ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

New ES 350 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 07:59 AM
LexLuger85
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New ES 350 Owner

Hey guys, just wanted to say hi. I'm the proud new owner of a silver 2007 es 350. This car is a dream compared to my late Infiniti Q45. I just wish I had navi in this car :-(. Are there any aftermarket options besides those portable GPS unit?
Old 12-10-11, 09:42 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome and congrats on the ES!!..what year was the Q45..
Share some pictures of the ES
Old 12-10-11, 10:33 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLuger85
Hey guys, just wanted to say hi. I'm the proud new owner of a silver 2007 es 350. This car is a dream compared to my late Infiniti Q45. I just wish I had navi in this car :-(. Are there any aftermarket options besides those portable GPS unit?
Welcome aboard, although I'm as new as you. We bought our 2008 ES on Tuesday. Ours is also sort of a silver color (like a light amethyst?) with black leather.

FWIW--We've had a Garmin Nuvi 780 portable GPS for several years, and our initial impression of the NAV system in our ES is that it is not nearly as intiuitive and easy-to-use as the Garmin. It can't find our house (misses it by about 300 yards?) and it disables itself from accepting input once the car is in gear/moving, which is most frustrating. Plus the display is radically different, showing the road from an aerial perspective rather than from the driver's perspective. I'm sure we'll get used to it, but it has a big learning curve.
Old 12-10-11, 11:44 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexLuger85
It has been done - just do a little searching. Here ya go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...installed.html
Old 12-11-11, 07:58 AM
LexLuger85
Driver School Candidate

@imherenow It was a 99 q45t. I loved that car but it was time for an upgrade. I'll have pics of the new Lex soon

@madmax thanks for the link
Old 12-12-11, 11:04 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-a-2007-a.html

The Pioneer head unit I installed also has a navigation option but it isn't cheap. It's about $400 more after all the radio upgrades. But that radio will also take the input of a navigation app on the iPhone and display it on the screen. It's cheaper than the nav upgrade on the radio but it still isn't cheap.
Old 12-13-11, 12:10 PM
kls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with RickC5 - the Lexus nav system is designed to frustrate. I can pick up a Garmin and intuitively get it working in a couple of minutes. I've had my Lexus for about 6 months and I still can't work it effectively. You could buy a dozen Garmins for the price of the Lexus system and as a bonus - they'll work.
Old 12-13-11, 01:00 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Tom Tom GPS in my '11 Impala and have the factory one in '11 ES350. You are right, easier to utilize the Tom Tom than the factory but it looks better in the Lexus to have the built in one. I have noticed no more pressing the legal tab to get into the map / radio etc like my 2007. Every time you started the car, that need for approval screen came up.
Old 12-13-11, 03:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The new generation nav in my 2010 is an improvement over the previous generation, but it does have some quirks. I use Enform, eDestination and Destination Assist quite a bit, but they are subscription based.

One thing that bugs me is the cost to update maps and POI's. It costs $200-$300 depending on the labor costs at dealerships. That's too high consdiering all of the competition from smart phones and portable GPS units.
Old 12-13-11, 04:10 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

You can buy the top of the line GPS with lifetime free updates at that price from Best Buy, HH Gregg etc.
Old 12-14-11, 06:56 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it may not seem to be the most elegant solution, I prefer sticking a portable GPS (a Garmin) on the lower left corner of my windshield over using the inferior nav system in my 2009. The safety lockout is ridiculous, and its rerouting performance in my locality is a joke. If you put a premium on appearance, maybe it's worth the $$$ to retrofit your dash, but as previously mentioned here, I'd rather buy an add-on gadget that really works.
Old 12-14-11, 08:53 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

The GPS on my '11 Impala is also mounted on the dashboard, drivers side in front of the inspection sticker placement. I prefer there as to the middle of the windshield just below the rear view mirror. I also had the cord routed under the dash and it ends up in the front console near the cigarette lighter. For some reason, could not direct wire into fuse box. Works and looks super.
Old 12-14-11, 04:45 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The factory NAV system happened to be on this 2008 ES we just bought. If I had a choice, I would not bother with the factory NAV, considering we use any NAV system very little. I find the factory system to be mostly a distraction. But, since the car was about as perfect as you can get in a used car, we bought it anyway. We don't see many used Lexus in Grand Junction.

Our system hasn't been updated since new (2007 or 2008?) and it's really funny to hear what happens when we're driving on new roads built since then. She gets so confused it makes us laugh. If an update is really $200-300, it won't get updated either. Garmin charges only $50, with lifetime (4 per year, forever) at $89.
Old 12-14-11, 05:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
The factory NAV system happened to be on this 2008 ES we just bought. If I had a choice, I would not bother with the factory NAV, considering we use any NAV system very little. I find the factory system to be mostly a distraction. But, since the car was about as perfect as you can get in a used car, we bought it anyway. We don't see many used Lexus in Grand Junction.

Our system hasn't been updated since new (2007 or 2008?) and it's really funny to hear what happens when we're driving on new roads built since then. She gets so confused it makes us laugh. If an update is really $200-300, it won't get updated either. Garmin charges only $50, with lifetime (4 per year, forever) at $89.
I think the nav update on the previous gen models will cost less than the $200-$300 on the new generation. Not sure how much it is but I'm sure some owners can give you an estimate. It might be worth it to you if the price is more reasonable.
Old 12-14-11, 07:42 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

The latest update disc can be had for about $170 (still expensive).

Some guy had the latest 11.1 version for sale on Craigslist for $45 with a money back guarantee. I took a gamble....

Turns out the disc is a very good looking counterfeit/copy (label doesn't have sharp printing) but it works just fine so I lucked out.

Quick Reply: New ES 350 Owner