldn't find a hidden spot or have it inside by the rear windshield.
The IS350 had more power and was fun to drive but the ES isn't really slow and is so much more comfortable.
We're very happy the with the ES.The wife wasn't a big fan of the IS.

I already swapped out the bulbs to LEDs on the door panels and dome lights.Nothing very bright.just white light.
Also went with a more power brighter 19 LED bulb in the reverse lights which helps in very dark situations.The camera picks up the extra light very well.I had most of these LEDs in the IS350.
Also changing the parking lights and fog lights to LEDs for a better front HID match .Doing the side mirror puddles too for a brighter white light.I hate that dingy yellow bulb look.
Getting a set of black all weather mats.I hate carpet mats.

Here's a few quick pics I just took after detailing her.
The interior saddle brown accent looks much better in person than the pic.The brown isn't that strong.I really like it and didn't know the black leather in a UL had the saddle accent.I thought it was just black like my IS350's interior.I'm fortunate I like the look after traveling 260 miles to buy the car.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-19-12 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 03:25 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a 2007 Ultra and traded in on a 2011 Premium with navigation. Miss the ML system, memory passenger seat and panoramic sunroof. The Ultra graphite color wheels are extremely prone to curb rash and I could never find touch up paint that matched the color. I always thought chrome versions of the Ultra's wheels would add a nice touch (available on e-bay motors). My new one has the spoiler and body side moldings. The spoiler changes the rear of the car and the moldings dress it up. Our local dealer ordered all of his stock with the spoiler and body side moldings so that previous owners would see quite a few differences from the 2007 - 2009 model years. Really like the USB port too. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-19-12, 03:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garsarno
Had a 2007 Ultra and traded in on a 2011 Premium with navigation. Miss the ML system, memory passenger seat and panoramic sunroof. The Ultra graphite color wheels are extremely prone to curb rash and I could never find touch up paint that matched the color. I always thought chrome versions of the Ultra's wheels would add a nice touch (available on e-bay motors). My new one has the spoiler and body side moldings. The spoiler changes the rear of the car and the moldings dress it up. Our local dealer ordered all of his stock with the spoiler and body side moldings so that previous owners would see quite a few differences from the 2007 - 2009 model years. Really like the USB port too. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Thanks,G.
I was debating getting the side moldings but just felt with the chrome rocker strip,the moldings make the side look too busy to me.
I'd also prefer a smaller lip type spoiler like the IS has but that's me.
We all have our own tastes and opinions.
As far as the ML goes,I expected to be blown away with the sound quality.It's much better than the stock system but it seems it's not as good as in my buddy here Koz's IS350 or a LS my son in law owned.Seems front sound heavy and fading to the back doesn't help much.Maybe I'll appreciate more the more I drive the car.
I will say the louder the better the system sounds.,
Old 03-19-12, 05:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Joe, the new ES UL looks good! I love the interior. I like both Tungsten and Starfire. They both look great when detailed and are relatively easy to keep clean.

It's just a personal preference, but I agree that side moldings look a little busy with the lower chrome strips on the 2010+ models. I do like the idea of the protection they offer.

Any road trips planned in the new ride?
Old 03-19-12, 06:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Joe, the new ES UL looks good! I love the interior. I like both Tungsten and Starfire. They both look great when detailed and are relatively easy to keep clean.

It's just a personal preference, but I agree that side moldings look a little busy with the lower chrome strips on the 2010+ models. I do like the idea of the protection they offer.

Any road trips planned in the new ride?
Thanks,Bob.
The saddle brown is washed out in the pic.Looks much sharper and nice in person.
Yes,silver is easier to keep clean.I like Starfire/black a bit more but tough to find with the UL option.
Yes,the moldings do help.We have the Honda oem accessory side moldings on the wife's CR-V and have two hits on them.We're careful but not as careful when we park the CR-V.
I'm OCD with my car.I watch where I park.Sometimes it's the lonely car in the parking lot.
This car will only do 5K-6K per and really no supermarkets and such.
Probably would get the side moldings if the chrome strip wasn't there like pre '10 models.
No road trips planned.Just went on two in two days.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-20-12 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-19-12, 06:52 PM
RTSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent choice! I have the same combo in Ca. The Tungsten Peal is a great combo with the Pano roof and makes the car look sportier IMHO. The ES 350 is definetly a nice car and I believe somewhat underated. What LED's do you suggest? I would like to replace my interior lights as well. See the attached photo of my ride with body side molding. I'm thinking about buying a primer only OEM spoiler and sanding down a small portion of the center to fit with the puck on the trunk. I agree with you, the placement of the puck on the trunk was not a well thought out idea, several Lexus dealers refused to sell me the spoiler nor would entertain modifying the spoiler to fit.
Attached Thumbnails Back to a ES350!-imgp1924.jpg  
Old 03-20-12, 03:40 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

