ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES 350 Starting Problems

Old 08-16-11, 04:50 AM
Gurleyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 ES 350 Starting Problems

I just joined the forum so I apologize if this topic has been covered before. Over the last 6 months I have been having intermittent starting problems with my ES350. I push the start button and the starter did not engage. The green light appeared on the starter button. It would eventually start if I pushed the button several times. Except for once when it refused to start and I had to towed to the dealership. in Houston. I had replaced the car battery and the batter in the key fob. The dealership kept the car for 2 weeks trying to duplicate the problem. It happened to them once but they didn't have the car where they could do the diagnostic work on it. They finally ended up replacing the starter button. Everything worked fine for two months and a couple of weeks ago I tried to start the car and it said it couldn't recognize the key even though I had it in my pocket. I held it closer to the switch and it started. Since that happened, it started doing the same thing again where the starter doesn't engage when I push the button. I pushed it several times and it finally started. I would appreciate any help. The dealership of course says this is the first time they have ever seen this happen.
Old 08-16-11, 06:52 AM
flipp4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the car just not start? or does nothing happen? If you hit the start button and everything comes on but doesnt start then to me that would mean that its reading the key fine, maybe theres a brake switch problem seeing as how thats how to start it besides the button.

If you foot is on the brake and you hit the button and nothing at all happens then it could be that the batt in the key fob is going dead?
Old 08-16-11, 08:19 AM
Gurleyman
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 ES350 Starting Problems

I have already replaced the battery in the key fob and the green light comes on the starter button when I push the brake pedal in so I don't think it is the switch on the brake pedal.
Old 08-16-11, 08:45 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I have had a 4Runner, a Camry and a Ford that acted like that and after more than one battery - my first rule is "it's always the battery" -and an ignition switch in one case the problem was a bad starter each time. Something about a burned spot on the armature. I still think my first rule is usually correct though and I try to keep telling myself I'm right. Maybe I should be rethinking that position.

Dave Mac
Old 08-16-11, 05:25 PM
Gurleyman
Driver School Candidate

I like you replaced the battery when all this started. The Lexus dealership replaced the switch so those two have been eliminated. It did it again during lunch today. Had to hit the switch 8 times before it started. I talked to the dealership again and they said to bring it in and they would try to find it. I was also suspecting the starter.
Old 08-16-11, 10:01 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you try your other key fob? If the start switch light is consistantly turning green on every attempt to start the engine then I'm surprised that the dealer didn't replace the start relay (it'll be in one of the relay/fuse boxes). The starter solenoid (integral with the starter assembly) or an intermittent electrical connection issue in the start circuit or the starter circuit could be the problem here as well.
Old 08-17-11, 04:53 AM
Gurleyman
Driver School Candidate

Yep, tried the other key fob this morning when it didn't start on the first push and it took two more pushes of the button to start it when I used the second key fob. I hate these intermittent electical problems. They are so difficult to diagnose. I am not sure the dealer will be able to locate it even if they can put it on a machine when it is happening. It's not like they haven't already tried. What ever is causing it doesn't get stored in the computer as a problem.
Old 08-17-11, 06:38 AM
flipp4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

time to bring it back and get a new one, lol
Old 02-16-17, 08:22 PM
Baldel
Driver School Candidate

Default ES350 Starting Issue

Originally Posted by Gurleyman
I just joined the forum so I apologize if this topic has been covered before. Over the last 6 months I have been having intermittent starting problems with my ES350. I push the start button and the starter did not engage. The green light appeared on the starter button. It would eventually start if I pushed the button several times. Except for once when it refused to start and I had to towed to the dealership. in Houston. I had replaced the car battery and the batter in the key fob. The dealership kept the car for 2 weeks trying to duplicate the problem. It happened to them once but they didn't have the car where they could do the diagnostic work on it. They finally ended up replacing the starter button. Everything worked fine for two months and a couple of weeks ago I tried to start the car and it said it couldn't recognize the key even though I had it in my pocket. I held it closer to the switch and it started. Since that happened, it started doing the same thing again where the starter doesn't engage when I push the button. I pushed it several times and it finally started. I would appreciate any help. The dealership of course says this is the first time they have ever seen this happen.
2007 ES350 starting problem beginning Nov. 2016: Initial electrical diagnostic indicated NOTHING wrong. 2 months later same issue - step on the brake, push the starter button nothing; alternatively, step on the brake, dash lights come on -still, nothing. After 2 - 3 times, car starts - no problem. Second trip to Lexus resulted in new starter button; 2 months later (today), same issue. Called Lexus who is (now) convinced that the battery is the issue, that since we're retired (for 10 years now), we don't drive it enough miles, that a new battery with a 'trickle charger' whatever that is, will solve the problem. Interesting that the car battery (when we bought it new in 2007) lasted almost 6 1/2/ years w/o a 'trickle charger', going the same mles annually, 10 years later. Anyways, we're getting a new battery tomorrow; keep ALL of your fingers crossed.
Old 02-19-17, 12:04 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

the issues above i have seen in my car two issues that i have with it one popped up after another well ok so not right after another.

but the first time was Thanksgiving 2015 i took it to the dealership they ended up replacing the battery under warranty because i just had the battery replaced 2 years earlier at the dealership.
then it seemed fine for about a week then same stuff happened couldn't even jump start it
took it back in they found that there where very loose connection in the under hood fuse box they tightened them up and repaired that without having to repalce it and it was fine

then about a year latter had the same issue
turned out that it was a loose connection shortage break in the connector for the crankshaft positions sensor or maybe it was the camshaft position sensor not sure wihich one but one of those they replaced the wireing and a new plug on that

and i havn't had any problems with it since.

so before you let them go replacing parts like battersy that get costly ask them to check and see if the ffuse box is loose or if thre is a shortage connection somewhere i would check that out first