Window Tint in California

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 03:54 PM
bdar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint in California

Hi guys,

I've been searching over the internet for window tinting front windows and found 2 contradictory info. One said it is not allowed at all, but the other said it is allowed up to 70%. I am confused.
Old 06-15-11, 03:58 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

i also heard that it is 70%.. street legal tint is written down somewhere...
Old 06-15-11, 04:04 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

front is not allowed. i personally wouldnt either just bcs of visibility

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
Old 06-15-11, 04:09 PM
bdar
Driver

Originally Posted by Cartune
front is not allowed. i personally wouldnt either just bcs of visibility

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

Cartune: See, it is confusing. The first link you gave me indicates it allows 70%:

California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.
Old 06-16-11, 12:45 AM
VGBSUPERFL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ca tint law

Originally Posted by bdar
Hi guys,

I've been searching over the internet for window tinting front windows and found 2 contradictory info. One said it is not allowed at all, but the other said it is allowed up to 70%. I am confused.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.
Old 10-24-11, 10:41 AM
ramonf11
Driver School Candidate

I have several years experience working in the business. In California, a lot of officers will tell you that no window tinting is acceptable on the front windows. There is some truth to that. While a VLT of 70% is legal, many people almost mistake that level of darkness with having no tint at all (some people still prefer it for uv/heat protection purposes.) In California, up to 70% is allowed on front, while back is not regulated in terms of darkness. When you do car window tinting, you have to be careful, a lot of officers will pull you over if your tint is over the limit. I get calls for it every day. People end up paying to remove tint they paid good money to have put on. Best to be safe when it comes to tinting laws!!
Old 10-24-11, 10:36 PM
gekae24
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

It is illegal,but if it is lightly tinted PD will let you slide I have 35% all around including my tails and I have no problems with pd... gives the effect of a little darkness but not enough to get pulled over
Old 10-24-11, 10:44 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please keep in mind that not all cops will let you slide. If you get pulled over for something like speeding, they will most likely tack it on if they notice it. Also, if you have a dark interior, the tint will be darker as well