ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Replacing Non-Nav Radio in a 2007

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 07:50 AM
dustind
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Luck

I've literally had an order with him since Christmas. He keeps saying that it's on backorder and he's expecting more. Granted he has offered a refund but I can't find anything similar anywhere so I'm still waiting.
Old 04-09-12, 10:17 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Wow! I guess he had a run on the install kits. There is nothing similar. I spent years checking Metra and Scosche to see if they introduced a model without letting us know.

Your other option is fabricating a faceplate from scratch but that is a pain. I was almost to the point of buying an old radio from Ebay and trashing it to make my own install kit.
Old 04-17-12, 06:04 AM
iamjavaki
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue with the eBay supplier and had to get a refund after waiting over 30days. So I decided to check around and ended up ordering this...

www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/327024768-Car-Audio-Frame-for-08-LEXUS-ES350-wholesalers.html
Old 04-17-12, 09:16 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

That's the same kit. But the shipping is unreal. You can order similar items from China for $15 shipping. I've ordered CD's from the UK for $7 shipping (after currency conversion).

Here's the same one cheaper with free shipping - http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html
Still a cheaper model - http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html but I don't know if it is the same.
My search - http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...Id=34&manual=y

Last edited by Robert_J; 04-17-12 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 06:52 PM
dustind
Driver School Candidate

Robert I finally got my kit in from China, it looks great. Now to get to the nuts and bolts of the install. I'm having a hard time finding the adapters I need. I notice you lined out the PAC adapter for the steering wheel and you are using the built in amplifier. I will not be using the built in amplifier and I was wondering if maybe you had a third adapter kit you used on the power side of things? I hate to buy the whole thing when I probably just need the 12 pin harness. Any ideas looking back?

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 05-15-12, 10:29 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

No 3rd kit used. You could probably use a normal, 12 pin harness as long as you didn't connect the speaker wires to anything. That would provide power, ground, illumination, etc wires. The steering wheel adapter would work but you would have to tap into the wires manually instead of using the special plug that comes with the SW1 to connect to the TATO.

I did use an AXXISS (or some similar spelling) steering wheel control and a 12 ping harness to connect the same head unit into a Camry. The other controller did not require programming. I connected the wires, turned it on and it worked the first time. Now, the Camry doesn't have phone controls on the steering wheel.

Are you going to use the head unit to power the speakers or a separate amp?
Old 07-17-12, 05:36 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick Q Robert_J:

I've been spoiled as well by using the bluetooth functionality for on-the-road calls. I guess it comes down to this - does the unit you're using tie into the stock microphone, and is it comparable to the Lexus unit in terms of others hearing you?
Old 07-17-12, 06:17 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

It comes with it's own mic. I was running short on time when I installed it and didn't hook up the bluetooth during the original install. My wife has been on my rear to hook it up except the weather (100+ temp) hasn't been cooperative. Now that I have her bass **** in, I have 2 reasons to open up the dash again.

That said, I installed the same radio in our niece's Camry. I put the mic near the sun visor hinge and it works great for her. There are dozens of reviews on this radio and similar Pioneer models that use the same mic and internals. They are all relatively positive.

Make that 3 reasons. I have to bypass the parking brake bypass. It works perfectly for watching DVDs while the car is moving. It doesn't work with the automatic calibration mic because the radio starts off in the "off" mode. It tries to sense the parking brake first. Since the parking brake sensor is triggered by the power antenna turn-on and that only works when the radio is in the "on" position, it won't start the auto-calibration routine.
Old 07-17-12, 01:34 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Thanks for the update. Maybe I could find a way when that day comes to hide the new mic, I love that I don't see mine at all and would love to not have one sticking out somewhere.
Old 07-17-12, 02:42 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

If you have a dark interior, you will never notice it. My headliner/visor is the off-white. It will be visible but not bad. I had to point out my niece's mic to her. On the other hand, if it isn't attached to her iPhone, she rarely notices the world around her.
Old 07-18-12, 07:27 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Light interior here; I figure when the time comes I can put the new mic in the factory spot if they don't appear to be compatible (impedance or otherwise.)
Old 07-19-12, 05:53 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I haven't looked for it, but where is the factory mic? From there, you would have to find the 2 lines on the wiring harness and tap into them. Not that it is impossible, I like a good challenge.
Old 07-20-12, 05:13 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

From what I can tell, mine's up in with the map lights; will try to get a picture later.
Old 07-20-12, 09:05 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

This is of a 2010, but my 2008 has a similar arrangement, just no safety connect etc. The 3 holes closest to the top of the photo (middle) are where I believe the stock microphone is located.
Old 07-20-12, 11:07 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

There is no way I would attempt to put the mic there. Running the wires would be a pain. On the other hand, the plug into the radio is only a 1/8" mono jack. If you could find the two wires from the mic, it would be a cheap test to see if it would work.

Quick Reply: Replacing Non-Nav Radio in a 2007