ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Xenon's start flickering, then cut out (come on again when I turn lights off then on)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 04:03 PM
KA1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon's start flickering, then cut out (come on again when I turn lights off then on)

Hey guys, any help with this would be appreciated.

I've noticed on my Mom's '07 ES, the HID headlights will come on, then randomly cut out (usually pretty quickly), and when I turn the lights off-then-on, they come back on, and might stay for a while longer. Then, one or both might cut out again.

Anyone know what this might be? Thanks.
Old 02-11-12, 06:12 PM
CDNlexES
Driver School Candidate

replace the lamps. defective/broken lamps would shut off when it heats up. i got mine for $80 a pair +$20 to install. you can even DIY the installation.
Old 02-12-12, 02:25 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CDNlexEX is correct, your bulbs need replacing.

It's easy to replace yourself. The part will set you back $240 though (OEM through the dealer).

1. Remove the plastic HID socket cover by turning it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable by turning counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pulling towards you.

3. There's a U-shaped set spring retainer that has kind of curled circle ends. This holds the bulb assembly in place by locking into notches on either side at roughly 11:00 & 1:00 on the housing. Pinch those two curled ends towards each other and pull them out and down to clear the notches and swing the retainer downward. This will release the bulb in the very center of the unit.

4. Pull the bulb out by it's base. It's about 3" long and comes straight out. Don't touch the glass if you intend to reuse the bulb.

5. The Toyota HID bulb is part # 90981-20024 (for my 2007 ES350).

6. Holding the new bulb by the base and without touching the glass, push the bulb back into the hole. There are notches & tabs in the base and mount that must match. Just rotate the bulb until it catches.

7. Reset the retaining spring by swinging it up and pushing it in while pinching the curled ends a bit. Release the ends when they lock into the metal notches on the housing. Make sure the retainer is secure before proceeding.

8. Reattach the metal socket fitting by pushing in at and turning clockwise 45 degrees from roughly a 10:00 to a 12:00 position.

9. Reattach the plastic cover by turning it clockwise.

That's all there is to it.
Old 02-12-12, 04:53 AM
KA1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much!

Weird thing is, if I turn them off then back on , they might stay on for hours? Still probably the bulb?

Also, would the CPO Warranty cover this?

Thanks again.
Old 02-12-12, 05:08 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

You will probably need new bulbs.

"End of life cycling" is a phenomena associated with HID bulbs as they age.

Check the paragraph titled "End of life" at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...ischarge_lamps
Old 02-12-12, 07:05 PM
Crusader
Driver School Candidate

Other than the price, is there any difference in after market low beam HID headlights and the OEM ones?

I am currently experiencing the same problems described above.
Old 02-12-12, 07:15 PM
KA1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. Would a CPO Warranty cover this by Lexus?
Old 02-13-12, 01:23 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KA1
Thanks for the info. Would a CPO Warranty cover this by Lexus?
You can ask, but the CPO warranty clearly states it won't cover wear items such as bulbs, tires, or brakes.

The only real issue I see with going with an aftermarket bulb is if you're only replacing one, there's a good chance it won't match.

If you go OEM you can just replace the one and it'll be fine. If you go aftermarket plan on buying a pair of bulbs unless you want your car looking ghetto.
Old 02-13-12, 02:49 PM
CDNlexES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Crusader
Other than the price, is there any difference in after market low beam HID headlights and the OEM ones?

I am currently experiencing the same problems described above.
so far so good. i replaced mine in nov.
Old 02-14-12, 05:17 AM
Crusader
Driver School Candidate

Did you replace the ballasts as well or just the bulbs?
Old 02-14-12, 04:08 PM
CDNlexES
Driver School Candidate

the bulbs only
Old 02-20-12, 11:24 AM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely the bulb, I had the same issue and replaced it based on suggestions here.

Amazon has the OEM HID bulb for $50 here
Old 03-12-12, 12:29 PM
Crusader
Driver School Candidate

Dreyfus:

I have read your directions regarding changing the HID bulbs. The first part of removing the plastic HID socket was easy. Not sure about removing the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable. I can see the curly heads of the spring at 11:00 and 1:00. Are you saying that the whole housing surrounding the bulb must come out or just the small 1 inch by 1 inch metal piece attached to the braided cable must come out. Also, how can that fitting and the bulb come out when you only have about 3 inches or less room to work because the relay fuse box is right there in back of the bulb area? Any further help and or pictures or video of changing the bulb would certainly help. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-12, 05:21 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusader
Dreyfus:

I have read your directions regarding changing the HID bulbs. The first part of removing the plastic HID socket was easy. Not sure about removing the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable. I can see the curly heads of the spring at 11:00 and 1:00. Are you saying that the whole housing surrounding the bulb must come out or just the small 1 inch by 1 inch metal piece attached to the braided cable must come out. Also, how can that fitting and the bulb come out when you only have about 3 inches or less room to work because the relay fuse box is right there in back of the bulb area? Any further help and or pictures or video of changing the bulb would certainly help. Thanks in advance!
The smooth silver cap at the end of the braid and the attached plastic bulb-holder and the bulb come out as you can see in the picture below. The metal catches for the clips, the curly-headed spring clips and everything around that is stationary. Make sure you note how the clips snap into the catches before you remove everything so you can picture how to put them back. They can be tough to lever into the grove where they belong.

I haven't had to replace the driver-side bulb, but the clearance for the passenger-side is just as tight due to the a/c compressor. It can be done!
Attached Thumbnails Xenon's start flickering, then cut out (come on again when I turn lights off then on)-es350bulb.jpg  
Old 03-15-12, 11:05 AM
Crusader
Driver School Candidate

Dreyfus:

Thanks for your help (great directions posted earlier and the picture). Today I was able to remove the bulb and then put it all back together. Not much room to work with but your are correct -- it can be done!

Now, I've read all about the different D4S options including Ultinon, Garax, etc. and have concluded that the Philips 4DS 35W 4300k is probably the best option. I've checked online and it seems Amazon has the best price. They do say that they are Philips 4DS Xenon bulbs. However, they do not mention "XenEco" which is printed on the bulb base. Are these Philips all the same -- (XenEco) or is there a difference? Have you had experience buying these online and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help! My Lexus dealer wanted $705.00 for doing this!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Xenon's start flickering, then cut out (come on again when I turn lights off then on)