ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

No road hazard warranty on tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 02:41 PM
Cruiseman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No road hazard warranty on tires

I have a "new" ES350 with 1400 miles and picked up a screw in one of my tires today (damn!). I was really surprised to learn that Lexus does not provide a road hazard warranty on the new Michelin tires. I am out $250 for a new tire.
Old 12-14-11, 04:01 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sucks big time!
I noticed a bulged sidewall lump (pot hole damage) on the front Continental my aunt's new Benz has. The dealer played her violin music like I figured. She had it replaced and of course she hit another pot hole and had to replace the other front tire.
Moral of the story is replace them at a tire store with a full replacement warranty. Discount Tire has replaced 6 tires for me at no charge and I drive a lot of miles....no mileage limits.
Old 12-14-11, 04:36 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Lack of a road hazard warranty on new car tires is quite common. The car manufacturers contract with the tire manufacturers for the lowest price--like $6-10 per tire--maybe a bit more for high-performance tires. I'm sure the price per tire would be MUCH higher if it included a road hazard warranty from the tire manufacturer. Or, the car price would be higher if the warranty were provided by the car manufacturer. After all, it's all about the money.

From what I have seen all my life, road hazard warrantys are ONLY available through large tire stores. It's the tire store that issues the warranty, not the tire manufacturer.

Se la vie!
Old 12-14-11, 07:59 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
Lack of a road hazard warranty on new car tires is quite common. The car manufacturers contract with the tire manufacturers for the lowest price--like $6-10 per tire--maybe a bit more for high-performance tires. I'm sure the price per tire would be MUCH higher if it included a road hazard warranty from the tire manufacturer. Or, the car price would be higher if the warranty were provided by the car manufacturer. After all, it's all about the money.

From what I have seen all my life, road hazard warrantys are ONLY available through large tire stores. It's the tire store that issues the warranty, not the tire manufacturer.

Se la vie!
I was offered a road hazard warranty when I purchased my ES350 new so it's not just big tire stores that offer them. I declined along with the extended warranty etc.

Odd that a single screw ruined the whole tire. Usually that sort of thing can be patched. I've picked up many a screw and nail and not had to replace the tire.
Old 12-15-11, 06:02 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkayca
I was offered a road hazard warranty when I purchased my ES350 new so it's not just big tire stores that offer them. I declined along with the extended warranty etc.

Odd that a single screw ruined the whole tire. Usually that sort of thing can be patched. I've picked up many a screw and nail and not had to replace the tire.
That's a new one! Must be a new offer from your dealer.

Some new-ish regulation prevents a tire from being repaired if the hole is in or even near the sidewall. The hole must be more-or-less in the middle of the tread. Too much flex in the sidewall which leads to the repair failing. I've had the same thing happen to me--hole near the edge of the tread = new tire.
Old 12-16-11, 04:48 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have taken new cars to a major tire store (here in Houston) and have bought their road hazard protection for my tires. As long as your tires pass their inspection and tolerances, you can buy their warranty.
Old 12-16-11, 05:38 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I just negotiated this in with the deal.
Old 12-16-11, 05:54 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SatComm302
I have taken new cars to a major tire store (here in Houston) and have bought their road hazard protection for my tires. As long as your tires pass their inspection and tolerances, you can buy their warranty.
Now that you mentioned this, I do recall hearing that people have done this. Actually a good answer for folks that are prone to encountering road hazards.