ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Change XM start up channel and/or default settings on 2008 ES350??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 07:14 AM
MBaker99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change XM start up channel and/or default settings on 2008 ES350??

Greetings, folks. I just have to say that this is a _remarkable_ forum; having just found it today (for reasons I am about to describe) I am amazed at the amount of information you all have and share with one another. I feel lucky to have found Club Lexus today.

My dear parents have recently obtained a 2008 Lexus ES350 and are thrilled with their new car. But there is one very small matter which is bothering them (and as tiny as this issue is, I can actually understand why it's annoying them): upon starting their XM radio, the default start station is a channel which is entirely not to their liking. I have promised (silly of me?) that I'd try to help them with this, and I wonder if any of you kind (or less than kind) folks reading this can offer a specific suggestion (including which buttons to use!) as to how to go about changing this default start station.

In the alternative, does anyone know the correct/best manner by which I can instruct them as to how to change to the default factory settings on their radio? I suppose that if nothing else works, that will, as I would imagine that the factory default will either start the radio on it's last played channel or on XM channel 1.

Thank you all so much in advance for your help; I really hope that some helpful person finds this message and can give me some specific instructions as to how to change these settings.

Best regards and happy holidays to all.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by MBaker99; 12-02-11 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 05:42 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure the only reason it's on channel 1 is because they don't have a subscription. If you change to any channel it'll pop back over to 1 if you don't have a subscription. My 2008 came w/ the factory XM reciever and if I flip it to SAT all I get is channel 1 - it's the XM preview channel.

For at least part of November XM was offering a free trial of select channels - maybe 2 dozen or so. During that time if I left it on a certain channel it would always return to it when I powered on the stereo or flipped over to SAT. Then as of today, Dec 1st the free trial was done and it only works on channel 1.
Old 12-02-11, 06:18 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

The years I had the factory XM, it always started on the channel I left it on. I have no idea how it works without a subscription though. I activated XM as I followed my wife on the way home from the dealership. It was a couple hours drive and she couldn't take not having her favorite music. As I was talking to the XM rep, I saw her start "rocking out" when each channel was turned on.
Old 12-02-11, 07:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I'm pretty sure the only reason it's on channel 1 is because they don't have a subscription. If you change to any channel it'll pop back over to 1 if you don't have a subscription. My 2008 came w/ the factory XM reciever and if I flip it to SAT all I get is channel 1 - it's the XM preview channel.

For at least part of November XM was offering a free trial of select channels - maybe 2 dozen or so. During that time if I left it on a certain channel it would always return to it when I powered on the stereo or flipped over to SAT. Then as of today, Dec 1st the free trial was done and it only works on channel 1.
I too let my XM subscription expire (before recently renewing it for a year @ $77) and it would always go back to channel 1, the preview channel.

It sounds like the OP's parent's car is pre-owned and may not have an active subscription.

Last edited by LexBob2; 12-02-11 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-02-11, 12:45 PM
MBaker99
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for your responses, folks. They are very much appreciated.

The car has an _active_ subscription, and the radio doesn't default to channel one (I corrected the portion of the OP which mistakenly gave that impression), but rather to another channel. What I am seeking is simply the (shall I call them "schematic") steps to reset the radio to the factory settings given that they are not in the owners manual and that the car is in a state far away from where I am.

Thanks again, friends. Perhaps one of you may yet be able to set forth the steps I need to tell them in order to get back to default settings. I'd be most appreciative of that.

With regard,
MBaker

Last edited by MBaker99; 12-02-11 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 09:08 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MBaker99
What I am seeking is simply the (shall I call them "schematic") steps to reset the radio to the factory settings given that they are not in the owners manual and that the car is in a state far away from where I am.
We are having difficulty providing this because there are no radio settings like this. There are no settings on the radio other than bass and treble type ones.

You need to do a test. Have your parents leave the radio on XM 38 (Boneyard). The next day, find out what channel it is on when they start the car.