ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Replacing speakers in 08 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 10:09 PM
SumDumGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing speakers in 08 ES350

Hello all. I am new to Club Lexus but have been reading many posts regarding speaker replacement on the ML equipped 08 ES350. Some said that you can not do it, and others said they replaced speakers with great results. My ML system sounds HORRIBLE. Let me tell everyone what my plan is, then you can hit me back with whether it will work or not: I plan to install a pair of coax 2-way 6x9s (75 watts RMS) in the front doors, coax 2-way 6.5" (75 watt RMS) in the back doors connected to the ML amp. I then want to remove the ML sub and install a 8" (or maybe a 10" with a little modification to the back deck) pushed by it's own amp. I have been researching this for about a week, and there is just nothing definative out there. If you have any thoughts, I am all ears (or eyes, in this case!)
Old 02-11-12, 03:33 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I plan to install a pair of coax 2-way 6x9s (75 watts RMS) in the front doors
Are you going to disconnect the dash speakers? After replacing my front speakers with a pair of quality components, it was a major improvement. The bigger improvement came when I replaced the head unit. But mine was the standard audio system.

I then want to remove the ML sub and install a 8" (or maybe a 10" with a little modification to the back deck) pushed by it's own amp.
This one was HUGE. I went with a custom built 12" in its own enclosure. I didn't want the rear deck to rattle. I have a 1,000w amp pushing the sub.

I have been researching this for about a week, and there is just nothing definative out there. If you have any thoughts, I am all ears (or eyes, in this case!)
You are correct, there is little information out there on the audio upgrades for this car. It's marketed to an older crowd and many aren't concerned about sound quality. At 43, my wife and I just don't fit that mold though. Have you read through my upgrade thread? I link to the other guy that upgraded just his speakers and the guy that added the nav DVD player. We are the only 3 posting any details on audio upgrades.
Old 02-11-12, 04:42 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think that there must be car audio shops that have done this before, esp in CA. Went from ML system in my previous 2007 to standard system in new 2011. As I drive the car, there IS a big difference between them. So, this is making me think that I should also look at upgrading the system. Looked at the Crutchfield website for replacement speakers.
Old 02-11-12, 06:59 AM
SumDumGuy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your response. I, too, am 43 but I love my music loud.
I originally had not intended to disconnect the dash speakers. I thought they were strictly tweeters, and I would need those highs to compliment the door speakers. I dont want to mess with the head unit or any other wiring, so I was just going to "plug-and-play". I can't imagine it sounding any worse. Maybe the 2008 Mark Levinson has defects, or maybe they guy putting my car together that day at the assembly line was hung over, but it sounds tinny, not deep and rich, and my driver's side door speaker rattles. When your wife tells you your stereo sounds like crap and you need to do something about it, THAT'S BAD!!

What about the other rear deck speakers? Those are like, 3" mids or something? One of the other problems I have is there is not enough sound coming from the back. I have my fader adjusted about 2/3rds toward the back in order to hear sound all around. With the fader set in the middle, you can't hear the back at all.

Maybe I will just roll the dice and see what I get, and keep the thread up to date with my results. Someone has to make the plunge! If nothing else, there will be some serious mistakes made that I will be able to keep other unsuspecting new Lexus owners from making.

Stay tuned.....
Old 02-11-12, 07:16 AM
SumDumGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Are you going to disconnect the dash speakers? After replacing my front speakers with a pair of quality components, it was a major improvement.
I wasn't planning on disconnecting those. I thought they were only tweeters and I would need them for the highs to compliment the door speakers. If you don't mind, what door speakers did you go with? I am looking at Boston Acoustics SR95 for the front and BA SR65 for the back doors. Did you change the rear deck speakers as well (the 3" ones, not the sub)?

