ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

New to the forum with a couple questions

Old 02-16-12, 07:00 AM
Jfstu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum with a couple questions

Hello all! I just picked up a 2007 ES350. I did a little searching but it seems most folks have the upgraded sound from the posts i read. I have what i guess is the basic system. In dash changer, separates in the doors up front and a single sub in the rear deck. No tweets in the dash. I am looking to keep the stock setup in the dash but will be replacing the speakers and installing aftermarket amplification. Does anyone have the pin-out diagram/wire color codes for the back of the in-dash unit? Also, what would you say is the best way to add an aux input to the system. Thanks in advance, Jeff.
Old 02-17-12, 04:07 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

it seems most folks have the upgraded sound from the posts i read
There are less than 10 people who have upgraded speakers, a couple have added a DVD/Nav aftermarket setup and I'm the only one that has replaced the head unit. Based on the number of aftermarket install kits sold from the only supplier, there's about a dozen TOTAL of us who have upgraded their head unit.

You can't connect an aftermarket amp to the head unit. Think of the head unit and factory amp as a single piece. They were made to work together. You either upgrade the head unit and use an adapter to work with the factory amp or you tap into the speak outputs in the trunk to feed your new amp.

You already have an aux input in the arm rest. There are a few aftermarket iPod/iPhone interfaces. What are you planning on using the aux input for?
Old 02-17-12, 05:06 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure, but the OP may have been refering to the Mark Levinson sound system when mentioning "upgraded sound."

Regardless, it does seem like most owners don't upgrade their sound systems. We found the standard sound system in our ES to be so much better than the Hondas we have owned that we aren't motivated to upgrade. OTOH, all Hondas need to be upgraded.
Old 02-17-12, 06:14 AM
Jfstu
Driver School Candidate

Default I have an 06 Accord, i know all about the horrible sound system!

Anyway, I was wondering where the amp is located if not under the passenger seat on the non, ML systems?
Old 02-17-12, 07:42 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Passenger side in the trunk.
Old 02-17-12, 07:49 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RickC5
Not sure, but the OP may have been refering to the Mark Levinson sound system when mentioning "upgraded sound."
I wasn't fully awake. But re-reading the post, I see that now.

Originally Posted by RickC5
We found the standard sound system in our ES to be so much better than the Hondas we have owned that we aren't motivated to upgrade. OTOH, all Hondas need to be upgraded.
That's why everyone is different. I find the standard sound system to be slightly above horrible. Even a front speaker swap makes a huge difference.
Old 02-17-12, 01:11 PM
Jfstu
Driver School Candidate

Default If....

Originally Posted by Robert_J
There are less than 10 people who have upgraded speakers, a couple have added a DVD/Nav aftermarket setup and I'm the only one that has replaced the head unit. Based on the number of aftermarket install kits sold from the only supplier, there's about a dozen TOTAL of us who have upgraded their head unit.

You can't connect an aftermarket amp to the head unit. Think of the head unit and factory amp as a single piece. They were made to work together. You either upgrade the head unit and use an adapter to work with the factory amp or you tap into the speak outputs in the trunk to feed your new amp.

You already have an aux input in the arm rest. There are a few aftermarket iPod/iPhone interfaces. What are you planning on using the aux input for?
How does the amp communicate with the amp? The only problem I see is if the volume and attenuation is controlled with the amp instead of the head, like on most BMW's. If thats the case I just need to use the speaker level outs from the stock amp. Are they full raneg going to passive crossovers or multi channel/active crossed outputs? What I would love to see is a pin diagram for that stock amp in the trunk.. Anyone have that diagram? I would imagine they use the same amp in many different models. Also, there is no aux input in my car, just a power outlet.
Old 02-17-12, 03:56 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

At least the front speaker outputs are full range. Again, this is why adding a new head unit helped the sound so much. I use my Pioneer's crossover to filter out the lows before sending it to the factory amp. That amp is very capable when it doesn't have to reproduce 80hz and below.

Aux input for the factory radio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN6N8pTrKNU

I don't have the time right now but I'll zip up the tech manuals for the 350 and send them to you. PM me your real e-mail address. The detailed instructions for getting to the amp as well as pin-out/wire color are in there.