ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wiper is hitting pillar on driver side

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 01:34 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiper is hitting pillar on driver side, Still not fixed

The top end of the wiper is hitting the pillar on the driver side... when wiping slowly, it does not hit it, but it does extend all the way to the edge of the windshield. The bottom of the wiper is about half an inch from reaching the edge of the windshield which should be normal.

So when it rains hard, it keeps hitting the pillar and i hear thump thump thump, which will probably chip away some paint from the pillar soon...

Is this a known issue for the ES350? Is there a fix for this? btw, its a 2008 model.

Last edited by azncapcom; 12-27-11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 03:22 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue, will probably take it to the dealer at some point...
Old 12-15-11, 03:56 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The wiper arm attaching nut needs to come off and the wiper reset into position. Dealer or gas station guy can do it. Happened to me during rain driving on Interstate 80 a few years ago. Destroyed the wiper blade and the Cleveland Metro Lexus dealer ship took me right in and adjusted / replaced wiper blade.
Old 12-15-11, 04:27 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

im guessing the dealer does not charge for this service?
Old 12-16-11, 04:20 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

$60 for the wiper blade, if I recall. N/C for the service but at $60, there is a charge for the service built into the part. And, it returned to doing this a few months after. My local garage guy fixed it so that it never happened again. He had to somehow rough up the attachment to create more bite into the wiper arm. Traded the car in this past October for 2011 model. Happened in summer of 2009.
Old 12-16-11, 01:29 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Im hoping my extended warranty will cover this. I called the dealer to make an appointment, they'll have to see it first before they can tell me if its covered.
Old 12-16-11, 04:49 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

My warranty did not cover the wiper blade.
Old 12-16-11, 06:12 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

my wiper blade is fine, so hopefully they don't charge for adjusting it. I did notice that my paint was chipped from the wiper hitting it...
Old 12-19-11, 07:10 AM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

So i went to the dealer, they said its not covered under the extended warranty and said it may take up to an hour of labour... which is $132... are you kidding me? 132 to adjust the wiper?

How do i go about adjusting it myself? I read that there are 2 bolts where you can adjust? i didn't really see any bolts, but i did see 2 pins at the middle of the wiper, is that it? how would i adjust those?
Old 12-19-11, 07:22 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

My local garage guy did it in less than 15 minutes and was gratis. I would take it to the local gas station in your area. It's not that complicated. Or a body shop guy if you know one.
Old 12-27-11, 09:53 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

How did they adjust it? the garage i took it too, they unscrewed one bolt at the bottom of the metal arm and lowered the position and rescrewed it on. It worked fine when i was there, but after using the wipers all day from the snow today, it has reverted back to hitting the pillar again...

Here are a couple pics, one showing the bolt that was unscrewed to move the arm lower, and the other showing how the wiper is wiping too far on the top side, the bottom side seems fine. so its somewhat making a slant...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...122800108.jpg/

The red line shows where the wiper position is when all the way up.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...122800110.jpg/

I need this fixed asap as winter is here and i dont want my wipers to break from hitting the pillar constantly.
Old 12-27-11, 10:01 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

it might have been readjusted when it was in the summer position ie lower position, and as snow accumulated in the well the wipers were forced up, the hitting started again. Readjust it yourself and play with the summer & winter position to make sure they both clear the pillar.
Old 12-27-11, 10:06 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nevernu
it might have been readjusted when it was in the summer position ie lower position, and as snow accumulated in the well the wipers were forced up, the hitting started again. Readjust it yourself and play with the summer & winter position to make sure they both clear the pillar.
yes it was adjusted in the summer position. Should i adjust it in the winter position instead?
Old 12-27-11, 10:08 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

well whatever position you adjust it in make it lower than what it was
Old 12-27-11, 11:11 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

it turns out the wiper didn't keep the adjusted position cause the nut wasn't tight enough. I only realized this after i readjusted and when i put the wiper on fastest speed, it just completely lost contact and the wiper was stuck in the middle of the windshield while the other wiper was wiping on top of it... scared me for a second.

I readjusted it and made sure it was extra tight. Just wondering if there should be a washer of some sort between the nut and the arm?

I adjusted it in the summer position to the lowest possible position. Now it wipes fine, but once i spray some windshield fluid and up the speed, it starts going too far, its not going all the way to the pillar now since i lowered it but i really dont like the inconsistancy. After about 5-6 wipes after spraying the fluid, it'll go back to wiping to the point that i want.

Just wondering does everyone elses go extra far when the windshield is wet or when increasing the speed? I never noticed this on my previous cars before. I understand there is less friction after spraying the fluid, but doesn't the motor control how far it should go?

Quick Reply: Wiper is hitting pillar on driver side