Originally Posted by Robert_J
This one was HUGE. I went with a custom built 12" in its own enclosure. I didn't want the rear deck to rattle. I have a 1,000w amp pushing the sub.
When you did this, did you remove the stock ML sub or leave it in? Do you get good, hard bass from the trunk? Does it pass through the seat back or do you have an opening somewhere?
Old 02-11-12, 02:36 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to chime in here as I have grown tired of reading these threads with endless questions. From what I've seen here on CL I believe that I'm the only person that has upgraded the entire audio system on their ES. I can't really help with an ML upgrade as I only have nav and the "premium audio"

As audio upgrades are concerned the front dash only has L/R tweeters from the components in the doors . The rear deck holds a 8" subwoofer that extends from the rear deck into the trunk. Front doors hold a 6.5" speakers as do the rear doors. Both these sets are held in by a plastic housing which the cone is actually attached to... One of these housings is 9 1/4" and oblong shaped I believe it came from the front doors.
Replacing speakers in 08 ES350-l6pdo.jpg

Last edited by xanderES; 02-11-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-11-12, 04:06 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do understand very well why people are not completely satisfy with the original ML audio. I too, have modify some component and hope not to mess with the original equipement.

I added an amplifier and a 12 inch sub by disconnecing the oem one and tap a LOC to run the sub. I also want to replace the front door speakers with some good component, but i don't know how to tap to the speakers wires for a LOC and an second amplifier.

I think that with one amp (oem) running the existing speakers, one amp (350w rms) for the aftermarket sub and one amp (300w rms) for the components on the doors, i should be good for an all around sound. I' m still wondering how to tap the component with a LOC to a separate amplifier and wonder if all three amps can be run with the original battery and alternator !!
Old 02-11-12, 09:30 PM
SumDumGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xanderES
I would like to chime in here as I have grown tired of reading these threads with endless questions. From what I've seen here on CL I believe that I'm the only person that has upgraded the entire audio system on their ES. I can't really help with an ML upgrade as I only have nav and the "premium audio"

As audio upgrades are concerned the front dash only has L/R tweeters from the components in the doors . The rear deck holds a 8" subwoofer that extends from the rear deck into the trunk. Front doors hold a 6.5" speakers as do the rear doors. Both these sets are held in by a plastic housing which the cone is actually attached to... One of these housings is 9 1/4" and oblong shaped I believe it came from the front doors.
Well, sorry you are tired of reading these posts, but that is what a forum is for. The reason for all of the questions, is because there is no information anywhere on technical specs for speakers and speaker upgrades. The ML system has more than tweeters in the dash, there are 3" mid-range speakers as well. The front door speakers are 6x9s; hence the 6 1/2" speaker in the oval mount in your picture. The ML amp has a channel for each pair of speakers pushing about 330 watts. I know all of this from reading other peoples' posts that have forged ahead and risked jacking up their $40,000 cars in hopes of a better sound system. That is why I am going to risk jacking up my car. So I can impart whatever experience I can glean from this endeavor on other ES drivers. So, all of you ES driving audio enthusiasts out there...keep up the good work! I am on the edge of my seat for more information. And as I said before, stay tuned. Once I start ripping my car apart, I will try to document anything new I find out. Thank you all for your detailed posts.
Old 02-12-12, 02:39 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Yes, the ML system has both mids and tweeters in the dash. If you replace the speakers, I suggest you replace both the dash and door speakers with either a 2 way or 3 way component set. Hide the crossovers in the dash like I did. The factory wiring feeds the dash first and then goes to the doors which made it the obvious location for the crossovers.

Here's a 3 way system that would probably sound great - http://www.cdtaudio.com/series/cl_series/cl_632.htm . Getting it to fit will be a different story. Then again, that's why you need to know how to fabricate brackets as needed. Having both mids and tweeters in the dash will really pull your soundstage up.
Old 02-12-12, 02:56 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SumDumGuy
I wasn't planning on disconnecting those. I thought they were only tweeters and I would need them for the highs to compliment the door speakers. If you don't mind, what door speakers did you go with? I am looking at Boston Acoustics SR95 for the front and BA SR65 for the back doors. Did you change the rear deck speakers as well (the 3" ones, not the sub)?

When you did this, did you remove the stock ML sub or leave it in? Do you get good, hard bass from the trunk? Does it pass through the seat back or do you have an opening somewhere?
I went with Phoenix Gold components. I didn't touch the back doors because I really don't care what they sound like. I fade to the front so that I can't hear them anyway. I don't have deck speakers with the standard audio system.

Yes, the stock sub is still there for two reasons. 1. It would have been a pain in the rear to remove it. 2. I can still use it. How you ask? When I remove the aftermarket sub for more trunk space, I can adjust the radio's high pass filter to send bass notes to the factory amp that will then go to the factory sub. It's a complete letdown but it will give me a little low end when I have a full trunk.