My neighbor's brother has a LS460 with the ML system. There is a big difference to the ES350, maybe it is the size of the interior versus the ES350 but it does sound better. Just noticed the puck. I wonder how Mercedes handles it with their panorama roof option on the E and S class.
Old 03-20-12, 04:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RTSM
Excellent choice! I have the same combo in Ca. The Tungsten Peal is a great combo with the Pano roof and makes the car look sportier IMHO. The ES 350 is definetly a nice car and I believe somewhat underated. What LED's do you suggest? I would like to replace my interior lights as well. See the attached photo of my ride with body side molding. I'm thinking about buying a primer only OEM spoiler and sanding down a small portion of the center to fit with the puck on the trunk. I agree with you, the placement of the puck on the trunk was not a well thought out idea, several Lexus dealers refused to sell me the spoiler nor would entertain modifying the spoiler to fit.
Yes,I agree the pano roof works well with the tungsten pearl.Light colors work better,IMO.
As I posted earlier,I like the IS smaller lip spoiler.
As far as the LEDs.choice.I went with 5K to keep the light white and not bluish like 6K.I buy mostly from VLEDS when they run a sale which is pretty often.
All the LEDs I'm using in the ES and going to use are out of my IS350.Did the swap back to regular bulbs before I traded it in.
Left the side mirror puddles in the IS350.A pain to change,IMO.

Front domes.
I went with these because I had a pair.Not too bright.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...57621-1-2.html

You can also use these which I'll use in the parking light(not blinkers)
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...22412-1-2.html

Rear dome.
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED-B...19299-1-2.html

Exterior choices I made and am making if interested.

Side mirror puddle lights
I used VLEDS 4 LED flanks before but read here the new version are too long so I'm trying these said better quality made in the USA Putco;s but they're pricey even with the Club Lexus CLLED 15% discount code.Ordered and haven't received them yet.
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/194-LED-Re...-p/280002w.htm

Fog lights.
These match up well with the HIDs but are mostly for aesthetics.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...22473-1-2.html

Reverse lights.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...-p9507296.html

My neighbor's brother has a LS460 with the ML system. There is a big difference to the ES350, maybe it is the size of the interior versus the ES350 but it does sound better. Just noticed the puck. I wonder how Mercedes handles it with their panorama roof option on the E and S class.
True on the interior size and the LS has i believe 5 more speakers.
I can't see why Toyota just didn't put the antenna on the rear window deck.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-20-12 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-20-12, 05:44 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nice car mate..i like the UL package look..
Old 03-20-12, 06:35 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

On the 2012 E350 Benz with panoramic roof, MB uses a black shark fin antenna on the glass roof.
Old 03-20-12, 06:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

On the 2012 E350 Benz with panoramic roof, MB uses a black shark fin antenna on the glass roof.

The UL has a black fin antenna but it seems it's only an antenna for the radio stations.Very odd.
Old 03-20-12, 07:36 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

My non Ultra 2011 has the shark fin, has satellite radio but no puck.
Old 03-20-12, 07:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

My non Ultra 2011 has the shark fin, has satellite radio but no puck.
As did my IS350.
It has to be something to do with the glass roof.
What?I don't know.
Old 03-20-12, 11:21 AM
AvsFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Car. Normally I'm not a big fan of an all black interior, but I do like the way the Saddle / Black looks. The Saddle brown blends well with the wood accents.
The UL has a black fin antenna but it seems it's only an antenna for the radio stations.Very odd.
According to the specs posted on the Lexus website the standard radio has an "in glass antenna". Presumably on the base ES the satellite radio / navigation subscriptions / Lexus Enform subscription share the shark fin antenna. Maybe the glass roof on the UL model causes reception problems with the satellite radio, but does not interfere with the navigation subscriptions / Lexus Enform subscription.
Old 03-20-12, 11:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AvsFan
Nice Car. Normally I'm not a big fan of an all black interior, but I do like the way the Saddle / Black looks. The Saddle brown blends well with the wood accents.

According to the specs posted on the Lexus website the standard radio has an "in glass antenna". Presumably on the base ES the satellite radio / navigation subscriptions / Lexus Enform subscription share the shark fin antenna. Maybe the glass roof on the UL model causes reception problems with the satellite radio, but does not interfere with the navigation subscriptions / Lexus Enform subscription.
Thanks,Avsfan and I agree on the black/saddle matching the wood.
So on the UL model,the fin works with Enform and NAV which makes sense.
It seems the satellite antenna box has to be attached to metal for better reception.

Quick Reply: Back to a ES350!