ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Panoramic glass roof and noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 04:22 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Panoramic glass roof and noise

Warm weather is coming up, so open up the panoramic glass roof is a must to enjoy the sun and all, but i notice when hit bumps, a clinking noise like something hitting the glass.

My question is general, do you notice rattling and clinking noise from the panoramic roof (for does who have the UL edition) and how do you address it ?

I know that bringing to the dealer under warranty is an option, but i got this saying to me all the time : is an old car now (2008) and it is normal ?

thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 04-24-11, 10:26 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 UL is rattle and clink free. Time to visit your local dealer and take a (bumpy) spin with a tech along for the ride.
Old 04-24-11, 02:11 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is an "old" UL as well and I've had some rubbing noises where the glass and the rubber seals meet but no rattles. The rubbing noise I had were easily addressed with a silicone spray to lubricate the seals. A rattle might be more serious - the dealer will know what to do.
Old 04-24-11, 04:23 PM
1badass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the gasket replace on my 07 ul

No rattles or noises, still going strong.

The only clink is when I open it.

Cheers
Old 04-24-11, 08:32 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

So no sound trouble when hitting BIG BUMPS ??? I quickly check the robustness of the glass and all seem solid...
Old 04-28-11, 04:29 AM
OakvilleES
Driver School Candidate

I have the exact same problem on a 2007 UL. Over big bumps there's rattles - I also have them frequently when backing up from driveway onto the street or when the car goes over a bump at an angle

Dealer - Lexus of Oakville - is clueless, they lubricated the seals/tracks to no avail. Recently I loosened the hex mounting screws of the roof while applying pressure from the top and tightened the screws back. This applied downward pressure on the rubber sealing and seems to have helped a bit

See if this works for you or good luck with your dealer
Old 04-28-11, 01:54 PM
safford197
Driver

I have a '07 UL with 38K miles, and no consistent rattles, there is a TSB...

From the first page of the Current TSB thread:
"NV008-06: Rattle Noise from Headliner Area"

Are you sure it's the sunroof? I'd take it to the dealer and document the complaint - just don't site the TSB, they never seem to respond well to that IMO...
Old 04-28-11, 08:13 PM
OakvilleES
Driver School Candidate

Thanks safford197 I'll give that a shot and look up the TSB you referenced, I thought I saw a TSB on moonroof rattle noise but not for the panoramic, for the standard one

Cheers
Old 05-01-11, 06:57 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

After looking the components of the glass roof, i feel that the rattle is coming from moving swing arm, it does have a suspension feel from it so i guess the string must be loose over time.
Old 05-01-11, 07:02 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by safford197
I have a '07 UL with 38K miles, and no consistent rattles, there is a TSB...

From the first page of the Current TSB thread:
"NV008-06: Rattle Noise from Headliner Area"

Are you sure it's the sunroof? I'd take it to the dealer and document the complaint - just don't site the TSB, they never seem to respond well to that IMO...
I was with the technician when that problem got fixed, two things can cause the rattles, first the light dome when not clipped correctly and second is the roof lining is tapping on the metal module, a foam tape will correct that problem.

If you don't have time to go to the dealer, it can be done DIY in about 10mins.
Old 05-03-11, 12:31 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
I was with the technician when that problem got fixed, two things can cause the rattles, first the light dome when not clipped correctly and second is the roof lining is tapping on the metal module, a foam tape will correct that problem.

If you don't have time to go to the dealer, it can be done DIY in about 10mins.
Could you take a picture to show where it is?
Thanks.
Old 05-03-11, 04:59 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I will do so this week-end. Don't forget, we are talking about the rattle from the bulletin on the roof liner, NOT my problem from the glass roof brakets.

For the rattle on the roof liner on the back seats, i must tell you that i have the UL model with the double moon roofs. In my case, you can see the ceiling light in the middle on the back seats. the overhead liner is very easy to pull out, simply grab the edge and pull the liner down, it is held by clips. You can see very well the TPS module, what happen is the light module is hitting the TPS module on bumps, simply sandwich a foam tape between them and it is done. Plus, when putting the liner back to place, make sure that the light dome is well clip but simply pushing on it, the light doom is held by 2 clips, very easy to remove them.

This tricks WILL solve the rattle for sure.
Old 04-20-15, 07:42 PM
edsones350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blueshark
After looking the components of the glass roof, i feel that the rattle is coming from moving swing arm, it does have a suspension feel from it so i guess the string must be loose over time.
Hi just wondering if there is a fix for this one? im experiencing the same problem too. lexus told me its due to body flexing. they can replace the mechanism for $400 bucks but no guarantee that noise will be gone after. Is there any bolts that we can just tighten?
Old 04-22-15, 03:31 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

No, still have th same issue, i know what causes my rattle from the panoramic glass, the small portion glass part when opened, shake under big bumps like a trempoline effect. It seems that the arms that holds it are weak because of weak springs ? i don't know. That is the first part.

The second part is the large panoramic glass, when open just a little bit, the glass is tapping on the arms, again, probably of the weak springs. I corrected this by putting a rubber double sided tape in the inner glass to absorb the choc.

I've checked all the bolts that hold the panoramic glass, all are tighten.

Yes, replacing the parts would help since others lexus members have no issues with the panoramic glass.

hope that helps
Old 04-24-15, 01:23 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had any issues with my panoramic roof. My ES is a 2012 MY, but has 80K miles on it...

Good luck with your repair.