There are no mods to the trunk area. I just dropped in a box with a custom sub and let it rip. It completely fills the cabin with bass. Extremely low bass. But that's how I requested the sub be built for me. My builder knows what I like and hits the nail on the head every time.

Here's my build log. Ask me anything thing you want and I'll be happy to answer. I can even take current pics if needed. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-a-2007-a.html
Old 02-12-12, 07:41 PM
SumDumGuy
Driver School Candidate

I really appreciate all the information. My speaker project is currently on hold until I get the door trim tools to remove my door panels. Then, I am going to pull a speaker from each door (front and back) and see how much speaker I can fit without much modification. Then I will start making decisions on whether to go with component sets or stick with 3 way speakers with an additional sub and amp. Might be a few days until I get busy, but I do have a long weekend next week, so we'll see what happens. Thanks again.
Old 02-13-12, 05:57 PM
mrgoodbar
Driver School Candidate

Hey, everyone, I'm new, this is my first post...anyway...

I have the standard "premium audio" with Nav (no ML) but I am going to upgrade to the following next week

Focal 165 KR2 Speakers (Front)
Focal 165 KR Speakers (Rear)
Alpine PDX-F6 Amplifier
JBL MS-8 Processor

No Sub-woofer upgrade for now.

All Professionally Installed.

I'll Keep you guys posted on how it goes/sounds.

-09 Lexus ES 350
Old 02-15-12, 01:07 PM
SumDumGuy
Driver School Candidate

That sounds pretty awesome. Look forward to hearing how it goes and maybe seeing some pics of the professional install.
Old 02-17-12, 01:30 PM
SumDumGuy
Driver School Candidate

For anyone following this post, I started tearing into the front doors today. Got the panels off really easy and pulled out the speakers. (6x9 component woofers) You can absolutely install off-the-shelf 6x9s in the door. I removed the speaker and got to looking at the factory mount. On the face of the speaker, if you peel back the foam gasket, you will see torx head screws that hold the speaker to the plastic mount. Once I removed those screws and disconnected the wiring harness, they came right off. There are two tabs on the mount that I cut off so the speaker will fit flush on the mount. Then, used the same torx head screws to secure the new speaker to the mount. Done deal!! They screw right back into the door with no special wiring jumpers, special hardware or anything. I just happened to have a cheap pair of pioneer 6x9s in the garage. I am going to plug them up and see what happens. They are 3 way speakers, not component, so I dont have too much faith that it will sound great. I also made sure to double check the mounting depth, and both speakers (old set and new set) are identical. The Mark Levinson speakers I took out are the cheapest looking pieces of garbage I have ever seen!! My $30 pioneers are so much better looking. The MLs are paper cones with a 1 1/2" diameter magnet. The speakers I tore out of my son's 95 Camry were better! If you would like to see pics, let me know.
Old 02-17-12, 03:10 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SumDumGuy
For anyone following this post, I started tearing into the front doors today. Got the panels off really easy and pulled out the speakers. (6x9 component woofers) You can absolutely install off-the-shelf 6x9s in the door. I removed the speaker and got to looking at the factory mount. On the face of the speaker, if you peel back the foam gasket, you will see torx head screws that hold the speaker to the plastic mount. Once I removed those screws and disconnected the wiring harness, they came right off. There are two tabs on the mount that I cut off so the speaker will fit flush on the mount. Then, used the same torx head screws to secure the new speaker to the mount. Done deal!! They screw right back into the door with no special wiring jumpers, special hardware or anything. I just happened to have a cheap pair of pioneer 6x9s in the garage. I am going to plug them up and see what happens. They are 3 way speakers, not component, so I dont have too much faith that it will sound great. I also made sure to double check the mounting depth, and both speakers (old set and new set) are identical. The Mark Levinson speakers I took out are the cheapest looking pieces of garbage I have ever seen!! My $30 pioneers are so much better looking. The MLs are paper cones with a 1 1/2" diameter magnet. The speakers I tore out of my son's 95 Camry were better! If you would like to see pics, let me know.
YES! Pics please!!! Especially some on removing the door panels and the work you did on the factory mounts. I would totally be willing to make this swap if it's easy.

Quick Reply: Replacing speakers in 08 ES350