ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Testing Brake Pedal/Throttle Release

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 05:31 AM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Testing Brake Pedal/Throttle Release

When the recall was underway, I declined to have the floor mat/carpeting cut opting instead to have the software changed that releases the throttle when the brake is applied. A short while ago, I tried to test this by holding the throttle at a set speed, then stepping on the brake to see if the throttle would disengage. It did not. Perhaps I am under the wrong impression and the software does not interrupt the throttle signal on brake press. Or am I not testing correctly?

Any ideas?
Old 05-18-11, 08:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by C177 Pilot
When the recall was underway, I declined to have the floor mat/carpeting cut opting instead to have the software changed that releases the throttle when the brake is applied. A short while ago, I tried to test this by holding the throttle at a set speed, then stepping on the brake to see if the throttle would disengage. It did not. Perhaps I am under the wrong impression and the software does not interrupt the throttle signal on brake press. Or am I not testing correctly?

Any ideas?
I tested the throttle override on my '07 after it was done and it worked. The fix was done on my '10 before I took delivery, but I haven't tested it.
Old 05-19-11, 05:13 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Any ideas?

Check again with the dealer. I find it surprising that they would do the SW change without the rest of the mods. My dealer would not let me do the SW only and did the complete change on my 08 and then on my 10 . It worked in both cars . To test it I would drive on the freeway at 70mph and with my left foot step on the brake and the gas shut off just like stepping on the brake while in cruise control. Get it checked out.
Old 08-02-11, 09:53 AM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About a week ago, I received a letter from Lexus saying I needed to perform the recall service, so I set up an appointment with Chandler Lexus. Talking with the service advisor, he said his records show the recall as completed. When I told him about the way I tested it (see above), he said that was an incorrect test. To perform the test, hold the accelerator steady then apply the brakes HARD! This will cause the engine to shut off, allowing you to coast to the side of the road. Yes, I did ask if the records indicate the recall was performed, why did I get another letter? His response - computer generated letter.

I guess this sounds reasonable but I do not wish to perform this test this way, so I will have to take his word that the recall was done.

Any comments?
Old 08-02-11, 10:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

About a week ago, I received a letter from Lexus saying I needed to perform the recall service, so I set up an appointment with Chandler Lexus. Talking with the service advisor, he said his records show the recall as completed. When I told him about the way I tested it (see above), he said that was an incorrect test. To perform the test, hold the accelerator steady then apply the brakes HARD! This will cause the engine to shut off, allowing you to coast to the side of the road. Yes, I did ask if the records indicate the recall was performed, why did I get another letter? His response - computer generated letter.

I guess this sounds reasonable but I do not wish to perform this test this way, so I will have to take his word that the recall was done.

Any comments?
Ed, have you registered your car on lexus.com? When you do and input your VIN you can see the service history and any work that's been done. IIRC the dealer set up my car during the purchase process. I think I set it up myself on the 2007.