ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

New owner need some advice mods etc!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 01:10 PM
Slowdown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner need some advice mods etc!

Hey all I recently had a car accident on my 09 BMW 335 so i purchased a more comfy and rommy car.
Choose the 08 ES350. First of all the ride is really smooth and comfy maybe too comfy.
So far the smoothness is the only thing i like about the car.

I know when i purchased it i wasnt expecting performance a whole lot but the body roll at high speeds and lane changing manuver seems very boaty and sometimes scary. Car seems to be so high not sure if its because i had a coupe before this but it scares me to go over 90mph at times.Steering wheel feels super light...

Also the lowend power im not really happy with. But i know im just getting use to the car and its a change from a sports car as my previous car but is there something i can do to fix the issues im having?

Would lowering the car improve the body roll alot? And has anyone done "work" to the ES350 to gain some performance?

Also i didnt get a navi option. What double din or single din aftermarket would fit and how hard is the installation process?

What are mods done to this car to improve performance and etc..?

Also the inside doom lights are so dark i cant see anything. What are my options?

Thank you!
Old 01-14-12, 01:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

What you are describing are characteristics of the ES350. Did you consider the Infiniti G37, Acura TL, another BMW etc.?

Some of you issues can be solved to a certain extent with suspension and tire mods, but it is what it is with the ES. Good luck with your mods. Keep us posted on what you do
Old 01-14-12, 01:58 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you make any mods - please post up here with the results! I'd love to be able to reduce body roll too. I just picked up an ES350 and would like to reduce body roll.

From what I've read, Camry parts will fit the car. Ultra Racing has a rear swaybar and a front strut bar - but you might have to remove the engine cover and underbody covers to install them.

They make coilovers, but you might remove too much comfyness if you install coilovers.

With the stock 17x7 rims you can probably go to 225's vice 215's and gain some traction, but it won't reduce body roll.

Also, I saw the K&N intake on a Camry will fit on the ES350, there's some posts here on CL from someone who has it.

http://www.nextgentuning.com/ has some of the parts, but you need to look under the Camry. The ES350 does have coilovers listed there if you want to lower the ride.
Old 01-15-12, 11:42 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What you are describing are characteristics of the ES350. Did you consider the Infiniti G37, Acura TL, another BMW etc.?

Some of you issues can be solved to a certain extent with suspension and tire mods, but it is what it is with the ES. Good luck with your mods. Keep us posted on what you do
I agree with LexBob2. Your complaints about the ES are very characteristic of the car. For sure, the ES is NOT a sports car. Most owners but the ES for what it is, not what it is not.

As Ryan mentioned, many Camry pieces will fit the ES. All you will need is an bottomless pit of money, as there isn't a specific recipe for improving the ride, and you may wind up making many (expensive) changes before your ES replicates your old BMW.

Good luck with all that!
Old 01-15-12, 12:02 PM
Rob757
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
I agree with LexBob2. Your complaints about the ES are very characteristic of the car. For sure, the ES is NOT a sports car. Most owners but the ES for what it is, not what it is not.

As Ryan mentioned, many Camry pieces will fit the ES. All you will need is an bottomless pit of money, as there isn't a specific recipe for improving the ride, and you may wind up making many (expensive) changes before your ES replicates your old BMW.

Good luck with all that!
I am also trying to do some suspension work, coilover in fact, this is not to make the car a race car by any means however i am a very attention to details kinda guy and with 20's i have a pretty decent wheel gap i want to get rid of. im looking to drop the car about 2 in. i know this will take away from the ride quality which im ok with as long as i lose the body roll and the wheel gap. what i would like to know is does it matter what model camry you go with for coilovers?
Old 01-15-12, 12:39 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The Camry and the ES do share the same platform but be aware that the ES is 250-300 lbs heavier than the Camry. Just as an excercise a few months ago I checked the factory part numbers for the 2007 to 2011 Camry V6 (including the SE) and the ES 350 for the front struts, the rear struts, the springs, the front stabilizer bar, and the rear stab. bar.......they are all different. So with any aftermarket suspension parts interchangeability between the Camry and ES 350........be careful.