ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

CPO needs new rotors at first service?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 03:34 PM
drjg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO needs new rotors at first service?!?

I purchased a CPO 2007 ES 350 (35K miles) 5 months ago. Today I brought it to the dealership for the first service. The rotors were nearly completely worn down owing to driving around with worn brake pads. If the brake pads had met the CPO standards prior to selling me the car, is it possible that they could be so worn down as to need new rotors in 5 months? In 5 months, I have put only 3K miles on the car. I know pads and rotors are not covered under the CPO, but I feel like the pads must not have been in acceptable condition when the car was sold to me to cause this much damage in such a short time. Do you think there is any recourse with the dealership?
Old 06-24-11, 06:27 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by drjg
I purchased a CPO 2007 ES 350 (35K miles) 5 months ago. Today I brought it to the dealership for the first service. The rotors were nearly completely worn down owing to driving around with worn brake pads. If the brake pads had met the CPO standards prior to selling me the car, is it possible that they could be so worn down as to need new rotors in 5 months? In 5 months, I have put only 3K miles on the car. I know pads and rotors are not covered under the CPO, but I feel like the pads must not have been in acceptable condition when the car was sold to me to cause this much damage in such a short time. Do you think there is any recourse with the dealership?
I would have expected the pads and rotors to be in spec and good used condition. If the pads were worn down to the backing plate you would have been hearing a lot of grinding noise while you were stopping. You would also see grooves in the rotor surface. Unless it is to late ask the dealer to show you the bad parts . I would also challenge them on the 3K miles that you put on that wore out the pads. If that was the case I would press them to change them at their cost. You need them to show you that they are out of spec. Also I always tell them to save me the old parts.
Old 06-24-11, 06:42 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, if either the rotors or the pads were worn to this extent they should have been replaced prior to sale as a CPO car. They recommend replacement much sooner than being within 3,000 miles of replacement. Stay on your dealer about this and they should take care of you. If not contact Lexus directly.

And welcome to Club Lexus.

Dave Mac