ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Hella Horn DIY Install/Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 10:37 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Hella Horn DIY Install/Replacement

If you are like me, and find that most car horns are a bit inadequate (even our ES horns) when it comes to getting the attention of other drivers who aren't paying attention, then read on.....

Hella (known for their automotive lights) also makes some car horns. I have had two pair of these for at least 20 years and swap them from car to car if it's an easy swap. Well, swapping out the original horns on the ES and putting in some Hella horns is as simple as can be.

Here's a link to the horns I used:

http://cat.hella.com/hella-nafta/jsp...lla-USA@CT@F04

Unfortunately, these horns aren't cheap. Here's a set on eBay for $68.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-Supert...sories&vxp=mtr

Expensive, but totally worth it IMHO. There were several sets on eBay today, but some are even more expensive.

Start by opening the hood and removing the front "cover" which is held on by seven clips. Removal of these covers is described in the owners manual, but it takes about 2 minutes tops.

Look between the grille and the radiator and you will see the two factory horns. As you can see, there's plenty of room for horns that are a bit larger (like the Hellas). Use a 12mm wrench or socket and remove the old horns, unplugging the single wire that goes to each horn. Set the horns aside.

Install the gold-colored bracket that comes with the Hella horns on the back of each Hella horn, ensuring that the two connectors are facing down (not behind the bracket, or on either side. Tighten the nuts holding the brackets with a 13mm wrench.

The Hella horns have both a + and - connector. You must make a jumper that will run from the - connector to the 12mm Lexus bolt. This jumper wire will be 5-6 inches long. I used 14 gauge wire, with a 1/4" push-on crimp-type for the - connector end and a large ring-type connecter for the ground (behind the Lexus 12mm bolt). Just strip the wires and crimp on your connectors. These wires are required--Hella horns won't work without them.

Install your ground wire on the - (negative terminal) of each horn. The Hella horns don't care which side they are on--left or right, it doesn't matter. Grab one Hella horn and push the Lexus connector onto the + (positive) terminal. Then using the 12mm Lexus bolt, slip the ring connector over the bolt and screw the bolt back into its hole, through the Hella bracket. Test the horn to see if it works. Mine worked fine! Install the second horn just like the first one. Test to make sure both work.

All that's left is to re-install the cover, re-using the original seven clips.

I already had the jumpers for my horns from previous cars, so the entire swap only took me about 10-15 minutes. It will take a few minutes longer to make the jumper wires.

I have never blown a fuse with these horns. They draw about the same current as the original Lexus horns. If the red paint bothers you, cover it with black electrical tape or carefully mask off the rest of the horn and paint the red part black.

You are done and your new horn is MUCH louder than the original horn and will really wake up those sleepy drivers out there, even if they are distracted by using their cell phone.

Save the original horns so you can put them back on when you decide to sell the ES.
Old 12-09-11, 05:36 PM
JohnS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You had me until the part about creating my own jumper connector...just don't know how to do that and too scared to try!
Old 12-10-11, 04:28 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnS
You had me until the part about creating my own jumper connector...just don't know how to do that and too scared to try!
Sorry 'bout that. The reason the Hella horns have two connectors on them instead of one is that some cars actually have (what I consider) a backward system for their horns, where +12V is sent to the horn all the time and when you push the horn button, you connect the ground (-) to the horn to make it play. Most cars these days use the mounting bolts as ground (-) and send the +12V to the horn when the button is pressed. One wire instead of two--much simpler & cheaper too.

Anyway, I digress. The jumper is only a short (6" or so) piece of 14, 12 or 16 gauge (pick one) insulated wire with two crimped-on connectors: one 1/4" fast-on (for the - connector on the horn) and the ring on the other end for the ground. If you don't have any of the supplies needed to make the connectors, they shouldn't cost more than $10 or so, including the crimp tool. Harbor Freight or about any auto parts store, like Auto Zone, should have the stuff in stock.

I guess it seems simple to me because I hve done wiring all my life: House wiring (re-wired my parents entire basement), car wiring (once I completely rewired a Fiat 850 race car), electronics (actually my job/career for many years), power tools & appliances (can't count the number of these things I've fixed), etc.

Maybe I could just build a couple for you. Let me know.....
Old 04-13-12, 07:50 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya can you post some pictures? This looks way confusing.
Old 04-14-12, 06:33 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Sorry, no photos and no time available to take any for awhile.

My horns are MANY years old, and I haven't seen any of the Hella horns offered for sale locally for a long time. I can only assume they haven't changed much--no reason for them to change IMHO.

On the back of each horn are TWO terminals/connectors. Only two. One should be marked positive (+) and one negative(-). These are standard 1/4" push-on connectors. The negative (-) must be grounded to the car's frame--using a jumper as I described. Then simply push the factory horn connector (one wire) onto the positive (+) terminal.

1/4" connectors are used in everything from appliances to computers. They are a standard item and you should be able to buy a complete "kit" including a crimping tool and many connectors at almost any auto parts store or hardware store for about $10 or so. The ring connectors I used on the jumper wires may be a bit more difficult to find, and if so, simply strip about 1"-2" off that end and wrap the bare wire around the mounting bolt before you screw it in. Sandwich the wire between two washers if you can, but you don't have to.