ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Steering Wheel Does Not Return

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 08:21 AM
lfurr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Does Not Return

Hey folks, I purchases a 2009 ES350 (Starfire Pearl) on Tuesday. I searched but did not find anything in the forum on what I am about to post. Here's the problem - and I want to make sure it's not just on my car. The turning radius on this vehicle is wonderful. HOWEVER, I noticed that when I turn the steering wheel ENTIRELY to the left or right (like while parking in a tight space, turning around, whatever), the steering wheel just kind of "stays" there when you let go. So if I am in a parking lot turning sharply to go the other way, for example, if I let go of the wheel to let it return to center, it does not move! I have to kind of help it along before I can let go and have it return on its own. Hope that makes sense. Is this common for this vehicle? Thanks!!
Old 12-16-11, 08:39 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2008 ES350 doesn't seem to share this trait... I would take it to the dealership and show them what's happening.
Old 12-16-11, 04:29 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Agree with mlacomb--That's not right. Take it to the dealer.
Old 12-19-11, 09:11 PM
marvinje
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 08 ES 350, and I think I know what you are talking about, I've had the front end aligned in hopes that this would remedy the problem, but it didn't and surpisingly when I took it in for the 40,000 mile scheduled maintenance, they did not mention this to me.
Old 12-20-11, 05:50 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've found in dealing with dealerships in the past is that you have to tell them about the issue. I've had issues with ball joints/suspension components on other cars in the past, and all of them got past the alignment stage without them mentioning an issue. Definitely take it to the dealer and show them in the car; have them grab one of their loaners at the same time and walk through the same scenario. If they both react differently - and they should, that's your cue to ask for a repair since obviously something isn't right.
Old 10-20-23, 09:10 PM
amir7speed
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lfurr
Hey folks, I purchases a 2009 ES350 (Starfire Pearl) on Tuesday. I searched but did not find anything in the forum on what I am about to post. Here's the problem - and I want to make sure it's not just on my car. The turning radius on this vehicle is wonderful. HOWEVER, I noticed that when I turn the steering wheel ENTIRELY to the left or right (like while parking in a tight space, turning around, whatever), the steering wheel just kind of "stays" there when you let go. So if I am in a parking lot turning sharply to go the other way, for example, if I let go of the wheel to let it return to center, it does not move! I have to kind of help it along before I can let go and have it return on its own. Hope that makes sense. Is this common for this vehicle? Thanks!!
mine has the same problem
Old 12-11-23, 01:08 PM
Lexura16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had similar/identical situation with my 2005 Toyota 4Runner a few years back. It has an intermediate steering shaft connecting the shaft from the steering wheel to the pinion stub from the rack & pinion assembly. The connecting hardware at both ends of this IS shaft are small u joints and due to their locations do not see regular maintenance like a dab of oil/grease now and then. They rust and the tiny bearings at the joints get stiff from neglect, so they hinder the steering wheel from returning to centre after a right or left turn without help from the driver. The problem was solved by spraying/squirting oil and greasing up the whole joint and it returned to normal after. Check your steering shaft for u joints. Lift up front of vehicle and turn steering wheel from full left to full right. If it takes some effort to turn, look for rusty joints. With the weight of wheels off the ground, normal operating steering wheel should turn effortlessly like hot knife thro butter. Hope this helps.