ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Es 350 brake job estimate

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 08:01 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
To check for warped rotors all you need to do is pull the wheel and using a dial indicator check for run out of the rotor while turning by hand. Simple process.
or, if you don't have a dial indicator, hold a ruler up to the top half of the rotor and look down it while you turn it. You'll see any highs/lows against the straight edge.
Old 10-11-12, 03:51 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

My acura dealer can do front brakes on tl fo 200$, why lexus is 340$
Old 10-11-12, 05:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoingHaam
you guys must be really hard on your brakes? i have never warped a set of rotor before..
I've been driving for many years with many vehicles and never had a warped rotor problem.
On my '12.I've had a rotor problem at 2500 miles,Dealer cut rotors and they warped again a few hundred miles later.New rotors installed.Will see how it goes.
A Lexus mechanic here said that some ES350's have warping rotor problems.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-11-12 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-11-12, 05:56 AM
chefchoy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had warped rotors once before, but that was when I lived in the mountains, and pretty sure that was my fault. That was on my Suburban.
Old 10-11-12, 06:51 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Flat land living is not as hard on rotors versus hill and mountainous areas. In Northeast PA, I have gone through many a rotor. I treat the brake and gas pedals as off and on. I don't bother with cutting, just replacement. The $$ spent for cutting acts as my discount for new ones (plus the installation of the cut ones).
Old 10-11-12, 06:57 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Warped rotors usually happen because of severe braking conditions (police cars, taxis, mountain areas etc.) causing a lot of heat in the braking system. I used to see it a lot at the Ford dealer I worked for when the local PD sent cruisers in for service. They're definitely not a myth, as some would have you believe. They're rare in an every day driver, but at least in New England, some people drive their cars as hard as police cars and taxis particularly with regards to stop-n-go traffic.
Old 10-11-12, 10:09 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brake pads will definitely wear down. When that happens and you take it in for service .....here comes another controversial thing:
I can almost guarantee you every shop and dealer will say to turn or machine the rotors so that the new pads will bite or make contact correctly. But do you have to? I don't think so. But many will try to convince you to and consequently the thinned rotors will warp a lot easier. It is HIGHLY unlike a rotor can be turned twice (gotta check specs) and they make a killing replacing pads and rotors. It is this reason I do all my brakes myself now as well as changing the brake fluids.

When the time comes for the es350, I will do it myself and maybe post a DIY.

Warped rotors aren't that uncommon imo. to GoingHaam , how many miles do you get out of a set of rotors and who does your brakes?
Old 10-11-12, 10:26 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cl206
Brake pads will definitely wear down. When that happens and you take it in for service .....here comes another controversial thing:
I can almost guarantee you every shop and dealer will say to turn or machine the rotors so that the new pads will bite or make contact correctly. But do you have to? I don't think so. But many will try to convince you to and consequently the thinned rotors will warp a lot easier. It is HIGHLY unlike a rotor can be turned twice (gotta check specs) and they make a killing replacing pads and rotors. It is this reason I do all my brakes myself now as well as changing the brake fluids.

When the time comes for the es350, I will do it myself and maybe post a DIY.

Warped rotors aren't that uncommon imo. to GoingHaam , how many miles do you get out of a set of rotors and who does your brakes?
If your rotors are scored, or glazed over, you should have them turned so long as there is enough material there to be within spec. Certain lower quality pads score and glaze rotors faster than higher quality ones. Me personally, I'd rather spend $50 to get them turned during the service to get more life out of them. Or, you can be wasteful like BMW and when a car comes in for brakes you replace all the pads and all the rotors every time.
Old 10-11-12, 11:10 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
If your rotors are scored, or glazed over, you should have them turned so long as there is enough material there to be within spec. Certain lower quality pads score and glaze rotors faster than higher quality ones. Me personally, I'd rather spend $50 to get them turned during the service to get more life out of them. Or, you can be wasteful like BMW and when a car comes in for brakes you replace all the pads and all the rotors every time.
Yes if they are scored or glazed, you should either turn them or replace them. My point was that dealers and shops will almost always push you to machine them even if they are in good shape with the pretext I mentioned earlier.
Old 10-11-12, 12:13 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know back when I had a pontiac, which was a couple years ago, I bought brand new rotors and they were warped out of the box. Apparently this can happen when you buy ****ty rotors, where the rotors solidify incorrectly, forming a huge bump on the rotor.
Old 10-11-12, 12:30 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
I know back when I had a pontiac

well there's your first problem.....
Old 10-11-12, 12:51 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When Lexus replaced the rear brake pads on our 2007 Ultra under recall / warranty, they just replaced the pads, no rotor work. This was done at around 19,000 mile \s and they lasted hopefully past my trade in of the car at 58,000 miles.
Old 10-11-12, 05:57 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
well there's your first problem.....
haha, hey hey, it was my first car when I was 16. It lasted a good 5 years (10 years in the family), so not much to complain about.
Old 10-12-12, 10:21 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I typically replace the rotors when the brakes come off. Some call it costly; however turning guarantees that I'll have them warped again (as others have said, and quicker!). DIY definitely makes the cost more affordable, and it's just a little $$/insurance every time I hit the brakes.
Old 10-12-12, 10:30 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mlacomb
I typically replace the rotors when the brakes come off. Some call it costly; however turning guarantees that I'll have them warped again (as others have said, and quicker!). DIY definitely makes the cost more affordable, and it's just a little $$/insurance every time I hit the brakes.
pennywise and dollar foolish IMO...even if you turn the rotors and they warp again in 2k miles, you still got 2k more miles out of that set of rotors, resulting in less expenditure on rotors over the life of the car. Especially if you DIY, then the labor to pull it again is free.

Quick Reply: Es 350 brake job estimate